Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,670,280 times

Advertisements

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger floated a different approach to trimming down California’s bloated prison budget on Monday: pay Mexico to build new prisons and ship off California’s incarcerated illegal immigrants south of the border.

The Republican governor has pushed to house California inmates out-of-state before -- but never in a different country.

Schwarzenegger: Send prisoners to Mexico | California Politics | Los Angeles Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Arnold is in BIG trouble...and he knows it. His approval rating, I believe, is now in the 'teens', and even his own party is ready to toss him out. Our state has 12% of the US population, but 36% of US welfare recipients. We are literally going broke.

We have the highest number of illegals in the US. A signficant number of our prison inmates are illegal immigrants...and the majority of these are from Mexico. So should we 'ship' these people (incarcerated illegal Mexicans) home, and pay Mexico to house them while they serve out their sentences? Why not? It costs us about $55,000 per inmate, per year, to keep a person in prison. Could we pay Mexico $30,000 per year to do the same thing? Probably.

In fact, why don't we be honest, contact the Mexican government, and figure out exactly who, among the population of Mexico, is likely to be the NEXT group of illegals to head north, in 2011, or 2012? We could then contact these people, (the 'future illegals', if you will) and pay them $20,000 per year per family to STAY HOME. It would be MUCH cheaper than dealing with them in bankrupt California, and Mexico could quit 'fuming' about our treatment of 'their' wandering citizens.

This may sound like a 'nutty' idea....but we live in 'nutty' times. The largest (by population) state in the USA is on the verge of financial collapse. Its middle class is 'on the ropes', and we're well on our way to a Third World '2-level' society....a HUGE number of very rich, and a HUGE number of very poor...but very few in the 'Middle Class'. And that CAN'T be good. Meanwhile, Mexico is right next door...its stability threatened by an increasingly nasty 'narco-war', and ten percent of its population in the USA, where they're apparently none too happy to be, and none too eager to assimilate, viewing their own culture as preferable to ours, except when it comes to 'benefits'.

Maybe 'nutty' ideas are all we have left...traditional approaches don't seem to be working. Paying a foreign country to 'repatriate' their own citizens who've run afoul of our criminal justice system may seem 'weird', but I'm sure it's no weirder than a lot of other things we'll be facing in the coming years. If we can "pay farmers not to farm", why can't we "pay illegals to stay home"?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,914,172 times
we can't be a country that continues to run on the theory that it is a good idea to REWARD BAD BEHAVIOR, that's why!

other countries have to learn to fix their own problems and we don't have to be a safety valve for another country.

we now have an idiotic approach to the taliban where we are not only trying to kill them, but we are trying to buy them off as well, and we not only try to kill them but we give them a public forum here while we fight them there. we don't profile on airplanes but we do ramp up aggression overseas. all of this, of course, is completely insane.

our country will not be able to function much longer with so many idiotic policies in place. americans are NOT RESPONSIBLE for fixing mexico's economic problems, because we have problems of our own to handle. mexico had a natural resource, oil, which they blew and now their oil fields are in decline.

since when should americans have to pay to employ workers in another country?

Last edited by floridasandy; 01-25-2010 at 05:36 PM..

Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
brillant. dropping them off at the border is not working.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Arnold is in BIG trouble...and he knows it. His approval rating, I believe, is now in the 'teens', and even his own party is ready to toss him out. Our state has 12% of the US population, but 36% of US welfare recipients. We are literally going broke.
What California needs is more sanctuary cities.

//Sarcasm Off

So Arnie wants to pay California money to Mexico? That sounds like a fine solution to me.

Ever ask yourself why the bluer a state is the more it's in the red?

Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
It's about time and it only took him 7 1/2 years to come to this conclusion?Typical hypocrite politician.Even though I agree with this 100% nothing and I mean nothing is going to save this idiot's legacy of being ineffective.First he defends said Illegals for over 7 years and now he sees the light.He' trying to find a wayout for his reputation of being an enemy of the working class California citizens for the last 7 years.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM

mexico doesn't effectively enforce their laws now due to all the corruption, so what makes arnold even think that those prisoners wouldn't be back across the border after the poor american taxpayers paid for all of mexico's spanking new prisons? DUH!

Old 01-25-2010, 06:00 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
damm yall beat me to the punch!!!

i like this idea. so far.

compare the costs of building here and building down south? down south is cheaper.
its better than just letting them go.
further i think they should chip all those violent offenders so that when they get out of [mexican] prison we can ensure they are not back on our side.

i like this idea.

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM

i suggest that we send them back without paying for their new prisons......

Old 01-25-2010, 06:13 PM

706 posts, read 940,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
mexico doesn't effectively enforce their laws now due to all the corruption, so what makes arnold even think that those prisoners wouldn't be back across the border after the poor american taxpayers paid for all of mexico's spanking new prisons? DUH!

Excellent point.
There is no guarantee that mexico would comply with any of the part of the agreement....other than taking the money, of course. They don't want anybody back...especially criminals.

I like the idea, but it won't fly. someone in Sacramento, Washington, or mexico will see to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration