U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 09:54 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
OH my God I did. I told you that I'm not worried about anything unless you get to be the next US Dictator that deports American citizens born in other countries.

Ms Chicagonut get this: I AM an American Citizen.
Just to be clear. Are you talking about legal Immigrants or Illegals?
This is the illegal forum. Why does it matter? Because even if an illegal assimulates they still need to be deported. They are criminals after all.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:28 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,790,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post

What I will address is this: I came into this forum with a complete naivety of illegal immigration. When I tried to go to the hospital and was turned away because it was completely overrun with illegal immigrants, I got annoyed. When I was allowed access, all the limited medications allotted for that institution was used up the day before, mostly on illegal immigrants. (Don't have a link, it was a conversation with the administration there.) Coming to my hotel (another conversation) with employee: I get free health care, education, no taxes, paid under the table and have no drivers license. My rent is subsidized and I've left my children (a mother) in Mexico. My work visa expired 3 years ago so I have to work three jobs. (All employers hiring illegal aliens). There are so many of us like this, 16 in our house and it isn't fair that we cannot be legal citizens. (ALL in very broken hardly recognizable English and used my Google Spanish translator to really decipher what her problem was.)

Multiply this, say, 20 million times. When I came in here, I did research and did read and am still reading everyday, links to reliable sources, political rhetoric (thats fun to try and decipher as well!) and have come to a fair conclusion that the 16 are not the only ones. I don't remember where I got all the information as I surf A LOT, but will begin to post links that have helped me form my opinion. My story is retold over and over again by others it has happened to so yeah, they threaten my national security meaning my monies are not being secured for the good of the nation, only good to those who are abusing our system in large masses, specifically mass illegal immigration.
yes there is some law or something stating you can't turn people away from medical services.. which would be fine if it didnt equate to so many of the funds for health care going to people who wont pay back for their services. and i dont deny or say that illegals are not a financial drain on the country. they are a huge burden in my state alone that i am very well aware of (California). with this said i still hold that among the other things i would prioritize solving over the obvious illegal immigration problem, drugs/drug smuggling is one of them
if the govt could find a way to reduce the flow of drugs into the country coming in through the mexican border, it would also serve to reduce the number of illegals coming into the country. securing the border and stopping drugs/smugglers from coming in would also stop the illegals. and i would not object to using the military or improving border patrol to do so.
its important to remember that all the people we keep in prison (and prisons in general) compete for funding with schools. funding/spending for prisons has increased while funding for education and schools has decreased. why- because you get thrown in jail for getting caught with a gram of weed. and where is that entering the country from- Mexico.
and your money (and mine) is being mishandled on MANY fronts, but i dont want to disappoint you any further.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:57 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
That's crazy. I think it's more related to social status than race though. Cities like LA, Miami and NYC tend to attract more middle/upper class first generation immigrants. The attitude towards first generation immigrants changed a lot here in Miami once the wealthy South Americans move here. Even those hispanics that would not be caught dead speaking Spanish suddenly began speaking Spanglish. I personally believe classism is just as disgusting as racism.
I agree with your point regarding different generations and their preference to speak English or Spanish.

Unfortunately, this not just social class, it's race. That is why the constant mention of "stereotypical Mestizo". My friend who was having dinner with her husband is a professional who works at a hospital. She speaks English.

My other friend who was refused customer service was purchasing a $1,500.00 camera. Someone from a low social class can afford an expensive camera.

I have a cousin who lives in Arizona and looks Caucasian. Never gave her any problems until they saw her with my aunt who has the stereotypycal look.

Another who was looked up and down from the entire family, including their son who according to them looked about 5 yrs old. This time, my friend did tell them that it was a shame that they would teach their children without manners just like them.

The list goes on.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:10 AM

2,381 posts, read 4,409,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not 'dreams'; my friend..............concerns. Prejudice here in Arizona is growing against illegal aliens-------------most of whom happen to be Spanish speaking Mestizo Hispanics.
Thank you for your honesty. It is prejudice toward "Mestizos".
However, that won't change how I want to speak among my family and friends. I have very understanding friends who really don't care. When in their presence I speak English and I'm very careful of that. If a family member calls me, I will speak Spanish. My Asian, African and Indian friends do the same and my Caucasian and Black friends don't mind. If it's ok with them, I don't care about the stranger who happens to pass by.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:50 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Quote:
expect: and your money (and mine) is being mishandled on MANY fronts, but i dont want to disappoint you any further.
No surprise disappointment, I am well aware of the misspending of our government. This is the illegal immigration forum so that is where I try to keep my focus.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:58 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Thank you. I could have not said it better... As someone that learned English as a second language, it will always be easier for me to express myself in Spanish. That's not gonna change, it's the way the human brain works.

Most second generation immigrants will speak English better than Spanish. It is very common for us here in Miami to have a conversation in both languages. I speak Spanish and the second generation hispanic will talk to me in English.
Second generation immigrant? What is that? Why I wonder is my father was a (legal) immigrant and I clearly am not since I was born/raised here in the USA.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Thank you for your honesty. It is prejudice toward "Mestizos".
However, that won't change how I want to speak among my family and friends. I have very understanding friends who really don't care. When in their presence I speak English and I'm very careful of that. If a family member calls me, I will speak Spanish. My Asian, African and Indian friends do the same and my Caucasian and Black friends don't mind. If it's ok with them, I don't care about the stranger who happens to pass by.
TY for catching the nuance. For the record: I have a friend of mine (Anglo) who is probably on the receiving end of anti 'brown' prejudice; she is light skinned but looks 1/2 E Indian (or American Indian) complete with Asian facial features. And the irony is that she and I are are of the same ancestral heritage (Hungarian) whereas I am Nordic in appearance.

Hence my concern that if/when things turn truly ugly against illegal aliens (which they probably will barring mass deportations)-----------I am very concerned about innocent people (of any race/ethnicity/political definition) who look 'Mexican' being caught in the crossfire between the extremists on both sides.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:19 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
English is only the de facto language of the United States not the rule of law.

Remember that!

Could it be that you're spiting others for your own linguistic handicap!

I grew up in Covina, Ca. and never needed to understand Spanish until I moved to Los Angeles, Ca. Today I'm a novice Spanish speaker. You see, it's not about being arrogant with the English language, it's about understanding and accepting the fact that being bilingual has it's benefits.

Seems more like you have an axe to grind with the Spanish language. I hope you're aware that it's the 2nd most populous language in the USA.
I see nothing wrong with anyone being bi-lingual. IMO if one of the languages you speak is English why not use our national language as one's primary one?

If I have an axe to grind about the Spanish language it is because anymore I am hearing Spanish being spoken more than English out in public. It is directly due to non-assimilating Hispanic citizens and the high influx of Spanish speakers coming here illegally. How would you expect an English speaking American to feel about that?

Old 01-29-2010, 08:21 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
I've been amongst the undocumented immigration debate for a few years. I just found this website the other day so I figured I'd join the convo!!!

Thank you!
Are you the same Rico from [domain blocked due to spam]? If so, remember to stay civil, thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:23 AM

2,930 posts, read 6,026,525 times
Quote:
Second generation immigrant? What is that? Why I wonder is my father was a (legal) immigrant and I clearly am not since I was born/raised here in the USA.
That's the term that some people use, use the term of your choice. I don't like to get into terminology debates because that's not the subject here. I'm talking about people who were born here from illegal and legal parents.

Immigrant generations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Hence my concern that if/when things turn truly ugly against illegal aliens (which they probably will barring mass deportations)-----------I am very concerned about innocent people (of any race/ethnicity/political definition) who look 'Mexican' being caught in the crossfire between the extremists on both sides.
Then many of those people will move to more tolerant places in the USA and the rest will get used to the racial profiling or occasional beating. I can assure you cities like LA, NYC and Miami will not have this problem in your or my lifetime. Even though I don't look hispanic I have an accent as I learned English as a second language. That is the reason why I would never EVER consider living in other places except for those 3 cities. I always tell my friends that if I ever get lost in one of those racists towns I'll pretend I'm speech impaired or fake a British accent.

Last edited by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥; 01-29-2010 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration