U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What do you think of multiple immigrant families occupying a single household?
More Americans should do this! 2 6.90%
Live and let live 7 24.14%
One household should be occupied by one family! 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
1 for the parents, 3 for the kids, 1 for grandma, 1 as a home office/books and 1 as a guest room = 7
Of course, because it is still a singular nuclear family except for grandma and I already stated that elderly parents are often taken in because they need physical care unlike younger extended family members. That isn't the same thing as having neices, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters all living under one roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Reputation: 2130
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
There is a way to live in a healthy "combined house" by following the regulations. Usually a two party household will hold two separate living areas to save space and energy by not having to run two full homes thusbby sharing the expense. Like in law suites, and you can care for an ailing family member as well as maintain their privacy.

Stuffing 15-20 people in any confined area is a health hazard all the way around and building enormous places is a way to subsidize illegal housing, for sure. I doubt those houses would only hold those alotted according to regulations as they don't follow those regulations now. It will be just more space for them to cram/hide more people continuing the creation of unhealthy unsafe houses.
Except those large tract homes I was telling you about in Calif. do not have seperate living quarters to accomodate more than one family except for seperate bedrooms. They still share a common kitchen, living room and dining area. They aren't built for multi-family dwelliing per se.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Except those large tract homes I was telling you about in Calif. do not have seperate living quarters to accomodate more than one family except for seperate bedrooms. They still share a common kitchen, living room and dining area. They aren't built for multi-family dwelliing per se.
That was the impression I got, chicagonut, i pointed out that there is a healthy way and an unhealthy (unsafe) way for families to merge when necessary. I also pointed out two seperate living areas, two kitchens, just built onto the existing house. At least those on the east coast are that way.

Last edited by getout; 02-02-2010 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Of course, because it is still a singular nuclear family except for grandma and I already stated that elderly parents are often taken in because they need physical care unlike younger extended family members. That isn't the same thing as having neices, uncles, cousins, brothers and sisters all living under one roof.
This isn't a "bad" thing, esp. in a down economy. In fact, this would be beneficial for people to pool resources together to get on their feet. I paid rent at my brother's house for a while. After work, my sister in law and I took turns watching over my nephew. It worked out really well. Having a nuclear family is not a variable for success, in fact we tend to fantasize about this "traditional" (it's actually a relatively new concept) to the point that it can become unhealthy and self destructive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 01:31 AM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
Live and let live is fine until all those families cars interferes with my ability to find a parking space or keep me up at night with arguments.



Try dealing with this in a pretty upscale neighboorhood. I don't mean to put any one down here at all, just being honest. We have Mexican neighboors, who are in a beautiful 4,000 sq ft home, they are here legally, but know what you mean, and it drives me up a freaking wall, there are also, the Husband's parents living in the home, the Wives parents lviing in the home, and the Husband's sister's family also living in this home, Illegally living in the home. Ok it may be a big home, but come on now, for all those people. I know what you mean about parking, they constantly have people over, i swear they have about 500 realtives it seems. Makes me crazy, and my Italian blood kicks in. And i hate to say this, but the freaking mexican music, sends me out of control. In a mexican restaurant, it is fine, i enjoy it, but blasting music that is played over and over again, can make a sane person crazy. They also have 4 kids of there own, where does everyone sleep. It is a 5 bedroom 5 bath home. But still!~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Exaggerate much? I was unable to find the average household size specifically for illegal immigrants. However, I was able to find the numbers for all immigrants and for all Hispanics (both were around 3.5...according to Pew Hispanic, the Census, and recent studies at UC Irvine...all three had different numbers, this is a rough average of those averages). Seeing how illegal immigrants usually fall average in both these segments, it is safe to assume that the illegal immigrant household size is roughly 3.5 people. This is in contrast the average size of American households of 2.6 people. While larger, def. not 15-20 people.
I don’t believe studies have been conducted on this illegal alien lifestyle, so I’m not surprised you couldn’t find any. Furthermore, we are not discussing “immigrants,” so your stats are useless. How can you accuse me of exaggerating, if you can’t prove me wrong?

Let’s not forget the drop houses.

Quote:
Agent Pena and I pull up to a beautiful stucco home with a Spanish tile roof. You would never suspect the house was used by smugglers. "I wouldn't mind living in a house like this," Pena says. His agents found 160 illegal immigrants stashed in this house.
CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 12:00 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
I don’t believe studies have been conducted on this illegal alien lifestyle, so I’m not surprised you couldn’t find any. Furthermore, we are not discussing “immigrants,” so your stats are useless. How can you accuse me of exaggerating, if you can’t prove me wrong?

I'm actually QUITE certain there are. My friend is getting his PhD in sociology, I did ask him concerning any studies of illegal immigrants (specifically in Southern California) he may know. Well, he mentioned a few, but I can't get access since they are academic works (my library access expired last month...it costs several hundred to renew). It def. is not 15 per household...even the densest communities in the nation average around 6 per household. So, yeah it is an exaggeration. Also, the fact that illegal immigrants TYPICALLY follow both immigrant and Hispanic trends...there is a reasonable assumption that 15 per household is ridiculous. Not to mention, the burden of proof lies in your court (you made an assertion, I showed that segments of the population that illegal immigrants usually fall on the mean on don't support your assertion...thus, what proof do you have?)

Let’s not forget the drop houses.

We can since they constitute a insignificant proportion of housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Try dealing with this in a pretty upscale neighboorhood. I don't mean to put any one down here at all, just being honest. We have Mexican neighboors, who are in a beautiful 4,000 sq ft home, they are here legally, but know what you mean, and it drives me up a freaking wall, there are also, the Husband's parents living in the home, the Wives parents lviing in the home, and the Husband's sister's family also living in this home, Illegally living in the home. Ok it may be a big home, but come on now, for all those people. I know what you mean about parking, they constantly have people over, i swear they have about 500 realtives it seems. Makes me crazy, and my Italian blood kicks in. And i hate to say this, but the freaking mexican music, sends me out of control. In a mexican restaurant, it is fine, i enjoy it, but blasting music that is played over and over again, can make a sane person crazy. They also have 4 kids of there own, where does everyone sleep. It is a 5 bedroom 5 bath home. But still!~
Why? 4,000 sq. ft is a HUGE space. If I'm not mistaken, you posted you live in Rancho Belago (Moreno Valley). It's an upscale, quiet neighborhood that is in the epicenter of the great recession. Pooling their resources is not a bad thing. I'd much rather live next to a "crowded" house (by your standards) than a house that is completely empty. The noise thing is a different story. If it's that bad, maybe talk to them. However, the rest is their decision that really doesn't affect you (there is tons of parking and most likely nobody would ever know in the coffee bland, ticky tacky, pre fab, subdivisions that is Rancho Belago).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I don’t believe studies have been conducted on this illegal alien lifestyle, so I’m not surprised you couldn’t find any. Furthermore, we are not discussing “immigrants,” so your stats are useless. How can you accuse me of exaggerating, if you can’t prove me wrong?

[color=darkred]I'm actually QUITE certain there are. My friend is getting his PhD in sociology, I did ask him concerning any studies of illegal immigrants (specifically in Southern California) he may know. Well, he mentioned a few, but I can't get access since they are academic works (my library access expired last month...it costs several hundred to renew). It def. is not 15 per household...even the densest communities in the nation average around 6 per household. So, yeah it is an exaggeration. Also, the fact that illegal immigrants TYPICALLY follow both immigrant and Hispanic trends...there is a reasonable assumption that 15 per household is ridiculous. Not to mention, the burden of proof lies in your court (you made an assertion, I showed that segments of the population that illegal immigrants usually fall on the mean on don't support your assertion...thus, what proof do you have?)[/COLOR]

Let’s not forget the drop houses.

We can since they constitute a insignificant proportion of housing.
I never stated that I have verifiable proof. You accused me of exaggerating, and I responded. Given that you have nothing credible to refute my assertion, I stand by my comments, until proven wrong.

I’m curious. How did your friend gain the trust of illegal aliens to disclose their status; and how many illegals were included in his/her academic work?

Also, would you care to share your source for the “insignificance” of drop houses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2010, 02:51 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
I never stated that I have verifiable proof. You accused me of exaggerating, and I responded. Given that you have nothing credible to refute my assertion, I stand by my comments, until proven wrong.

It's an exaggeration. Plain and simple. We can move on now. You are wrong. Again, if you have NO direct proof or even correlative proof...you can't simply say things and imply it's fact.

I’m curious. How did your friend gain the trust of illegal aliens to disclose their status; and how many illegals were included in his/her academic work?

Well, seeing how polls and surveys are anon. it's not too hard. Sample sizes usually are about a few hundred people (again depending on the paper). Again, not his paper, since he is more focused on labor issues...but papers he had to read for his classes.

Also, would you care to share your source for the “insignificance” of drop houses?

Well, seeing how there are roughly 8-10 million illegal immigrants...the majority have lived here more than 5 years. The median income is above 40k a year...not to mention that a majority are renters. So it's a pretty safe bet. I'm not a gambling man, but I'd wager that it's def. not a significant amount of people living in such places.

[/quote]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top