Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Yes, indeed, it is unfair. Sometimes I think that we should on a case-by-case basis give some of the illegals a chance to regularize their status--maybe not a "path to citizenship," but some kind of permit to allow those here working and not committing any violent crimes to remain. But I always come back to the same starting point: it didn't work in 1986, and there is no way to justify it to the millions of people worldwide who have waited patiently in line, and followed all the proper procedures. There's just no way to get around that in my mind.

I, too, have no hate towards those here illegally. I imagine many of them are good people; however, they have shown a total disrespect to this nation and its people. I don't care what their ethnicity, from where they come. Those who come here with a revanchist mindset, or who are brainwashed into it later, are that much more odious to me.

Another amnesty would only send the message that we do not respect our own nation and its borders and so why should anyone else. It would only encourage more illegal immigration/visa overstay IMO.
Absolutely! And yes, the Reconquista crowd is the most arrogant, obnoxious, and despicable of all illegals.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:14 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Ok, by that definition, how many traffic offenses did you commit today? I was speeding and ran a red light on my way into work. I guess that makes me a criminal too. Once I gambled in Utah with my friends in my living room; that makes me a felon. If I go shooting with my AR15 in Western Nevada I'm OK, but if I walk across the border into CA I would also be a felon.

I've worked for 10 years in Criminal Justice and can say without doubt that what is legal and not legal is not necessarily what's right and wrong.

People don't buy that simplistic definition because the issue is not that simple.
You are correct in part. It is not a simple problem, very true. The part that IS very simple is that these people are criminals as soon as they enter the country and should treated as such. Yes, if I break the law, I should be punished as is fitting. So should the illegal immigrants. Whether you or I think something is right or wrong makes no difference. This is a Country of laws. If you don't like a law, work to get it changed. Untill then illegal immigrants are criminals. Get it?

Old 02-01-2010, 02:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Yes, indeed, it is unfair. Sometimes I think that we should on a case-by-case basis give some of the illegals a chance to regularize their status--maybe not a "path to citizenship," but some kind of permit to allow those here working and not committing any violent crimes to remain. But I always come back to the same starting point: it didn't work in 1986, and there is no way to justify it to the millions of people worldwide who have waited patiently in line, and followed all the proper procedures. There's just no way to get around that in my mind.

I, too, have no hate towards those here illegally. I imagine many of them are good people; however, they have shown a total disrespect to this nation and its people. I don't care what their ethnicity, from where they come. Those who come here with a revanchist mindset, or who are brainwashed into it later, are that much more odious to me.

Another amnesty would only send the message that we do not respect our own nation and its borders and so why should anyone else. It would only encourage more illegal immigration/visa overstay IMO.
Also, taking them on a case by case basis would eliminate most illegals from being given a chance to stay here under any condition in my mind because most if not many of them are felons by virtue of their stolen/fake I.D.s and SS numbers. There is no way we should forgive or reward the crime of felony. We sure wouldn't do it for our own citizens.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
That the hispanic population will increase, the white population will become a minority, that speaking Spanish in the US will become more important (maybe even necessary) as time goes on, especially here in the Southwest.

Also, racial tension and violence will only increase, as demonstrated by angry posts from all the hardcore minutemen in this forum. That eventuality is what bothers me the most.
Try again: I live here in the Phx area and about 40% of the (mostly) Hispanic illegal aliens have left since 2007.

Again: just accept the fact that it is over for any sort of amnesty.

For that matter: it would behoove Mexico to make the study of English mandatory. Outside of Spain or Latin America; Spanish is not an important language---------English is the world over.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:33 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Also, taking them on a case by case basis would eliminate most illegals from being given a chance to stay here under any condition in my mind because most if not many of them are felons by virtue of their stolen/fake I.D.s and SS numbers. There is no way we should forgive or reward the crime of felony. We sure wouldn't do it for our own citizens.
Tell me about it. Why should we absolve foreign criminals of their crimes; while we arrest, prosecute, and incarcerate citizens for similar violations? Moreover, the measly $500 fine proposed is a joke. Let them return home and actually get in the back of the line. How the heck can they be at the back of line while they remain in this country? If I sneak into a concert, and am permitted to remain, how am I behind those waiting in line outside? It’s BS.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Try again: I live
Quote:
here in the Phx area and about 40% of the (mostly) Hispanic illegal aliens have left since 2007.
Again: just accept the fact that it is over for any sort of amnesty.

For that matter: it would behoove Mexico to make the study of English mandatory. Outside of Spain or Latin America; Spanish is not an important language---------English is the world over.
I'm really glad to hear about that. It's about time Az's bills started taking some action.
Maybe they'll give Sheriff Joe some room to work now.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 11,257 times
Unless you were born here, get your a** in line and wait your turn.
We pay for Illegals to have their babies in country and they get to stay, get paid cash under the table and pay no taxes, but get to collect disability if they are hurt. and my TAX PAYING wife was told by work comp, sorry we are not going to pay for your WORK injury.
And don't ask me if I speak Spanish, you want to talk to me Learn English, after all you are in MY homeland. Learn it or go the H*** back where you came from.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:53 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markb54 View Post
Unless you were born here, get your a** in line and wait your turn.
We pay for Illegals to have their babies in country and they get to stay, get paid cash under the table and pay no taxes, but get to collect disability if they are hurt. and my TAX PAYING wife was told by work comp, sorry we are not going to pay for your WORK injury.
And don't ask me if I speak Spanish, you want to talk to me Learn English, after all you are in MY homeland. Learn it or go the H*** back where you came from.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:36 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
'America's Shame' is hatred of illegals? That's odd...I always thought America's shame was hatred of single Moms....and gays...and the handicapped...and blacks....and people who drive SUV's....and the poor...and people who earn over 250K / year....and Muslims....and Indians...and the homeless...and Hispanics....and teenagers....and the mentally ill....and the Irish....and skateboarders...and Asian drivers...and monogamy...and the hearing-impaired. I must have missed the part when we began hating illegals. I thought illegals hated us!!...(?) Guess I have a lot to learn.

But if it's true, and we DO really hate illegals, why would they stay here and continue to put up with the abuse? Why remain here, where they're hated, when they could return home, where they're loved and appreciated? If we're keeping illegals here against their will, I think that should stop immediately. NO ONE should be compelled to travel to a foreign country where he's hated, nor should any foreigner be compelled to remain in such a place. If illegals are hated, our moral obligation is to see that they're allowed to return safely home, immediately.

But I STILL don't think we hate illegals as much as we hate many other groups....like conservatives....or deer hunters....or rap artists....or gang members....or politicians...or nursing mothers...or the elderly...etc etc etc etc..

Let's face it, here in America we hate JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY. Why should illegals be an exception?

Old 02-01-2010, 04:46 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
'America's Shame' is hatred of illegals? That's odd...I always thought America's shame was hatred of single Moms....and gays...and the handicapped...and blacks....and people who drive SUV's....and the poor...and people who earn over 250K / year....and Muslims....and Indians...and the homeless...and Hispanics....and teenagers....and the mentally ill....and the Irish....and skateboarders...and Asian drivers...and the hearing-impaired. I must have missed the part when we began hating illegals. I thought illegals hated us!!...(?) Guess I have a lot to learn.

But if it's true, and we DO really hate illegals, why would they stay here and continue to put up with the abuse? Why remain here, where they're hated, when they could return home, where they're loved and appreciated? If we're keeping illegals here against their will, I think that should stop immediately. NO ONE should be compelled to travel to a foreign country where he's hated, nor should any foreigner be compelled to remain in such a place. If illegals are hated, our moral obligation is to see that they're allowed to return safely home, immediately.

But I STILL don't think we hate illegals as much as we hate many other groups....like conservatives....or deer hunters....or rap artists....or gang members....or politicians...or nursing mothers...or the elderly...etc etc etc etc..

Let's face it, here in America we hate JUST ABOUT EVERYBODY. Why should illegals be an exception?
LOL! You're funny, Macmeal. Watch out though some of the pro-illegals in here will take you seriously as they did AZBear who said, if wanting our immigration laws enforced makes me a xenophobic "then so be it"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration