U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 02:24 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,797,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Police powers on the border to arrest and detain illegal crossers.
The primary mission would be to serve as a deterant. If we have military patroling and eliminating access illegals will be forced to seek out alternative entry points. Bottle necking this mass migration. Another plus would be to greatly reduce entry points for illegal drugs. Its a win win deal and almost cost neutral.
Have I thought it through? As a matter of fact I have more faith in the Military chain of command and integrety of our soldiers than I do local police forces. The Border patrol is a rubber hammer being used to drive railroad spikes. ICE is little better. Why? Because like most civilian Govt agencies their primary mission is to justify their own existance. Performance is a none factor.
OK, Border Patrol is not a "local police force," it's a federal agency. What would the military be able to do that an adequately staffed border patrol agency cannot? What would change if you replaced each border patrol agent with an army grunt?

Old 01-28-2010, 02:47 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,026,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't care what language is spoken in the privacy of one's own home. The thing is even though I may not be part of the conversation it is usually spoken loudly and within earshot of everyone else.

You are going to stay as long as our government allows you to? What does that mean?
And I don't care if it bothers you because if you are not part of the conversation, you shouldn't be eavesdropping.

And I'll stay as long as the government allows US citizens born in another country to stay. Yes, I've been a US citizen for the past 15 years but I'm NOT intimidated by people like you. I'm not gonna walk around ashamed to speak to my parents or friends because some stranger is listening to a conversation that he is not supposed to in the first place.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:59 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,670,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico from East Los View Post
For a period of time in the 1990s, United States Army personnel were stationed along the U.S.-Mexico border to help stem the flow of illegal immigrants and drug smugglers. These military units brought their specialized equipment such as FLIR (forward looking infrared) devices and helicopters. In conjunction with the United States Border Patrol, they would deploy along the border and, for a brief time, there would be no traffic across that border which was actively watched by "coyotes" paid to assist border crossers. The smugglers and the alien traffickers simply ceased operations over the one hundred mile sections of the border sealed at a time. It was very effective but temporary as the illegal traffic resumed as soon as the military withdrew.

After the September 11 attacks the United States looked at the feasibility of placing soldiers along the U.S.-Mexico border as a security measure, but made no mention of the Canada – United States border. Some believe the whole U.S.-Mexico border could be sealed with as few as 100 helicopters equipped with FLIR scopes, and a few hundred men equipped with state of the art sensors, scopes, and other electronics. Another strategy suggests that the US Military or Border Patrol could easily eliminate 100% of illegal mainland crossings by placing a guard every 500-1000 feet along the 2000 mile border with Mexico, arguing that even this low tech, manpower intensive option would represent a tiny fraction of the annual Defense and Homeland Security budgets.

Opposition says this is a violation of Posse Comitatus although the army patrolled the border for more than 46 years after the passage of the Posse Comitatus act. Others believe that the border could never be completely closed, but that the United States could possibly put a serious dent in illegal cross border traffic with a more robust military presence and a larger, more pro-active Border Patrol.

footnotes

Mexican government running US immigration policy--Part III
An profoundly intellligent post Rico from East Los !

Agreed ! ... Much more can and must be done to efffectively control this "Insane Nightmare" on America's Southern border !

A minimal deployment of Army Light Infantry could easily sweep the "Illegal Thugs" from the border towns of Texas and Arizona and then effect patrols while the Army Corps of engineers errects the barriers and monitoring equipment to ensure this unwelcome bunch of misery stays out!

I fear my friends that if we continue to await any corrective actions of the feds on unbelievably pitiful situation, we shall indeed be marking time until "Hell Freezes Over" !!!

Perhaps a well formed, trained, & equiped state volunteer milita could accomplish this mission quite nicely. Afterall America has a fairly large number of well trained military veterans within this great nation ... These folks know how to get the job done ! They are one fantastic x military resource we should in no wise overlook.

Perhaps someday very soon these may be the very folks our citizens whom live close to the Southern border may absolutely have to rely upon to feel safe within there own homes and on the streets.

Thanks / Lamar

Old 01-28-2010, 03:01 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,790,445 times
Quote:
I have encountered that kind of defiance and arrogance with Spanish speakers myself. All they do is alienate mainstream America from themselves. I personally think it rude not to speak English in public if you know how to. I don't care what language is spoken in the privacy of one's own home. The thing is even though I may not be part of the conversation it is usually spoken loudly and within earshot of everyone else.
and what about cantonese? french? hindi? punjabi? people let the littlest things bother them. what language someone speaks in public or otherwise doesn't bother me a single bit. it does nothing positive or negative for me and thus has a neutral effect, so i dont care.
smoking, listening to loud music, not getting your car smogged, speeding, drunk driving, littering.. these are the types of things that people do that should bother you. i study with a lot of exchange students from india. when they work with me they speak english. when they work amongst themselves they speak in their language.
one thing i will say though, that people should learn to speak English. not so they're forced to speak it to please other people, but it should be a requirement of residence or citizenship to learn the language.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:05 PM

12,900 posts, read 18,446,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
It makes little sense to have an army if they won't do their job.
Since when was it the Army's job to fight off illegal immigrants?

What are they gonna do, call in airstrikes on Mexicans running through the desert?

Or have Navy seals hiding in the Rio Grande to grab them by their ankles when they swim by?

Old 01-28-2010, 03:09 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,670,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
FYI: even many Americans of Mexican, etc. heritage are looking upon illegal aliens (Hispanic or not) with contempt----------since the mere presence of the latter are a slap in the face.
I can attest to the facts regarding ArizonaBears post !

It's precisely whats happening up here on the East Coast.

Thanks / Lamar

Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
I have encountered that kind of defiance and arrogance with Spanish speakers myself. All they do is alienate mainstream America from themselves. I personally think it rude not to speak English in public if you know how to. I don't care what language is spoken in the privacy of one's own home. The thing is even though I may not be part of the conversation it is usually spoken loudly and within earshot of everyone else.

You are going to stay as long as our government allows you to? What does that mean?
Sir,

What special right do you think you possess that everyone should speak in only a language that is inteligible to you?

When you become King of America, waving your wand will make it so..."till then, your just moving air.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:29 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Sir,

What special right do you think you possess that everyone should speak in only a language that is inteligible to you?

When you become King of America, waving your wand will make it so..."till then, your just moving air.
I'm not a sir but a maam. It isn't about rights. It is my opinion that it is being rude and shows a sign of non-assimilation to our country. Don't like my opinion that is your proagative but I am entitled to it just the same.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Since when was it the Army's job to fight off illegal immigrants?

What are they gonna do, call in airstrikes on Mexicans running through the desert?

Or have Navy seals hiding in the Rio Grande to grab them by their ankles when they swim by?
No, but the Border Patrol should be allowed to use more force in detering illegal entry into our country. The National Guard should be helping them.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
and what about cantonese? french? hindi? punjabi? people let the littlest things bother them. what language someone speaks in public or otherwise doesn't bother me a single bit. it does nothing positive or negative for me and thus has a neutral effect, so i dont care.
smoking, listening to loud music, not getting your car smogged, speeding, drunk driving, littering.. these are the types of things that people do that should bother you. i study with a lot of exchange students from india. when they work with me they speak english. when they work amongst themselves they speak in their language.
one thing i will say though, that people should learn to speak English. not so they're forced to speak it to please other people, but it should be a requirement of residence or citizenship to learn the language.
It's all the same to me. If you know how to speak English then speak it in public. Well good for you that it doesn't bother you. I am still entitled to my opinion on it and it does bother me. What is a little thing to you is a big thing to me. A private conversation is one thing but all I hear is people speaking loudly in Spanish everywhere I go. Not so with other foreign languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration