Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:26 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,867 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal

Approximately 2.8 million students will graduate from United States High Schools this year. Some of them will go on to college, join the military, or take another path in life, eventually becoming active members of society, all equally American. However, in this sea of individuals, a group of approximately 60,000 will not have this opportunity, not because they lack motivation, but because of the status passed on to them by their parents. These often highly achieved individuals cannot attend college, enlist in the armed forces, or otherwise live a full life. Children that grew up on American soil, respect the laws of this country, and want nothing more than to be recognized for what they are, Americans, bear an inherited title of an “illegal immigrant”.

The DREAM Act is a bill introduced in the United States Senate in November of 2005 by Senator Richard Durbin that will solve this growing problem. Now boasting 20 cosponsors, this legislature is a carefully constructed document with strict requirements and eligibility limitations. Under the provisions of this bill, those who entered the United States five years prior to the passage of the legislature and were under the age of 16 at the time of entry are eligible for a six year conditional residency status upon completion of an associates degree or two years of military service. If the applicant demonstrates good moral character, at the end of the six year conditional residency, the applicant can apply for United States citizenship. This is the opportunity that eligible students hope for.

Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal | DREAM Act Portal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Reading their forums sure gives one a clearer perspective on them, doesn't it? Albeit that perspective isn't the one they'd like us to have...

Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal

Approximately 2.8 million students will graduate from United States High Schools this year. Some of them will go on to college, join the military, or take another path in life, eventually becoming active members of society, all equally American. However, in this sea of individuals, a group of approximately 60,000 will not have this opportunity, not because they lack motivation, but because of the status passed on to them by their parents. These often highly achieved individuals cannot attend college, enlist in the armed forces, or otherwise live a full life. Children that grew up on American soil, respect the laws of this country, and want nothing more than to be recognized for what they are, Americans, bear an inherited title of an “illegal immigrant”.

Welcome to the DREAM Act Portal | DREAM Act Portal
Correction: All equally ILLEGAL.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:36 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Reading their forums sure gives one a clearer perspective on them, doesn't it? Albeit that perspective isn't the one they'd like us to have...
Most definitely! They have sanitized their formerly putrid site; albeit, remnants of their ingrained disdain and entitlement are still evident. All they do is whine about the mean-spirited and racist Americans. It’s basically a pity party.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Definitely. So much so I've sent links from that board to both my senators: Durbin and Obama. The drunk driving, the lying, the fake documents, wishing death upon certain senators against amnesty, and my favorite: the poster who admits to being sloppy drunk and calling up the Tyra Banks show to solicit support for their cause.

Yep, they are so much more deserving of a college degree than an American child . . NOT.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Most definitely! They have sanitized their formerly putrid site; albeit, remnants of their ingrained disdain and entitlement are still evident. All they do is whine about the mean-spirited and racist Americans. It’s basically a pity party.

That's all it is. Even more evident of late. All they ever do is whine about how hard their illegal alien lives are. They are so selfish it has yet to occur to them that America is heading for a depression and our citizens are suffering and they are contributing to that sufferage. They don't care that American students are being rejected from colleges because they are illegally occupying space that should go to an American citizen. As a matter of fact, they never discuss anything that isn't remotely related to their shallow little, self absorbed existence, demands and expectations courtesy of the American taxpayer.

It's all about them and their little self absorbed delusional sense of entitlement.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:22 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Correction: All equally ILLEGAL.
All American high school graduates are illegal??

Old 07-30-2008, 05:28 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,925,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
All American high school graduates are illegal??
So sad really. I am sorry that the public education system failed you so.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times
good site. lots of testimonials in the new member section. Tells a lot about some of these bloodthirsty gangbanging, freeloading aliens.

Quote:
Hello... I'm new =0)
Hello.. I'm 23 yrs. old and reside in North Hollywood CA, I am currently attending junior college I want to major in Graphic Design. Just like everyone here, I too from time to time get extremely discouraged. My parents brought me here from Mexico when I was 6 and they thought that by the time I was in high school we would be legal... well they were wrong... I don't blame them, they were just looking for a better life for us. All of my friends have papers and none of them understand my situation that is why I'm thankful I found this forum b/c sometimes I really need to vent... I need to find a new job but I'm finding it very difficult.. I feel so discouraged, on the one hand I want to finish school, but on the other I feel I can't handle being in the U.S anymore being an illegal immigrant b/c there are so many obstacles and just when you think you surpassed one there's another one waiting for you...

Well thank you all for reading and letting me vent... =0)

Quote:
I met my fiance in French class at college two and a half years ago. I fell in love with him and want to marry him and have children with him, but I'm terrified all the time because he is here illegally. His parents brought him over when he was 3 and when his sister was 4. I love him and his family so much and I don't want to see anything bad happen to them.

