U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,094,154 times
Reputation: 957

Advertisements

What happend to the "Minute Men", they were going to fix this thing?

US immagration is a Federal concern, The Army is a Federal agency...The fed are not going to use the army...inside the US.

Dont vote for any new president unless he's/she's willing to "attack" the problem.

If it dont happen with the next president, then you have to understand/admit...America dont care.

 
Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
In your dreams. I couldn't care less what some narrow minded person stereotypes me as.
Not 'dreams'; my friend..............concerns. Prejudice here in Arizona is growing against illegal aliens-------------most of whom happen to be Spanish speaking Mestizo Hispanics.
 
Old 01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You have to remember he comes from a very racist state. That is why he keeps posting that "Hispanic" is fast becoming derrogatory.

I have friends that have visited Arizona and have returned very disappointed. Many were looked down at, never given any customer service, ignored when spoken to..the list goes on. I recall a friend who said she when to eat and at the moment they sat down, the waitress came over and tapped the table really hard demanding the trays when they had not even begun to eat.

I'm in California and even my non-Hispanic friends talk about how racist and ashamed they feel toward the attitude of many Arizonians.

Their attitude will not change our preference to speak Spanish among us.
FYI: even many Americans of Mexican, etc. heritage are looking upon illegal aliens (Hispanic or not) with contempt----------since the mere presence of the latter are a slap in the face.
 
Old 01-28-2010, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,998,047 times
Reputation: 29357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Uhmmm Then why the Military response in Haiti?
Why are we using Military assets to track suspected aircraft smuggling drugs?
Why are we using our Navy to combat Somali Pirates?
Why did we use our Military during Katrina?
Why use our Military to help fight forest fires?
These are all military responses.
12 million illegals is not an invasion? No its more like an infestation. Like plague of locusts.
When we have a foreign Military crossing our borders and engaging our Border Patrol it is time to start using our own Military to support our own agents.
How many citizens were murdered by illegals last year? How many were assaulted? How many robbed?
Really it is the job of the Military to defend US citizens from all enemies both foreign and domestic.
We used military assets in Haiti and Katrina because they were the only outfit that had the wherewithal to do the job in exigent circumstances. While these were not "invasions," they were also not law enforcement actions. We use the military to fight pirates because they are the only organization equipped to do so, and fighting piracy has been a traditional role of national navies for centuries. Hell, half the reason the U.S. Navy came into being was to combat piracy. The use of military assets in domestic drug interdiction is a questionable use of such resources, but it's limited to a support role. Civilian law enforcement is still the primary force behind drug interdiction and they are the ones who deal with offenders hands-on.

The point some are trying to be made is that the military should respond to any type of problem that could fall under any definition of "invasion" whether it was a military invasion or not. If that's the case, why not send the military down to the Southeast to stop the invasion of kudzu, or to the delta region to stop the invasion of nutria, or the upland river system to stop the invasion of ? After all, these are invasive species, invading a land where they are unwanted. If any use of the word "invasion" can be invoked to justify military intervention, why not this one?
 
Old 01-28-2010, 12:41 PM
 
2,930 posts, read 6,040,982 times
Reputation: 1375
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
You have to remember he comes from a very racist state. That is why he keeps posting that "Hispanic" is fast becoming derrogatory.

I have friends that have visited Arizona and have returned very disappointed. Many were looked down at, never given any customer service, ignored when spoken to..the list goes on. I recall a friend who said she when to eat and at the moment they sat down, the waitress came over and tapped the table really hard demanding the trays when they had not even begun to eat.

I'm in California and even my non-Hispanic friends talk about how racist and ashamed they feel toward the attitude of many Arizonians.

Their attitude will not change our preference to speak Spanish among us.
That's crazy. I think it's more related to social status than race though. Cities like LA, Miami and NYC tend to attract more middle/upper class first generation immigrants. The attitude towards first generation immigrants changed a lot here in Miami once the wealthy South Americans move here. Even those hispanics that would not be caught dead speaking Spanish suddenly began speaking Spanglish. I personally believe classism is just as disgusting as racism.

I mean it doesn't get any more racist than the South and Florida is part of it. We have confederate flags flying all over the state. When I first arrived many years ago we noticed some racism in rural Florida when we went out to eat also. I thanked their southern hospitality by leaving 1cent tips and trust me we are not cheap people when it comes to tipping. I don't take crap from anybody and I'm not afraid to tell them in their faces. What are they gonna do call Immigration? I'm a US citizen that pays her taxes AND votes. Now days it doesn't happen because even rural Florida is used to Miami tourists

I know in many states like TX and AZ even second generation immigrants discriminate against 1st generation immigrants and love to point out the difference between being a Mexican or someone of Mexican descent or heritage. I really don't lose sleep over this. There is nothing I can do if someone thinks I'm low class or inferior. All I tell them is that I'm gonna stay as long as the USA government allows me to do so and I'm gonna talk all the Spanish I want as long as you are not part of the conversation.
 
Old 01-28-2010, 01:27 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
That's crazy. I think it's more related to social status than race though. Cities like LA, Miami and NYC tend to attract more middle/upper class first generation immigrants. The attitude towards first generation immigrants changed a lot here in Miami once the wealthy South Americans move here. Even those hispanics that would not be caught dead speaking Spanish suddenly began speaking Spanglish. I personally believe classism is just as disgusting as racism.

I mean it doesn't get any more racist than the South and Florida is part of it. We have confederate flags flying all over the state. When I first arrived many years ago we noticed some racism in rural Florida when we went out to eat also. I thanked their southern hospitality by leaving 1cent tips and trust me we are not cheap people when it comes to tipping. I don't take crap from anybody and I'm not afraid to tell them in their faces. What are they gonna do call Immigration? I'm a US citizen that pays her taxes AND votes. Now days it doesn't happen because even rural Florida is used to Miami tourists

I know in many states like TX and AZ even second generation immigrants discriminate against 1st generation immigrants and love to point out the difference between being a Mexican or someone of Mexican descent or heritage. I really don't lose sleep over this. There is nothing I can do if someone thinks I'm low class or inferior. All I tell them is that I'm gonna stay as long as the USA government allows me to do so and I'm gonna talk all the Spanish I want as long as you are not part of the conversation.
I have encountered that kind of defiance and arrogance with Spanish speakers myself. All they do is alienate mainstream America from themselves. I personally think it rude not to speak English in public if you know how to. I don't care what language is spoken in the privacy of one's own home. The thing is even though I may not be part of the conversation it is usually spoken loudly and within earshot of everyone else.

You are going to stay as long as our government allows you to? What does that mean?
 
Old 01-28-2010, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Arizona is a racist state, how so? Being tough on the enforcement of our immigration laws does make a whole state racist nor their citizens either.

If some or even many Arizonians have a hostile attitude towards illegal aliens, suspected illegal aliens or their ethnocentric sympathizers then it is justified.
Oh you must be racists because you knew why without being told... LOL Word to the wise. If your an illegal and you don't like being treated like a criminal avoid Arizona.
 
Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
We used military assets in Haiti and Katrina because they were the only outfit that had the wherewithal to do the job in exigent circumstances. While these were not "invasions," they were also not law enforcement actions. We use the military to fight pirates because they are the only organization equipped to do so, and fighting piracy has been a traditional role of national navies for centuries. Hell, half the reason the U.S. Navy came into being was to combat piracy. The use of military assets in domestic drug interdiction is a questionable use of such resources, but it's limited to a support role. Civilian law enforcement is still the primary force behind drug interdiction and they are the ones who deal with offenders hands-on.

The point some are trying to be made is that the military should respond to any type of problem that could fall under any definition of "invasion" whether it was a military invasion or not. If that's the case, why not send the military down to the Southeast to stop the invasion of kudzu, or to the delta region to stop the invasion of nutria, or the upland river system to stop the invasion of ? After all, these are invasive species, invading a land where they are unwanted. If any use of the word "invasion" can be invoked to justify military intervention, why not this one?
Haiti. They are actualkling being used as a police force there.
I get your point but disagree with you in regard to our southern border.
It may not be a Military invasion, but it is putting a hurt on our nation.
Our civilian enforcement has failed. The job to patrol the border is either to big or to difficult for them. WE do have an effective tool that not only has experience with border patrol, but is big enough to do the job.
Best of all we are already paying for it.
 
Old 01-28-2010, 03:08 PM
 
Location: Chicago
38,691 posts, read 86,998,047 times
Reputation: 29357
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Haiti. They are actualkling being used as a police force there.
I get your point but disagree with you in regard to our southern border.
It may not be a Military invasion, but it is putting a hurt on our nation.
Our civilian enforcement has failed. The job to patrol the border is either to big or to difficult for them. WE do have an effective tool that not only has experience with border patrol, but is big enough to do the job.
Best of all we are already paying for it.
And I disagree, and think it's practically self-evident that the problem is not the agency doing the job, but the fact that the job isn't being taken seriously as a matter of policy. Changing the personnel makes no difference if the policy stays the same.

Yes, they're being used as a police force in Haiti, but that's incidental to the primary mission. At any rate, restoring and/or maintaining order in a period of chaos or emergency is another proper military function. But it scares me that so many people are ready to give our military that kind of police power on a permanent basis during peacetime. I seriously wonder if those advocating that right now have really thought through the implications.
 
Old 01-28-2010, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And I disagree, and think it's practically self-evident that the problem is not the agency doing the job, but the fact that the job isn't being taken seriously as a matter of policy. Changing the personnel makes no difference if the policy stays the same.

Yes, they're being used as a police force in Haiti, but that's incidental to the primary mission. At any rate, restoring and/or maintaining order in a period of chaos or emergency is another proper military function. But it scares me that so many people are ready to give our military that kind of police power on a permanent basis during peacetime. I seriously wonder if those advocating that right now have really thought through the implications.
Police powers on the border to arrest and detain illegal crossers.
The primary mission would be to serve as a deterant. If we have military patroling and eliminating access illegals will be forced to seek out alternative entry points. Bottle necking this mass migration. Another plus would be to greatly reduce entry points for illegal drugs. Its a win win deal and almost cost neutral.
Have I thought it through? As a matter of fact I have more faith in the Military chain of command and integrety of our soldiers than I do local police forces. The Border patrol is a rubber hammer being used to drive railroad spikes. ICE is little better. Why? Because like most civilian Govt agencies their primary mission is to justify their own existance. Performance is a none factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top