U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,113 times
Reputation: 135

Advertisements

I don't know the answer to this question myself. Since all the talk of state sovereignty in the past year I have been asking myself many questions. What keeps each border state from securing its own border? Could the state legislature pass a state bill and fund it. Could we build a wall and secure the border state by state?

That would move us to another point. Libvoice thought of trying to charge the countries that illegal immigrants came from, but lets take it a step further. Example, if Texas secured its border could we then not monitor people crossing in from New Mexico and charge THAT state for allowing illegals to cross thru on their way to Texas? I see that being much easier than charging another country. Maybe cut federal funding to that state if they are repeat illegal supporters. D.C. will not help us. I find it may be much easier this way anyways. Think about it. What other states beside the border states really care about illegal immigration in the capacity we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-26-2010, 05:55 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,028 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
I don't know the answer to this question myself. Since all the talk of state sovereignty in the past year I have been asking myself many questions. What keeps each border state from securing its own border? Could the state legislature pass a state bill and fund it. Could we build a wall and secure the border state by state?

That would move us to another point. Libvoice thought of trying to charge the countries that illegal immigrants came from, but lets take it a step further. Example, if Texas secured its border could we then not monitor people crossing in from New Mexico and charge THAT state for allowing illegals to cross thru on their way to Texas? I see that being much easier than charging another country. Maybe cut federal funding to that state if they are repeat illegal supporters. D.C. will not help us. I find it may be much easier this way anyways. Think about it. What other states beside the border states really care about illegal immigration in the capacity we do?
Good question.
The excuse I see used most often is that "it" is a federal responsibility. However, Arizona has shown some backbone.
Overall, I believe it is a lack of committment from state politicians to address the issue using other methods, such as cutting of all benefits to illegals.
jmo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,113 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Good question.
The excuse I see used most often is that "it" is a federal responsibility. However, Arizona has shown some backbone.
Overall, I believe it is a lack of committment from state politicians to address the issue using other methods, such as cutting of all benefits to illegals.
jmo
Here in Texas we have a LARGE tea party support group. I wonder if that may be enough. I wonder if a bill board campaign would help. If we could hit a key demo thru the help of Fox News or another large outlet I feel we may be able to pressure them. I wonder what it would take to put together a cost-benefit analysis together and just present it to the governors’ office. This also includes a serious risk to national defense. If it could be seen in that light as well I feel in way help to rally support.

I still wonder what the legal limitations are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 06:13 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,028 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Here in Texas we have a LARGE tea party support group. I wonder if that may be enough. I wonder if a bill board campaign would help. If we could hit a key demo thru the help of Fox News or another large outlet I feel we may be able to pressure them. I wonder what it would take to put together a cost-benefit analysis together and just present it to the governors’ office. This also includes a serious risk to national defense. If it could be seen in that light as well I feel in way help to rally support.

I still wonder what the legal limitations are.
Any effort to highlight the necessity of border enforcement is a good idea, just remember that You will be up against a lot of money to financing the opposition, as well as the media who are hell bent to ignore any attempt any support any border enforcement groups.....unless it can be shown in a negative light.

Maybe someone is familiar with the legal limitations on states, and will help out here..
I'll do some research later...

BL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,113 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Any effort to highlight the necessity of border enforcement is a good idea, just remember that You will be up against a lot of money to financing the opposition, as well as the media who are hell bent to ignore any attempt any support any border enforcement groups.....unless it can be shown in a negative light.

Maybe someone is familiar with the legal limitations on states, and will help out here..
I'll do some research later...

BL
Any help is appreciated. I am willing to invest about 15-20k in a specific area in billboards. I am thinking that would be the best approch. If enough people call to complain and/or support at least it may help to increase awareness. Im just feeling out the idea right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 06:32 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,028 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
Any help is appreciated. I am willing to invest about 15-20k in a specific area in billboards. I am thinking that would be the best approch. If enough people call to complain and/or support at least it may help to increase awareness. Im just feeling out the idea right now.
I would hold back on spending any money....at least for now....that kind of invesment deserves a lot of research....and participation.

Good luck though...

BL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Texas
470 posts, read 508,113 times
Reputation: 135
I am waiting, I would just like to see if this cyber support translates in to real world foot work. I have thought of making an indy film, but the vast majority of people who watch indy films and rate them are quite slanted. I have no issue with spending some money and taking a lot of heat just so long as the results are there. Illegal immigration is sucha touchy subject with so many politicians I just think its time to take another approach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Good question.
The excuse I see used most often is that "it" is a federal responsibility. However, Arizona has shown some backbone.
Overall, I believe it is a lack of committment from state politicians to address the issue using other methods, such as cutting of all benefits to illegals.
jmo
The key IMHO is individual states stepping up: Arizona, Oklahoma, etc.-------------like the Civil Rights Movement of another era. Translation: the Feds will be forced to something about illegal immigration and soon.

Amnesty for illegal aliens=Jim Crow against Blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-26-2010, 06:47 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,028 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
I am waiting, I would just like to see if this cyber support translates in to real world foot work. I have thought of making an indy film, but the vast majority of people who watch indy films and rate them are quite slanted. I have no issue with spending some money and taking a lot of heat just so long as the results are there. Illegal immigration is sucha touchy subject with so many politicians I just think its time to take another approach.

Find those locally that You have access to, "fire a shot across their bow" and then go after them...use any method you find available....requst a "townhall" meeting with them, and if they agree, load up with facts and go get'em.....

If they refuse to meet (which they will) ...then go after them in any method that is legal....and be relentless...

BL

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM
 
Location: California
706 posts, read 796,028 times
Reputation: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam0084 View Post
I don't know the answer to this question myself. Since all the talk of state sovereignty in the past year I have been asking myself many questions. What keeps each border state from securing its own border? Could the state legislature pass a state bill and fund it. Could we build a wall and secure the border state by state?

That would move us to another point. Libvoice thought of trying to charge the countries that illegal immigrants came from, but lets take it a step further. Example, if Texas secured its border could we then not monitor people crossing in from New Mexico and charge THAT state for allowing illegals to cross thru on their way to Texas? I see that being much easier than charging another country. Maybe cut federal funding to that state if they are repeat illegal supporters. D.C. will not help us. I find it may be much easier this way anyways. Think about it. What other states beside the border states really care about illegal immigration in the capacity we do?
This may help....

BL


"The courts have agreed that state and local police can enforce any federal law, unless Congress has specifically forbidden enforcement of a particular law. Since Congress has not forbidden the states from enforcing federal immigration laws—both criminal and civil—state and local police have the inherent authority to enforce them."

SNIP....

The Need for State and Local Immigration Law Enforcement of Immigration Laws | NumbersUSA - For Lower Immigration Levels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top