U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 03:40 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,152,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
A private conversation is one thing but all I hear is people speaking loudly in Spanish everywhere I go. Not so with other foreign languages.
That's because they are a neighbor. If you go to European countries, people will be speaking in other languages of neighboring countries.

When I'm travelling, I tend to speak to my cohorts in my native tongue. What language do you speak in when travelling?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:44 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
And I don't care if it bothers you because if you are not part of the conversation, you shouldn't be eavesdropping.

And I'll stay as long as the government allows US citizens born in another country to stay. Yes, I've been a US citizen for the past 15 years but I'm NOT intimidated by people like you. I'm not gonna walk around ashamed to speak to my parents or friends because some stranger is listening to a conversation that he is not supposed to in the first place.
Eavesdropping? How can it be eavesdropping when I don't even understand what they are saying nor do I care what the latest is about Jose and Maria? They don't keep their voices down and that is the problem. You can't help but hear them. Of course you aren't intimidated. I see that same arrogance every day here in Calif. I am entitled to my opinion. Sorry, you don't like it. I have pointed out that it is a sign of non-assimilation and just pours salt in the wound and just reminds us that there are so many millions of Mexicans here illegally in our state.

If you are a U.S. citizen why are you worried about how long our government will allow you to stay? Our government doesn't deport naturalized U.S. citizens.

Last edited by chicagonut; 01-28-2010 at 04:41 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
That's because they are a neighbor. If you go to European countries, people will be speaking in other languages of neighboring countries.

When I'm travelling, I tend to speak to my cohorts in my native tongue. What language do you speak in when travelling?
Traveling would mean you are a tourist. I would expect tourists to not know much English. These are legal or illegal Hispanics that I am talking about, not tourists.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,025,645 times
Quote:
If you are a U.S. citizen why are you worried about how long our government will allow you to stay? Our government doesn't deport naturalized U.S. citizens.
And who said I'm worried? I've said I will continue to do so as long as I'm allowed to stay here as you are not in charge of my citizenship or my freedom of speech. And you can complain and whine till you turn green, blue yellow... chose your favorite color....but I'm not going to stop having Spanish conversations in public if everybody in the conversation speaks Spanish.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,789,925 times
Quote:
It's all the same to me. If you know how to speak English then speak it in public. Well good for you that it doesn't bother you. I am still entitled to my opinion on it and it does bother me. What is a little thing to you is a big thing to me. A private conversation is one thing but all I hear is people speaking loudly in Spanish everywhere I go. Not so with other foreign languages.
this is you:

Old 01-28-2010, 04:33 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,789,925 times
Furthermore the very title of this thread is ridiculous "to fight off illegal mexicans"
just goes to show how ridiculous people get with their one track mindedness.. if the army were to be used for anything in the border it would be to stop the influx of drugs into the country via mexico

but no, some poor guy risking his life to work at some farm is much worse and more of a danger to our society than some dirtbag smuggling drugs and weapons into the country.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
And who said I'm worried? I've said I will continue to do so as long as I'm allowed to stay here as you are not in charge of my citizenship or my freedom of speech. And you can complain and whine till you turn green, blue yellow... chose your favorite color....but I'm not going to stop having Spanish conversations in public if everybody in the conversation speaks Spanish.
Yep, there is the arrogance I see everyday. Hispanics are assimilating, huh?

Why would you even make the remark "as long as I'm allowed to stay" if you're not worried about it? Why wouldn't you be allowed to stay if you are a citizen? I just don't get why you are even bringing that up.

Back on topic now or the mods will have all of our heads.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Furthermore the very title of this thread is ridiculous "to fight off illegal mexicans"
just goes to show how ridiculous people get with their one track mindedness.. if the army were to be used for anything in the border it would be to stop the influx of drugs into the country via mexico

but no, some poor guy risking his life to work at some farm is much worse and more of a danger to our society than some dirtbag smuggling drugs and weapons into the country.
It isn't a matter of who is more dangerous and that is debatable anyway when you look at the crimes that many illegals do commit in our country. Our immigration laws are to be enforced against any illegal entrants into our country. You can't pick and choose who we will enforce them against.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:41 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
Actually, he's more of a threat. A threat to our economic structure and future by sucking this system dry using funds that he is not allotted to use. Fraud? Embezzlement? ID theft? Declination of our school system by not acclimating to our culture and language? Driving up the costs of college tuition by free rides of education and lower tuition via fraud?

I think he is more of a threat to this Nations present and future.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,152,172 times
Quote:
Traveling would mean you are a tourist. I would expect tourists to not know much English. These are legal or illegal Hispanics that I am talking about, not tourists.
Point taken. However, I would still be inclined to speak with my buddies in my native language. Although I can speak other languages, I feel really strange when speaking in front of others who are fluent. I would practice my new language at home with my friends and not be subject to public ridicule. If you moved to the Netherlands for a long-term job assignment - would you feel comfortable speaking Dutch in public? I doubt it.

I agree that people should assimilate, however it isn't necessary to take away their language when talking amongst friends.

My mother-in-law did not speak English in front of me as she was uncomfortable. Now, she speaks clear accent free English. It has taken years to develop that comfort level. Oh - her family has been here since the 1500's. They couldn't convince the settlers to assimilate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration