Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 11:17 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
While that might be true, you cannot argue that the Right hasn't had their hand in this since the beginning. All facts point to the Repubs pandering the most, Reagan, Bush and just as recent as McCain want amnesty.

You can yell and mask the profanity filter all you want, but that doesn't change the facts.
Yeah. Yeah. It's interesting to note that NumbersUSA just came out with their illegal immigration report cards for members of Congress.

We can analyze the grades as follows: D grades: dems 67 repubs 2
F grades: dems 135 repubs 4

So totalling up the D and F grades we get Dems 202 vs repubs 6

So, as I've said many, many times, this is proof positive that, currently, the majority of republican politicians are fighting illegal immigration and, currently, the majority of amnesty democratic politicians are fighting the republican's fighting illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:29 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
You are going to look at the current timeframe for a problem that has been built up over decades? Sure the Repubs are changing NOW...they have to because they were handed loss after loss...so yeah they are flipping now.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-03-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 11:33 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
OpenCongress Summary

This bill would eliminate birthright citizenship for children born to undocumented immigrants in the U.S. Current U.S. law automatically recognizes any person born on American soil as a natural born citizen. Under the bill, only children with at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen, a legal permanent resident, or an undocumented immigrant serving in the military would be considered citizens.

.................................................. .................................................. ...................

One problem with this legislation...Its Un constitutional. the 14th states...

Section 1.All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;

Since the constitution considers them Citizen at birth, NO STATE ...not even congress can remove any rights granted to them at birth. Parentage is not a condition for citizenship under the 14th.

A simple law "Clarifing citizenship" by congress is not enough, there has to be an amendment to the Constitution, stating that persons born on US soil must have One parent being a US citizen at time of birth.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
You are going to look at the current timeframe for a problem that has been built up over decades? Sure the Repubs are changing NOW...they have too because they were handed loss after loss...so yeah they are flipping now.
We don't agree often but on this we do. Both parties have utterly failed this nation in regards to immigration enforcment, border security, and well just about everything else that they have been tasked to do. But no one has failed more than the voter. Voters can fire these incompetent boobs. But time and time again we give them the walk. I say we because we the people allowed it.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:40 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
We don't agree often but on this we do. Both parties have utterly failed this nation in regards to immigration enforcment, border security, and well just about everything else that they have been tasked to do. But no one has failed more than the voter. Voters can fire these incompetent boobs. But time and time again we give them the walk. I say we because we the people allowed it.
Amen!

Old 02-03-2010, 02:05 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
OpenCongress Summary

This bill would eliminate birthright citizenship for children born to undocumented immigrants in the U.S. Current U.S. law automatically recognizes any person born on American soil as a natural born citizen. Under the bill, only children with at least one parent who is a U.S. citizen, a legal permanent resident, or an undocumented immigrant serving in the military would be considered citizens.

.................................................. .................................................. ...................

One problem with this legislation...Its Un constitutional. the 14th states...

Section 1.All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States;

Since the constitution considers them Citizen at birth, NO STATE ...not even congress can remove any rights granted to them at birth. Parentage is not a condition for citizenship under the 14th.

A simple law "Clarifing citizenship" by congress is not enough, there has to be an amendment to the Constitution, stating that persons born on US soil must have One parent being a US citizen at time of birth.
This bill would change federal law on birthright citizenship. These babies are not subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. They are the offspring of their parents who are subject to the jurisdiction of their own homelands. Whatever is necessary to make this change would be followed to the letter of the law and of course end up in the Supreme Court as its final destination for ratification.

The intent is not to strip those who were born under the erroneous interpretation of the 14th in the past of their citizenship but to start fresh with the correct intepretation and affect any newborns from that point on.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:24 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,632,077 times
Quote:
You are going to look at the current timeframe for a problem that has been built up over decades? Sure the Repubs are changing NOW...they have to because they were handed loss after loss...so yeah they are flipping now.
We don't need a history lesson here. In politics it's what are you doing for me now. The tribally ethnocentric hispanics who give their loyalties to whoever is hispandering to them the most sure screamed bloody murder when Obama didn't hispander to them in his state of the union speech. Obama could have said, "well I hispandered to you last month", but that doesn't seem to work on tribally ethnocentri hispanics. So yeah, the repubs only had 6 members who got a D or F in the fight against illegal immigration. What is astonishing though is that a whopping 202 left wing amnesty progessive democrats got Ds and Fs on fighting illegal immigration. So I get to repeat over and over again that, currently, the majority of republicans in Congress are fighting illegal immigration and currently the majority of left wing amnesty progressive democratic politicians are fighting the republican's fighting illegal immigration. It's time to clean some house come the Nov elections isn't it?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:45 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
This bill would change federal law on birthright citizenship. These babies are not subject to the jurisdiction of the U.S. They are the offspring of their parents who are subject to the jurisdiction of their own homelands. Whatever is necessary to make this change would be followed to the letter of the law and of course end up in the Supreme Court as its final destination for ratification.

The intent is not to strip those who were born under the erroneous interpretation of the 14th in the past of their citizenship but to start fresh with the correct intepretation and affect any newborns from that point on.
If a law can be writen to make citizenship at birth contingent on the parent, what is to stop others from writing legislation for other conditions.

I believe that a child born on Ameican soil, to communist parent should not be given citizenship. I also believe that Children born to Felons are unworthy of citizenship and all the rights that entails.

When you start setting conditions, that goes against the spirt of the 14th ammendment. But what do I know.

Comming to a court near you...

BTW, till this law is writen and passed by both houses of congress and signed into Law by the President of the United States...And deemed constitutional by The Supreme Court, Persons born on American soil are American.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
If a law can be writen to make citizenship at birth contingent on the parent, what is to stop others from writing legislation for other conditions.

I believe that a child born on Ameican soil, to communist parent should not be given citizenship. I also believe that Children born to Felons are unworthy of citizenship and all the rights that entails.

When you start setting conditions, that goes against the spirt of the 14th ammendment. But what do I know.

BTW, till this law is writen and passed by both houses of congress and signed into Law by the President of the United States...And deemed constitutional by The Supreme Court, Persons born on American soil are American.
You are comparing apples to oranges here assuming the felon and the communist are American citizens in your analogy.

Are you aware that most countries set that same condition about birthright citizenship? Either one or both of the parents of the newborn have to be citizens. I think this makes sense. If the parent's loyalty and place of birth is in another country why should their newborn become a citizen of our country just because his/her mother managed to slip her birth canal over our border or flew in here just prior to her birthing? Or came and hid out in our country till her moment of birth for that matter?

I haven't said that under the present misinterpretation of the 14th that I don't consider those who became citizens in this manner aren't really citizens but just that the law needs changing to reflect what it's true intention was when written.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:10 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:

Being that the only two First World countries that still offer birthright citizenship are the USA and Canada: plenty of precedent has been set by Ireland, the UK, France, in effectively banning any sort of Anchor Baby.

Too: US law already specifies that the US born children of foreign diplomats do not qualify for birthright citizenship--------------what gives a bunch of losers (illegal aliens) who have no business being here in the first place the above?

BTW: rescinding birthright citizenship will occur---------especially of this recession keeps dragging on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration