U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:03 PM

6,159 posts, read 10,893,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Were the people given the opportunity to vote?
And, considering that this issue has been around for at least 20 years, the choice for choosing a yes/no could have been added to any election year ballot with minimal additional cost.
What is the Yes/No question you want to put on a national ballot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 09:19 PM

706 posts, read 796,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
What is the Yes/No question you want to put on a national ballot?
" Should the United States grant Amnesty and and all benefits associated with citizenship to those who are in the country illegally"

Something like that ?

Old 01-29-2010, 09:30 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
" Should the United States grant Amnesty and and all benefits associated with citizenship to those who are in the country illegally"

Something like that ?
It's my hunch that if you insist on wording it that way (above), maybe the reason we won't let the people decide, is because we're afraid that, given the chance, the people might decide to vote 'no'....and that wouldn't do.

Just a hunch, mind you....there may be other reasons I'm not aware of. (for instance, if you let the people decide THAT matter, they may want to start deciding a lot of OTHER things, too! )...

Old 01-29-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's my hunch that if you insist on wording it that way (above), maybe the reason we won't let the people decide, is because we're afraid that, given the chance, the people might decide to vote 'no'....and that wouldn't do.

Just a hunch, mind you....there may be other reasons I'm not aware of. (for instance, if you let the people decide THAT matter, they may want to start deciding a lot of OTHER things, too! )...

Gotcha, Mac.....

Perhaps I should have posed the question in a different manner, such as.....

" should we allow the oregon horned owl to migrate into California forests with no measures to restrain its migration"

Oh Well, I tried.....

Old 01-29-2010, 09:47 PM

6,159 posts, read 10,893,123 times
Quote:

Something like that ?
Well then, why stop with this one? Let's see if the citizenry want to reward all lawbreakers.

Should thieves be allowed to keep their ill gotten gains?

Should burglers be given federal funds to change the locks so they can keep the owners out of their homes?

We have laws for a reason. Doesn't it strike you as silly to ask the American people if they want to not only ignore those laws, but also to reward those who broke the law?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Well then, why stop with this one? Let's see if the citizenry want to reward all lawbreakers.

Should thieves be allowed to keep their ill gotten gains?

Should burglers be given federal funds to change the locks so they can keep the owners out of their homes?

We have laws for a reason. Doesn't it strike you as silly to ask the American people if they want to not only ignore those laws, but also to reward those who broke the law?
Sorry Mr.Keegan.....
I don't find it "silly" to give theAmerican people a voice in anything......

jmo

Old 01-29-2010, 11:02 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think way too much importance is being put on the Hispanic vote. There are only about 40 million of them in this country, not all of them citizens and not all of them can or do vote. I think there is another agenda involved here and it is a combination of wanting the cheap labor, PC liberalism and recruiting future voters who most likely will be Democrats.
True and a lot of "hispanics" aren't immigrants themselves and aren't all for open borders. Hispanics whose families were the SW before the SW joined the USA or whose ancestors came in the early 1900s, usually don't have a whole lot of connection with those coming in illegally and usually don't like paying the costs for them.

I even know of illegals that aren't that much in favor of an amnesty because they think a whole lot of other illegals will come to get in on it and would work cheaper. One guy was saying that a Mexican will work for $5-$8 but a Central American would do the same job for less -- and including his job.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:10 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Its about power. Our elected Reps are well aware of the out come but fear a segment of the voters. They know that the hispanic vote matters and how a large percentage of them would not favor going after illegals..
I think what bothers some people is more the *way* they think they'd go after illegals. No one really wants door-to-door searches of homes where they enter your home looking for illegals who aren't there, no one wants kids dragged out of classrooms and loaded into vans.

Still - when people are deported, and sometimes they are, no one really cares about that either. The INS van loads them up from the holding place, drives them to a gate and they head back into Mexico and it's no big deal, no one gives a second look when deportations actually takes place. Even at the airport when they're flying people back home, no one really pays any attention, the illegals don't make a big scene about it either.

Still - there is no one who minds harsh penalties on the employers of illegals except of course the employers of illegals. Any kind of fine, penalty, jail time of the employers isn't going to bother most people.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:38 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
In a sense the people did vote in 2007. So many anti-amnesty people called Washington that the Capitol switchboard was forced to shut down. Unfortunately it's one of those issues which will keep coming back, because if an amnesty bill is defeated, the pro-amnesty crowd will bring it back in a couple of years. On the other hand, if amnesty is granted, it will encourage more illegal immigration, and we'll be at the same place in another 20 years or so. Actually, illegal immigration has become so common, and uncontrolled, that it probably won't take more than ten years to have another 20 million here, and another amnesty bill will be brought forth.

I'd like to see it on the ballot, but I'm afraid that's not going to happen.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:47 AM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
How about we word it this way: Should immigration laws be enforced?

I think for most it woukd be pretty hard to say no to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration