U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:01 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,694,322 times

Advertisements

State Legislators for LEGAL Immigration.

Lawmakers for Legal Immigration

Petition by these same Legislators demanding removal of all enticements for illegal immigrants and compliance from our government to its own sovereign law. Same website, just goes straight to the petition page.

Lawmakers for Legal Immigration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2007, 09:28 PM

19,183 posts, read 27,756,977 times
Hmmm...here's an even better website...

Dump Daryl Metcalfe (http://www.dumpmetcalfe.com/ - broken link)

Old 05-26-2007, 11:18 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,694,322 times
Of couse you would think so, you are an open borders fanatic. No offense intended there saganista, but then again, because you're proud of your open borders stand, you shouldn't be offended. That's a label you should wear proudly.

Daryl Metcalf is one of a very few elected representatives who is listening to his constituency and doing what they put him in office to do. For this he should be recalled?

I think not.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,022,764 times
Even browsing throughout the light tone of your Metcalfe link, I found myself very put off by its statement that No Child Left Behind is a "good idea." Ask your educator friends if they think teaching to the tests is the best indicator of students understanding subjects.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Of couse you would think so, you are an open borders fanatic. No offense intended there saganista, but then again, because you're proud of your open borders stand, you shouldn't be offended. That's a label you should wear proudly.
I'm not so much in favor of open borders as I am against the adoption of dumb ideas, and those have abounded in this sub-forum. One would think, given that the title of it is Immigration, that some would have bothered to learn a thing or two about what immigration is and why it has happened and will continue to do so. Hasn't been the case from what I have observed here from time to time. What I see instead is routinely falsified data, the afore-mentioned flawed ideas, and a bunch of barely concealed xenophobia and racism. Pardon me if I call a few folks on that sort of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Daryl Metcalf is one of a very few elected representatives who is listening to his constituency and doing what they put him in office to do. For this he should be recalled? I think not.
According to some, he is nothing but a Bible-thumping right-wing snake-oil salesman pandering to public paranoia. Did anyone elect him to do that?

Old 05-27-2007, 11:42 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I'm not so much in favor of open borders as I am against the adoption of dumb ideas, and those have abounded in this sub-forum. One would think, given that the title of it is Immigration, that some would have bothered to learn a thing or two about what immigration is and why it has happened and will continue to do so. Hasn't been the case from what I have observed here from time to time. What I see instead is routinely falsified data, the afore-mentioned flawed ideas, and a bunch of barely concealed xenophobia and racism. Pardon me if I call a few folks on that sort of thing.

According to some, he is nothing but a Bible-thumping right-wing snake-oil salesman pandering to public paranoia. Did anyone elect him to do that?
Do you hire illegal aliens?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Do you hire illegal aliens?
Are you able to tell the difference between a scenario written in the first person and a personal biography?

Old 05-27-2007, 12:47 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,714,475 times
You call people racists and xenophobes yet look at how you yourself admittedly treat illegal aliens that you hire.

Quote:
saganista

903 posts, read 145,817 times
So, here's the deal. I run a landscaping company. I've got to put food on the table, I've got kids to send to college, and hey, don't think I wouldn't like one or two of the nicer things in life for myself too. So I need crews. If I don't have anybody out, I don't make any money. So I need one guy up front who's cleancut, speaks some english, and can follow instructions, then I need four or five guys who can mow lawns, haul sod, stack wood, clean gutters, rake leaves, cut brush, blow debris, and spead mulch sun-up to sun-down all day every day for as long as the weather is good. Mostly March to November. So who am I going to hire, white guys? Forget it, there aren't any. It's 99% hispanics. So the ones that are legal, I've got to pay $100 a day. $75 to them and the other $25 to taxes and crap. But the illegal ones, them I can pay the same $75 off the books. In fact, I can pay them $60 and tell them that if they cry about it, I'll have immigration all over them in no time.
As for telling an employee take the $60 or I will have immigration all over you, all I know is this- I wouldn't do it. And you call others names? Look at your own behavior!
Quote:
What are they going to do, complain? To who? They're in the same boat as me. They've got a wife and five kids on some dirt farm in Honduras or whatever that they've got to keep up too. They need me more than I need them, so they take it and shut up, and that $40 a day that I save goes part in my pocket and part to help me keep lowballing bids to customers which is what keeps the work coming in. So yeah, this whole company is based on there being plenty of illegals out there, so the last thing this country needs is some amnesty crap. We'd have to shut down if I couldn't hire illegals. Unless everybody was caught in the same boat. Then I guess we'd all just raise our prices and try to keep working, only with all legals this time. But a job I'd do now for $1200 would maybe go for $1700 instead. And people would go back to doing their own yard work, or just let the place go to pot, or some would just pay up and pass the increase on to others wherever they could. I don't know. Might have to be $1800 if the pot is going to get smaller like that. I'd need to make more on each job if that happened, but maybe we could still give it a go. Kind of funny though. If that happened, all the people who complain about how they have to pay the taxes to cover all the costs for these illegals would just be paying me so that I could send the money off to the government to cover all the same costs for the very same people. Either pay me or pay Uncle Sam, I guess, but pay either way? Crazy world when you think about it.

Old 05-27-2007, 02:22 PM

Well, at least you have answered the question as to whether you are able to tell the difference between a scenario written in the first person and a personal biography.

Old 05-27-2007, 03:58 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,876,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post

You do not want to equate the Bible/Christianity with snake oil salesmen or pandering to public paranoia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration