U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of multiple immigrant families occupying a single household?
More Americans should do this! 2 6.90%
Live and let live 7 24.14%
One household should be occupied by one family! 20 68.97%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:57 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,771,783 times

Advertisements

Immigrants, legal or illegal, often live 2, 3, or even 4 nuclear families to a single household This trend promotes efficiency, because where one oven or refrigerator would serve 3 or 4 people in a normal U.S. family, it serves 8 - 12. The down-time these appliances experience in the average American household is also reduced. It also lessens each individual's carbon footprint and saves on energy costs, because there are more people living in the same area. Yet this is seemingly a complaint of nativists, who prefer that everyone would live the traditional (arguably more inefficient) one-family-per-household American way.

Do you have a "live and let live" (vivir y dejar vivir) to this type of housing arrangement, or are you a staunch supporter of one family per household?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 07:03 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,897,953 times
That would depend on the zoning laws, safety concerns etc. Add to this for example. A 2 bedroom apartment is assessed a certain dollar amount for taxes.. That based on a single family using the property. By having 2 or 3 families living there the taxes do not reflect the tax payer burden.
So No I am against this concept completely based upon the tax cheat alone.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:06 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,140,009 times
I oppose illegal harboring because we are not of a tribal community, we use safety laws regarding any said health issues or communicative diseases which are more inherent to these types of situations. I doubt if illegals follow said rules. If many are using an appliance it is more likely someone will leave the stove on causing a fire endangering all. There goes your carbon foot print!

Regarding the carbon footprint, I'll be dead! or Nukes will take it out anyway! j/k..

To be fair, any over housing is just a tragedy waiting to happen whether by legal, illegal immigrants or American citizens.

Last edited by getout; 01-31-2010 at 07:26 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 07:08 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,771,783 times
I just noticed that "ser" should probably be replaced by "estar" in my sentence. Pesky Romance copula...

Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM

23,025 posts, read 31,998,566 times
Live and let live is fine until all those families cars interferes with my ability to find a parking space or keep me up at night with arguments.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:19 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
I am OK with multiple families pooling resources-----------if they are here legally and watch their manners i.e. keeping the noise down and not hogging all of the available parking spaces.

Illegal alien families need to be booted out en masse-----------including their minor age Anchors.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times
Illegals or not...I don't care WHO you are....as a veteran of many years in the Public Water field in California, overcrowding simply 'tears up' the infrastucture. Having 22 people in a 3-bedroom tract home simply exceeds the DESIGN of the thing...and if it gets to a neighborhood-wide degree, it overloads water lines, sewer lines, the electric grid, everything. There's simply a HUGE difference in a neighborhood with 50 people to the acre, and a similarly-designed neighborhood with 300 people to the acre.

Where does everybody sleep? Where do they dump the trash? Toilets and showers wear out...electrical switches and water meters wear out...doorknobs wear out...lawns are used as parking lots...garages are turned into 'rental units'....a suburban neighborhood simply isn't DESIGNED to house triple or quadruple it's 'target' population. What happens across town, when a 25-MGD (Million gallons per Day) Sewage treatment plant begins to receive 40 MGD?....I can tell you...YUCK !!

In ONE house...it's 'doable', maybe. But when an entire neighborhood gets this strained? Things begin to 'age' and deteriorate prematurely...and the immigration status of the residents is quite beside the point. The plain fact is that people 'put a strain' on an infrastructure.....but FIVE TIMES that number will 'tear it up'.

We have 'zoning laws' not to butt into people's private lives, but because without them, things break down. I've seen it in action, for many years. It's not about illegals..it's about the 'load on the system'.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:45 PM

3,675 posts, read 5,858,800 times
No! It's a huge strain on public services. Think about water, sewer, electrical and the overcrowding in schools. There are a lot of illegals in my area. The schools are horribly over crowded, half the students don't speak English, so none of them are learning much. Brown outs are becoming more common as the electrical supply is not made for this number of people. I hope the sewers don't start to overflow. Some hospitals have gone bankrupt and the few that remain are stretched to the limit. No, multiple families living in dwellings and neighborhoods not designed for them is a disaster.

A bad idea all around.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,761,562 times
Very unfair to taxpayers since the current system rewards those who break zoning and health laws by cramming in many families and also non-relatives into a one family home. If this is to become the norm, then each individual family should start paying property taxes since each has 5-12 kids that use the schools or eliminate property taxes for one family households.

Why not just go all the way to a third world living style, no regulations at all, no building codes. Why not eliminate the sewer systems and go to open latrines and outhouses. Again you can't have a handful of people paying for the infrastructure needed when 5 or 6 families are living in one small home.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,140,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
No! It's a huge strain on public services. Think about water, sewer, electrical and the overcrowding in schools. There are a lot of illegals in my area. The schools are horribly over crowded, half the students don't speak English, so none of them are learning much. Brown outs are becoming more common as the electrical supply is not made for this number of people. I hope the sewers don't start to overflow. Some hospitals have gone bankrupt and the few that remain are stretched to the limit. No, multiple families living in dwellings and neighborhoods not designed for them is a disaster.

A bad idea all around.
I keep hearing this over and over again where illegals have squatted....

How can ANYONE say this is a positive to our country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or