U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 04:51 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,139,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Point taken. However, I would still be inclined to speak with my buddies in my native language. Although I can speak other languages, I feel really strange when speaking in front of others who are fluent. I would practice my new language at home with my friends and not be subject to public ridicule. If you moved to the Netherlands for a long-term job assignment - would you feel comfortable speaking Dutch in public? I doubt it.

I agree that people should assimilate, however it isn't necessary to take away their language when talking amongst friends.

My mother-in-law did not speak English in front of me as she was uncomfortable. Now, she speaks clear accent free English. It has taken years to develop that comfort level. Oh - her family has been here since the 1500's. They couldn't convince the settlers to assimilate.
I agree with this although I have felt very out of place while a dentist I used would speak Spanish to her assistant or any friend that would drop in while i was being treated. It would go on for the entire visit. I stopped going to her. I found it rude, this was in America years ago.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,158,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I agree with this although I have felt very out of place while a dentist I used would speak Spanish to her assistant or any friend that would drop in while i was being treated. It would go on for the entire visit. I stopped going to her. I found it rude, this was in America years ago.
I agree - I do find that rude. Or when people are speaking English when the elevator doors open, but switch languages when you step in.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:06 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,139,346 times
Quote:
I agree - I do find that rude. Or when people are speaking English when the elevator doors open, but switch languages when you step in.
Yeah, kinda human nature like when the room quiets when you walk in. You think "What?" So language is a touchy subject I think with many who are faced with a foreign language on a daily or constant basis in your own country, especially with the issue of illegal immigration being so prevalent right now.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:15 PM

2,653 posts, read 4,101,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
It makes little sense to have an army if they won't do their job.
Call Border Patrol and TSA!!

Hello, the Army is in Iraqi/Baghdad. Maybe, you forgot, but there IS a war on. I say again, "brown people" are not the only illegals here.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,792,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Actually, he's more of a threat. A threat to our economic structure and future by sucking this system dry using funds that he is not allotted to use. Fraud? Embezzlement? ID theft? Declination of our school system by not acclimating to our culture and language? Driving up the costs of college tuition by free rides of education and lower tuition via fraud?

I think he is more of a threat to this Nations present and future.
you're talking about potential threat; neither of us have the statistics to argue for or against this claim in regards to what percentage of illegals commit these crimes, its just speculation, and you're assuming every single illegal immigrant is involved with some or all of those.
so how about focusing on what we do know...
like 99 million spent in 2007 on anti drug tv ads alone.. or the thousands of people incarcerated for petty possession charges and the billions it costs to keep them in prison..
from 1991 to 2000 140+ billion were spent to curb drug abuse.. yet drugs are cheaper and more easily accessible now than they were then.
drug related crimes increasing, turf wars over drug territory, drug related deaths, property offenses.. increase in organized crime activity as the insatiable american appetite for drugs increases.. and the drug cartels aren't just smuggling drugs.. they're trafficking weapons and people.

oh wait nevermind, some peasant farmer working construction or pulling radishes out of some farm in bakersfield is much more of a threat OH NO

Old 01-28-2010, 05:24 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,620,778 times
Quote:
This is WAY off the topic of "the Army blasting away at illegals", but I agree. My elderly Spanish-speaking Mother in Law had MANY 'rules' she lived by...and one was "It's rude to speak Spanish in front of people who don't understand it".
That sort of 'common sense' may have gone out of style about 3 lifetimes ago, and she was certainly no 'authority'...but I did see the basic sense of what she said....why alienate people if you don't have to?

On the other hand, as I posted recently, many times people will speak a language other than English for the benefit of ONE of their group; other times, (often), people will hesitate to speak English if they have a heavy accent; others are simply embarrassed at their lack of fluency in English.

I have no problem with any of this. As for the "loud, intrusive, shouted" conversations in Spanish? Well, of course, in MY culture, that could be considered 'annoying' or rude...but I see it as no worse than "cell phone clods" who dominate a restaraunt..or an elevator...or a doctor's office..with THEIR baloney, as we all are forced to listen. Rudeness is just rudeness.

Do Spanish-speakers purposely speak loudly just to "annoy" others? A few, maybe....those who are immature, uneducated, or who just don't have any manners. Mostly though, no..they speak Spanish because it's easier for them than speaking English....and their sheer overwhelming numbers (in the US) make this possible to a degree not enjoyed by speakers of Norwegian or Farsi. People are going to cling to what's 'easy', until they're forced to change.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:25 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,637,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Since when was it the Army's job to fight off illegal immigrants?

What are they gonna do, call in airstrikes on Mexicans running through the desert?

Or have Navy seals hiding in the Rio Grande to grab them by their ankles when they swim by?
Since the odds are growing that our southern border will be closed/locked soon; especially with the growing drug cartel crap SoB----------it would not surprise me to see our military there using lethal force to stop someone crossing illegally. Assuming they keep running once ordered to stop.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Point taken. However, I would still be inclined to speak with my buddies in my native language. Although I can speak other languages, I feel really strange when speaking in front of others who are fluent. I would practice my new language at home with my friends and not be subject to public ridicule. If you moved to the Netherlands for a long-term job assignment - would you feel comfortable speaking Dutch in public? I doubt it.

I agree that people should assimilate, however it isn't necessary to take away their language when talking amongst friends.
Speaking for just myself: I have a hell of a lot more respect for a person trying to speak English---------even if its poor.

Quote:
My mother-in-law did not speak English in front of me as she was uncomfortable. Now, she speaks clear accent free English. It has taken years to develop that comfort level. Oh - her family has been here since the 1500's. They couldn't convince the settlers to assimilate.
Just remember that it was not just White Euros who subjugated the Indians. The Aztecs to name but one 'indigenous' group would have been just as vicious to weaker tribes/nations had they had access to gunpowder.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Childfree35 View Post
Call Border Patrol and TSA!!

Hello, the Army is in Iraqi/Baghdad. Maybe, you forgot, but there IS a war on. I say again, "brown people" are not the only illegals here.
Brown people? Many illegal aliens here including Hispanics are White as well.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:57 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I'm not a sir but a maam. It isn't about rights. It is my opinion that it is being rude and shows a sign of non-assimilation to our country. Don't like my opinion that is your proagative but I am entitled to it just the same.
Dear Ma'am,

You're keen on your're entitlements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration