U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2010, 04:52 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,080,104 times
Reputation: 2244

Advertisements

it was ICE conducting the raids- going after illegals. of course the majority would be illegal.

it doesnt take a genius to figure that out.

a better reflection of criminality amongst illegals would be stats on aprehension and incarceration.

l
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
When there is only one bust where 3/4 of the arrested were illegal aliens, I would say the numbers speak for themselves.

As for our prison population there is an estimated 12-20 million illegals in this country vs 280-290 million legals/citizens. Percentage wise it would make sense that their are more legals/citizens in prison than illegals. So what is your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2010, 05:02 AM
 
2,381 posts, read 4,414,165 times
Reputation: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
it was ICE conducting the raids- going after illegals. of course the majority would be illegal.

it doesnt take a genius to figure that out.

a better reflection of criminality amongst illegals would be stats on aprehension and incarceration.

l
I agree the one. Not to mention that legal immigrants do have rights and would not be aprehended unless there is a warrant for their arrest. It's more difficult to arrest legal immigrants.

Chicagonut, I don't understand why you keep saying it was one bust. It was not one bust. It took 83 of them to arrest 366 illegals. An average of 4 per city. I consider ICE is intelligent enough to do a research on where the biggest gangs are to be found and that is what they targeted. That means that there aren't many illegal immigrants involved in gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 01:55 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,080,104 times
Reputation: 2244
it was a bust of illegal gang members. those who are illegal and happen to be in gangs. they were targetted.
kinda like when the authorities do a bust (in different CA cities) on registered sex offenders who fail to update info.
well of course the majority of those aprehended and sought are molestors, thats who was targetted. i too wonder why some posters dont see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I agree the one. Not to mention that legal immigrants do have rights and would not be aprehended unless there is a warrant for their arrest. It's more difficult to arrest legal immigrants.

Chicagonut, I don't understand why you keep saying it was one bust. It was not one bust. It took 83 of them to arrest 366 illegals. An average of 4 per city. I consider ICE is intelligent enough to do a research on where the biggest gangs are to be found and that is what they targeted. That means that there aren't many illegal immigrants involved in gangs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
If you read my previous posts, you would know I'm very much in favor of deporting violent offenders or gang bangers. My problem is with people creating stereotypes of people with uninformed statements. That to me is unfair. I respect when someone says they want illegal immigrants to return to their countries or that they want gang bangers who are illegal to be deported. What I don't respect is when people say that illegal immigrants are gangsters instead of saying that a minority of illegal immigrants are gangsters.

Back to your post. ICE is restricted from arresting citizens. Therefore, 100% of their arrests are immigration related. So in my opinion, it's your Logic that is flawed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
It's actually not high at all. This is 1 project with 83 busts of which they arrested 476 foreign nationals. 366 were illegally in the country. If you take the number of illegals and divide it by the number of cities where these gang busts occured, it averages out to approximately 4 illegals per city. Relatively low for a country with said 12 million illegal immigrants.
You can’t seriously believe there are only 366 illegal alien gang members in this country. I would venture to say, there are more than that in LA alone; and that a high percentage of the 151 “U.S. citizens” arrested are actually children of illegal aliens -- again, a byproduct of illegal immigration. In any case, there are many negatives to illegal immigration, and gang activity is simply one.

When any LE agency conducts raids on criminal enterprises, they rarely apprehend ALL members. Their objective is to catch as many “leaders” as possible. However, the percentage of illegal alien gangbangers compared to the total illegal alien population is totally irrelevant. Likewise, the vast majority of U.S. citizens are not involved in criminal activity, but that does not marginalize the crimes committed by the minority. It is still a problem.

You keep mentioning illegals being stereotyped as gang members, and that gangbangers are a minority of the illegal alien population. No one has accused ALL, or even the majority of illegals of being gang members, so there is no need to belabor the issue. However, it is a fact that an unknown percentage of illegal aliens are not here simply to work. Some are in fact violent criminals committing heinous crimes. To deny this, is disingenuous, to say the least.

The truth is, we have no idea how many illegal aliens are actually in this country. I wholeheartedly agree with DontH8Me. They have been throwing that “12 million” figure around for ages. For all we know, there might be 40 million illegals. Who knows for sure?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 02:51 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma(formerly SoCalif) Originally Mich,
13,387 posts, read 16,220,459 times
Reputation: 4611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You can’t seriously believe there are only 366 illegal alien gang members in this country. I would venture to say, there are more than that in LA alone; and that a high percentage of the 151 “U.S. citizens” arrested are actually children of illegal aliens -- again, a byproduct of illegal immigration. In any case, there are many negatives to illegal immigration, and gang activity is simply one.

When any LE agency conducts raids on criminal enterprises, they rarely apprehend ALL members. Their objective is to catch as many “leaders” as possible. However, the percentage of illegal alien gangbangers compared to the total illegal alien population is totally irrelevant. Likewise, the vast majority of U.S. citizens are not involved in criminal activity, but that does not marginalize the crimes committed by the minority. It is still a problem.

You keep mentioning illegals being stereotyped as gang members, and that gangbangers are a minority of the illegal alien population. No one has accused ALL, or even the majority of illegals of being gang members, so there is no need to belabor the issue. However, it is a fact that an unknown percentage of illegal aliens are not here simply to work. Some are in fact violent criminals committing heinous crimes. To deny this, is disingenuous, to say the least.

The truth is, we have no idea how many illegal aliens are actually in this country. I wholeheartedly agree with DontH8Me. They have been throwing that “12 million” figure around for ages. For all we know, there might be 40 million illegals. Who knows for sure?
If I'm not mistaken, the count for illegal immigrants was 11 million in the 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the count for illegal immigrants was 11 million in the 90's
Indeed. I guess only 1 million have entered during the past decade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:06 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,160,108 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Indeed. I guess only 1 million have entered during the past decade.
That is what our pro-amnesty politicians and ethnocentrics would like us to believe. If the truth be known the sleeping giant would not only be awakened but in full attack mode.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:29 PM
 
Location: CITY OF ANGELS AND CONSTANT DANGER
5,409 posts, read 11,080,104 times
Reputation: 2244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

When any LE agency conducts raids on criminal enterprises, they rarely apprehend ALL members. Their objective is to catch as many “leaders” as possible. However, the percentage of illegal alien gangbangers compared to the total illegal alien population is totally irrelevant. Likewise, the vast majority of U.S. citizens are not involved in criminal activity, but that does not marginalize the crimes committed by the minority. It is still a problem.
in LA its different (im guessing it might be that same way in other major cities). here they get them ALL. why? because most gangs are under some kind of injunction. associating with known gang members is cause for arrest. chances are the us citizens (regardless of how they came about to be citizens) were under a gang injunction. when found in the company of these other gang members they violated the injunction. some of the rules are a bit draconian, but most times i think... youre a gang banger, too bad! thats what you get. too bad if you cant associate with your homies (even if they are your family). too bad you cant be out past 10 pm. too bad if you cant be at your local park. too bad.

if they happen to be illegal and a thug, then perfect, two birds with one stone.
no tears here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,826,194 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
in LA its different (im guessing it might be that same way in other major cities). here they get them ALL. why? because most gangs are under some kind of injunction. associating with known gang members is cause for arrest. chances are the us citizens (regardless of how they came about to be citizens) were under a gang injunction. when found in the company of these other gang members they violated the injunction. some of the rules are a bit draconian, but most times i think... youre a gang banger, too bad! thats what you get. too bad if you cant associate with your homies (even if they are your family). too bad you cant be out past 10 pm. too bad if you cant be at your local park. too bad.

if they happen to be illegal and a thug, then perfect, two birds with one stone.
no tears here.
According to agents I know (DEA, not ICE), they “try” to get all members, but the truth is, they rarely do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-01-2010, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,650,644 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
That is what our pro-amnesty politicians and ethnocentrics would like us to believe. If the truth be known the sleeping giant would not only be awakened but in full attack mode.
The anger is ramping up............trust me

One thing that especially non American Latinos do not comprehend is that it takes a lot to enrage us Americans; but, once pissed off---------we go 'psychotic'. And I am not just referring to open warfare either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top