U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 06:59 AM

4,380 posts, read 2,814,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Major Cities’ Plummeting Crime Rates Mystifying” proclaimed the headline atop a Washington Post article on July 20, 2009. Thestory went on to report that crime rates have dropped in New York, Los Angeles, and other large American cities to levels not seen in 40 years—“a trend criminologists describe as baffling and unexpected.” An FBI report in September showed that a nationwide plunge in violent crime dating back to the early 1990s has continued largely unabated; it too offered little by way of explanation.
One plausible reason behind this welcome phenomenon, ironic as it may sound, is increased immigration, including low-skilled and illegal immigration. How can this be so?
Higher Immigration, Lower Crime

From Commentary, a conservative magazine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:26 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

And the crime rates here in Phx have dropped ca. 25% since 2007 due to scads of illegal aliens leaving.

Read that many factors may be at play here. One biggie is the much lower number of people under age 25 since most older folks tend to be more mellow.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,393,550 times
Maybe the crime rates are falling because illegals tend not to report crimes against themselves out of fear of deportation.

My old stomping grounds is now almost all hispanic and I would be taking my life in my hands to 'stomp' around there today.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:22 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Maybe the crime rates are falling because illegals tend not to report crimes against themselves out of fear of deportation.

My old stomping grounds is now almost all hispanic and I would be taking my life in my hands to 'stomp' around there today.
Bingo!

Quote:
For immigrants in abusive relationships, getting help is complicated by immigration status, cultural differences, language barriers and lack of familiarity with Ohio's law-enforcement and social-service bureaucracies
Immigrants often reluctant to report abuse | The Columbus Dispatch

Quote:
Now, a year later, they say their fears are coming true, as undocumented residents avoid reporting crimes to police out of fear they could be deported.

"There has been a surge of folks who have been victimized in one way or another, and they are afraid to call police," said Lydia Guzman, spokeswoman for Respect/Respeto, a Phoenix-based human-rights organization
Migrants too scared to report crimes?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:39 PM

32,827 posts, read 30,101,014 times
The more that LE gets into the game the more likely it becomes that deportable Aliens simply won't report the crime.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:19 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,220,459 times
Lack of enforcement....we're not allowed to prosecute Illegals. So a high percentage of crimes created by Illegals don't go on record.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:05 PM

32,827 posts, read 30,101,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Lack of enforcement....we're not allowed to prosecute Illegals. So a high percentage of crimes created by Illegals don't go on record.

This is a good segway to what I've mentioned before. Yes, we do have two sets of laws in this Country. One for law abiding, legal Citizens and another, much more lenient, set that for Illegal Aliens.

In many instances Illegals won't even get approached if LE believes they are here illegally. Why?

1. They'll get a fake name.
2. They'll get a fake address.
3. They won't appear in court.
3. They won't pay the fine.

The list is endless.

Old 01-27-2010, 02:54 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This is a good segway to what I've mentioned before. Yes, we do have two sets of laws in this Country. One for law abiding, legal Citizens and another, much more lenient, set that for Illegal Aliens.

In many instances Illegals won't even get approached if LE believes they are here illegally. Why?

1. They'll get a fake name.
2. They'll get a fake address.
3. They won't appear in court.
3. They won't pay the fine.

The list is endless.
Add to that list that LE is expected to be PC in today's world. You know, "don't ask, don't tell". If they ask they get accused of racial profiling.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,900,571 times
illegals? can't shoot them can't deport them either.
It just seems that this is the attitude too many people take. Might as well let them stay because they will just keep coming back.
NO. 1st offence deport them. Second offence chip them and deport them.
But hey most of this could be avoided. Simply enforce our laws. Immigration as well as employment. There are only so many home depot jobs available.
What boggles my mind. Why would anyone bring an absolute known liar and criminal to their home? To save a couple bucks to build a fence?
Then they wonder who broke into their home 2 weeks later.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:10 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,625,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post

"Higher Immigration, Lower Crime"? Indeed. I didn't get into the specifics of the link, but if this "higher immigration" it speaks of includes illegals, then it should hardly be surprising if the meaning of the term "crime" is interpreted as loosely as the meaning of the term "immigrant".

Anyone can 'jack around' facts and figures as they see fit. Try hard enough, and you could make any case you wanted to. But if someone is attempting to make the case that we can lower our crime rate simply by increasing the rate of illegal immigration, then I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it.

Interesting title, though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration