Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 05:56 PM

77 posts, read 102,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That sure didn't work with the last amnesty, after the last big amnesty it was like the flood gates were opened and millions of people came flooding over the border to demand yet another amnesty.

It cannot secure the borders because the next demand is unlimited "family reunification" where all the long lost relatives of illegals will be allowed to come here and join them here. In fact the whole reason so many want amnesty is because they want to more easily bring over the extended families and have the whole family -- tias, tios, primos and primas, abuelitos and abuelitas and all the spouses and children of them here.

Family reunification can ONLY happen in the USA you know. And "family reunification" is all part of the big amnesty demand.
you have to be a citizen to request your parents, not legal resident. and you can't request your cousins or uncles or grandparents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,560,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
you have to be a citizen to request your parents, not legal resident. and you can't request your cousins or uncles or grandparents
Really?

Quote:
SEC. 302. RECLASSIFICATION OF SPOUSES AND MINOR CHILDREN OF LEGAL PERMANENT RESIDENTS AS IMMEDIATE RELATIVES.

(a) In General- Section 201(b)(2) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1151(b)(2)) is amended to read as follows:

`(2) IMMEDIATE RELATIVE-

`(A) IN GENERAL-

`(i) IMMEDIATE RELATIVE DEFINED- In this subparagraph, the term `immediate relative' means a child, spouse, or parent of a citizen of the United States or a child or spouse of a lawful permanent resident (and for each family member of a citizen or lawful permanent resident under this subparagraph, such individual's spouse or child who is accompanying or following to join the individual), except that, in the case of parents, such citizens shall be at least 21 years of age.

`(ii) PREVIOUSLY ISSUED VISA- Aliens admitted under section 211(a) on the basis of a prior issuance of a visa under section 203(a) to their accompanying parent who is an immediate relative.
`
(iii) PARENTS AND CHILDREN- An alien who was the child or the parent of a citizen of the United States or a child of a lawful permanent resident at the time of the citizen's or resident's death if the alien files a petition under section 204(a)(1)(A)(ii) within 2 years after such date or prior to reaching 21 years of age.

`(iv) SPOUSE- In the case of an alien who was the spouse of a citizen of the United States or spouse of a lawful permanent resident and was not legally separated from the citizen or resident at the time of the citizen's or resident's death, the alien (and each child of the alien) shall be considered for purposes of this subsection, to remain an immediate relative after the date of the citizen's or resident's death if the spouse files a petition under section 204(a)(1)(A)(ii) before the earlier of--

`(I) 2 years after such date; or

`(II) the date on which the spouse remarries.

`(v) SPECIAL RULE- For purposes of this subparagraph, an alien who has filed a petition under clause (iii) or (iv) of section 204(a)(1)(A) remains an immediate relative if the United States citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or parent loses United States citizenship or residence on account of the abuse.

(2) by striking paragraph (2) and inserting the following:

`(2) UNMARRIED SONS AND UNMARRIED DAUGHTERS OF PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIENS- Qualified immigrants who are the unmarried sons or unmarried daughters (but are not the children) of an alien lawfully admitted for permanent residence shall be allocated visas in a number not to exceed 60,000, plus any visas not required for the class specified in paragraph (1).';
Quote:
SEC. 304. PROMOTING FAMILY UNITY.

(a) Waivers of Inadmissibility- Section 212(a)(9) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(9)) is amended--

(1) in subparagraph (B)--

(B) in clause (v)--

(i) by striking `spouse or son or daughter' and inserting `spouse, son, daughter, or parent';

(iv) by striking `alien.' and inserting `alien or, if the Attorney General determines that a waiver is necessary for humanitarian purposes, to ensure family unity or is otherwise in the public interest.';
Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
The reason you see so many extended families living here is that once a child reaches 18, he/she sponsors the parents, the parents can sponsor grandparents, the other siblings, they can all sponsor their in-laws, and that's how all the aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and so on and so on can easily come in.

Plus if they aren't brought in legally, they can just as easily be smuggled in illegally. All they need is one here legally to start the chain of sponsorship or they just come anyhow.

I know of one illegal with 11 siblings and a widowed mother was hoping to get amnesty because he planned to bring them all in, including the children of some of his siblings.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
The reason you see so many extended families living here is that once a child reaches 18, he/she sponsors the parents, the parents can sponsor grandparents, the other siblings, they can all sponsor their in-laws, and that's how all the aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and so on and so on can easily come in.

Plus if they aren't brought in legally, they can just as easily be smuggled in illegally. All they need is one here legally to start the chain of sponsorship or they just come anyhow.

I know of one illegal with 11 siblings and a widowed mother was hoping to get amnesty because he planned to bring them all in, including the children of some of his siblings.
True. Also, millions will “visit” and never return.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:15 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Really If you are only a Legal resident you can only request your unmarried children & your own spouse, and US Citizens have to be over 21 to request his/her parents. I'm not sure where you guys are getting this information that an 18 year old can request his parents.

It's there in the information you posted.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Really If you are only a Legal resident you can only request your unmarried children & your own spouse, and US Citizens have to be over 21 to request his/her parents. I'm not sure where you guys are getting this information that an 18 year old can request his parents.
It's there in the information you posted.
Yes, it is in the info I posted. However, you obviously didn’t comprehend. Do you understand the meaning of the word “amend?” I gave you a glimpse of the proposed CIR ASAP bill, aka amnesty. This bill wouldn’t have to “amend” the age to 21 if the current age is 21.

I also highlighted “legal permanent resident” numerous times.

Quote:
SEC. 304. PROMOTING FAMILY UNITY.

(a) Waivers of Inadmissibility- Section 212(a)(9) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1182(a)(9)) is amended--

(1) in subparagraph (B)--

(A) in clause (iii)--

(i) in subclause (I), by striking `18 years of age' and inserting `21 years of age';

(ii) by moving subclause (V) 4 ems to the right; and

(iii) by adding at the end the following:

`(VI) Clause (i) shall not apply to an alien for whom an immigrant visa is available or was available on or before the date of the enactment of the CIR ASAP Act of 2009, and is otherwise admissible to the United States for permanent residence; and';

(B) in clause (v)--

(i) by striking `spouse or son or daughter' and inserting `spouse, son, daughter, or parent'
;

Old 02-03-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is in the info I posted. However, you obviously didn’t comprehend. Do you understand the meaning of the word “amend?” I gave you a glimpse of the proposed CIR ASAP bill, aka amnesty. This bill wouldn’t have to “amend” the age to 21 if the current age is 21.

I also highlighted “legal permanent resident” numerous times.

;
Your link it's broken. Let's try the USCIS website for a change:

USCIS - Immigration through a Family Member

• If the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S:
    • Husband or wife
    • Unmarried child under 21 years of age
    • Unmarried son or daughter over 21
    • Married son or daughter of any age
    • Brother or sister, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old, or
    • Parent, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old.
  • If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:
    • Husband or wife, or
    • Unmarried son or daughter of any age.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I gave you a glimpse of the proposed CIR ASAP bill, aka amnesty. This bill wouldn’t have to “amend” the age to 21 if the current age is 21.

;
Nice. We went from "we have so many hispanics because once anchors turned 18 they requested their parents, grandparents, uncles, cousins" to a "proposed" amendment to the amnesty bill that is NOT a law yet and can be changed at any second.
Quote:
Quote:
True. Also, millions will “visit” and never return.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Your link it's broken. Let's try the USCIS website for a change:

• If the sponsor is a U.S. Citizen, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S:
    • Husband or wife
    • Unmarried child under 21 years of age
    • Unmarried son or daughter over 21
    • Married son or daughter of any age
    • Brother or sister, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old, or
    • Parent, if the sponsor is at least 21 years old.
  • If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, they may petition for the following foreign national relatives to immigrate to the U.S.:
    • Husband or wife, or
    • Unmarried son or daughter of any age.
My link is to the bill, not USCIS which NONE of their laws are being enforced. To access Thomas Library of Congress you can never click a posted link. I only included the link to give you the website. If you enter CIR ASAP you will find the bill.

If we are discussing USCIS laws, they also prohibit the employment of illegal aliens. I think we all know how well that has been enforced.

BTW, wasn’t your previous argument that only “citizens” can sponsor, not legal residents?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:52 PM

Someone asked me how the can request a family member. On the right hand side of the link I posted there is a link for the forms and associated fees. Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

Here's the link again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration