U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of multiple immigrant families occupying a single household?
More Americans should do this! 2 6.90%
Live and let live 7 24.14%
One household should be occupied by one family! 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM

7,653 posts, read 14,775,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Illegals or not...I don't care WHO you are....as a veteran of many years in the Public Water field in California, overcrowding simply 'tears up' the infrastucture. Having 22 people in a 3-bedroom tract home simply exceeds the DESIGN of the thing...and if it gets to a neighborhood-wide degree, it overloads water lines, sewer lines, the electric grid, everything. There's simply a HUGE difference in a neighborhood with 50 people to the acre, and a similarly-designed neighborhood with 300 people to the acre.

Where does everybody sleep? Where do they dump the trash? Toilets and showers wear out...electrical switches and water meters wear out...doorknobs wear out...lawns are used as parking lots...garages are turned into 'rental units'....a suburban neighborhood simply isn't DESIGNED to house triple or quadruple it's 'target' population. What happens across town, when a 25-MGD (Million gallons per Day) Sewage treatment plant begins to receive 40 MGD?....I can tell you...YUCK !!

In ONE house...it's 'doable', maybe. But when an entire neighborhood gets this strained? Things begin to 'age' and deteriorate prematurely...and the immigration status of the residents is quite beside the point. The plain fact is that people 'put a strain' on an infrastructure.....but FIVE TIMES that number will 'tear it up'.

We have 'zoning laws' not to butt into people's private lives, but because without them, things break down. I've seen it in action, for many years. It's not about illegals..it's about the 'load on the system'.
Interesting perspective from somebody with experience in the field. I was thinking more like 10 or 12 people, rather than 22 people, living in a single house (let's say 2000 square feet). That's the difference between 200 ft^2 / person and <100 ft^2 / person. But I suppose the same principle applies, just not as strongly.

What was really the inspiration for this thread, I guess, was how wasteful some home buyers are. I'm sorry, but a 3,000 or 4,000 square foot house, 4 bedroom / 5 bathroom house is NOT suitable for 4 people - more like 10 or 15.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 AM

32,823 posts, read 30,101,014 times
Escondido is having a huge problem with this as many low income apts have sprouted in residential areas. The masses take up all the parking and the people that have lived there the longest have, in many cases, no place to park. Many homes in S Cal have converted garages so unless they have some pavement to park they are left to compete with the masses for a spot out front of their own homes.

Just think about what that would be like if you were retired.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Interesting perspective from somebody with experience in the field. I was thinking more like 10 or 12 people, rather than 22 people, living in a single house (let's say 2000 square feet). That's the difference between 200 ft^2 / person and <100 ft^2 / person. But I suppose the same principle applies, just not as strongly.

What was really the inspiration for this thread, I guess, was how wasteful some home buyers are. I'm sorry, but a 3,000 or 4,000 square foot house, 4 bedroom / 5 bathroom house is NOT suitable for 4 people - more like 10 or 15.
Families have a right to their own space without having to live with other relatives. If they can afford a home that size then more power to them. 15 people in a 4-5 bedroom house? Sorry, this isn't Mexico, India or any other third world hell hole.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:25 PM

9,064 posts, read 15,485,226 times
It is a way of life for many here in California, just because of affordability.
People sublet, garages are converted to house families. It is not just illegals nor is it just Mexicans.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,080,104 times
you know, i would be of the one house one family mindset, but i know that would not be a very deep analysis or understanding of the issue.

first off, i have a problem with this generalization that 3 to 4 nuclear families live under on roof. i live in LA, born and bred. moved about town and have lived in many many areas FULL of immigrants. ive never seen this be the case. ive seen 3 sisters and their children share a large duplex (until one sister bought a duplex and another moved to an apt (all on the same block). ive seen a family of 4, plus a sister and her 2 kids. 7 people. not bad.
i have seen and know that its more common for bachelors to live 4 or 5 to a house. sometimes 10, but at that point i think its more drop/flop house than anything, and well that is problematic. but off the bat, this ASSumption is not real.

further, i would say again, one house one family, but i dont know the circumstances surrounding the situation. for example, how big is the house/lot. what is it zoned. is it temporary.

the more important issue to consider is; what constitues a family? i live in a multi generational household. my kids. nephews/neices. grand parents. even an occasional cousin (play or otherwise) down on their luck. we live comfortably, i feel this strengthens the bonds we have as a family. and we coexist [including our neighbors] respectfully.

i would be fine with this, and not because that is my reality, but because i always liked the model of the extended family living under on roof. it helps the kids and it makes my house a home. while we are a bigger group than most families, we are by no means a household of 16 people in a two bedroom traditional.

that would be very problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Immigrants, legal or illegal, often live 2, 3, or even 4 nuclear families to a single household This trend promotes efficiency, because where one oven or refrigerator would serve 3 or 4 people in a normal U.S. family, it serves 8 - 12. The down-time these appliances experience in the average American household is also reduced. It also lessens each individual's carbon footprint and saves on energy costs, because there are more people living in the same area. Yet this is seemingly a complaint of nativists, who prefer that everyone would live the traditional (arguably more inefficient) one-family-per-household American way.

Do you have a "live and let live" (vivir y dejar vivir) to this type of housing arrangement, or are you a staunch supporter of one family per household?

Old 02-01-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
you know, i would be of the one house one family mindset, but i know that would not be a very deep analysis or understanding of the issue.

first off, i have a problem with this generalization that 3 to 4 nuclear families live under on roof. i live in LA, born and bred. moved about town and have lived in many many areas FULL of immigrants. ive never seen this be the case. ive seen 3 sisters and their children share a large duplex (until one sister bought a duplex and another moved to an apt (all on the same block). ive seen a family of 4, plus a sister and her 2 kids. 7 people. not bad.
i have seen and know that its more common for bachelors to live 4 or 5 to a house. sometimes 10, but at that point i think its more drop/flop house than anything, and well that is problematic. but off the bat, this ASSumption is not real.

further, i would say again, one house one family, but i dont know the circumstances surrounding the situation. for example, how big is the house/lot. what is it zoned. is it temporary.

the more important issue to consider is; what constitues a family? i live in a multi generational household. my kids. nephews/neices. grand parents. even an occasional cousin (play or otherwise) down on their luck. we live comfortably, i feel this strengthens the bonds we have as a family. and we coexist [including our neighbors] respectfully.

i would be fine with this, and not because that is my reality, but because i always liked the model of the extended family living under on roof. it helps the kids and it makes my house a home. while we are a bigger group than most families, we are by no means a household of 16 people in a two bedroom traditional.

that would be very problematic.
Just because you like having extended family living in your house isn't the norm for most Americans. I can see pluses and negatives on both sides but mostly negatives expecially when it comes to personal privacy in a nuclear family.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:01 PM

no, we have about 8 or 9 people in a LARGE house on a large lot with a LONG drive way. there is plenty of privacy. lots of play space, garden space. home space.
and actually grand parents living with family is the norm in many homes. at least in cultures that care about their elders.

you can see many negatives (which does not suprise me in the least), where i see positives.
difference of opinion and possibly a difference in culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Just because you like having extended family living in your house isn't the norm for most Americans. I can see pluses and negatives on both sides but mostly negatives expecially when it comes to personal privacy in a nuclear family.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no, we have about 8 or 9 people in a LARGE house on a large lot with a LONG drive way. there is plenty of privacy. lots of play space, garden space. home space.
and actually grand parents living with family is the norm in many homes. at least in cultures that care about their elders.

you can see many negatives (which does not suprise me in the least), where i see positives.
difference of opinion and possibly a difference in culture.
Just what is your particular culture? There is a difference in taking in elderly parents then having brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews all living under one roof.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM

well my black culture palces a great deal of emphasis on taking care of our family. come to think of it, so does my hispanic side. multigenerational families abound around here (for whatever reason)!

tell me tho, if its an elder its ok, but not others? i dont need to justify taking in my nephews and niece (CHILDREN!!!) because their folks are indisposed. i do it out of love for the kids. and every now and then a cousin down on their luck TEMPORARILY stays with us.
thats what im saying. that circumstances in families sometimes call for more than 1 family 1 house.

its complex. its not cut and dry. i cnat beleive im even getting into this.
i live in LA. in the more urban part of town. their are social ills at our doorstep. if i can ensure that my kids (inluding my cousins kids) have a safe haven, i will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Just what is your particular culture? There is a difference in taking in elderly parents then having brothers, sisters, cousins, nephews all living under one roof.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:31 PM

9,064 posts, read 15,485,226 times
^^It is culture, some people could care less if their family members are broke poor. It is different in a hispanic house, you extend your arms to family known or unknown, families work together like old American farming families. Goto Iowa and you will see White families who live together, next door or very close because the support is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or