I know that the Dream Act will affect the children that have been brought over illegally, but it will also help people like me... and our children. My fiance and his sister have never done anything wrong and they and their future spouses are paying the price. We can't travel together. We can't have anything nice because he can't get a good job... I could go on forever. All you guys know.

They have gone to college (amazingly a Cal State college let them in and allowed them resident tuition) and now they don't know what they can do with their degrees. (The Dream Act WILL help them now that they've graduated, right? They've been here for 21 years.)

Sometimes I really want to just move to Mexico because life would probably be easier for us, but this is their home too and they don't want to leave. My country has failed me. We're going to be poor for the rest of our lives because he can't get a good job, he has to pay hefty fines for driving (or doing ANYTHING), my future sister-in-law is in $30,000 debt with a hospital because she had to get her appendix removed. (Do you guys know if I could put him on my insurance and have me not get in trouble?) And he won't get any of the social security back that he's made.

Do you guys think that if Obama wins the Dream Act will actually pass? My fiance and his family don't think it'll ever happen, so we're trying to get green cards through marriage, but I don't think that's possible. A lawyer told them that it's the only way to do it, but none of the forms cater to those who CAME illegally. If anyone has any advice for me, please help! I'm going to look around on the forums, but I highly doubt I'll find anything.

Also, I know I can write to my congressman about the Dream Act, but is there anything else I can do?
Quote:
I came across this site a few weeks ago, and I can really relate to everyone here. My family came to the US on tourist visas when I was 11. I'm 23 now and undocumented. My parents pay taxes and everything. I can't drive, open a checking account, officially hold a job, afford to get my own place, and a lot of other stuff which have made it hard to fit in and made my future look hopeless. Luckily, I'm allowed to pay in-state tuition at a state university, though I don't qualify for financial aid. I love what I'm studying and want to put my degree to use when I graduate in a year.

I want to think that it's worthwile to have had my parents spend a lot of money for me to get my degree, which, as it turns out, isn't marketable unless I go to grad/med/pharm school (out of the question). But I don't see any job opportunities. I even explained my situation to a career counselor at school who has dealt with students like me before, and he didn't know of any options for me. He couldn't even help me find an internship . I feel massively guilty that I haven't even held a job before, so that makes papers and work experience as huge obstacles for me in getting work after college. I'm really lucky that my parents haven't made me feel bad about not working for all these years, as long as my grades are good, but they won't tolerate me accepting a menial job after graduation.

This is frustrating. I've been battling anxiety all year because of my situation. I don't want to keep living like a child; I want to have some control over my life. Right now, I just want any job and don't know where to get one. Where have you guys gotten jobs that didn't require a SSN? I don't want to take a risk by using a fake #.
My parents haven't met with an immigration lawyer yet to attempt to change our status, because they're afraid of getting ripped off. I've been researching sibling petitions to see how that works. That seems to be our only hope at this point.
Quote:
Hello. I'm new here and my mom thought it was a good idea to join this because i can get pretty depressed about my status in the US. So i thought i would give it a try...

Umm, i was brought to the US when i was less than a year old so i guess that's a pretty long time. I think i found out that i was born in Mexico when i was about 4 years old because i have a letter i wrote around that time to President Clinton asking him to let me and my parents stay here. i didnt really understand the situation until i got rejected on getting my drivers permit for not having a social security or the "right documents". i have to say that hurt pretty bad especially knowing that my little sister might have to drive me around since she was born here, which is kind of funny because it should be the other way around, you know?? . I think i lost all my hope right there on the spot. This past school year was my senior year, you know the year where i am supposed to apply to colleges, and i just couldn't do it. i thought of how much money i would have to pay because im not from here and i just couldn't apply. So i didn't. My dream was to go to UT or to some really nice univerisity and i felt like my status would not help me. So i signed up for community college which is better than not going at all. Anyway i signed up, said that i wasnt born here and that i live here and blah blah blah. The college said that i was an international student and that i have to pay double a texas resident's fee. sometimes i feel like just not going to spare my parents the money. I'm sorry if you think i'm whining too much but i just never feel comfortable telling other people this because all of my close friends are citizens and i feel out of place. i'm just really glad that there's a place where i can actually talk about this. I'm really hoping that the DREAM act will pass not just for my own good, but for every person that has hope for their future. Anyway thanks for reading this. I'm happy i could tell someone about this.

Lots of interesting testimonials. Doesn't sound like people are getting the free ride they are being accused of. And oh my god, are they speaking ENGLISH??!!?

Thanks for the site, Jdubs mom.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
good site. lots of testimonials in the new member section. Tells a lot about some of these bloodthirsty gangbanging, freeloading aliens.

Lots of interesting testimonials. Doesn't sound like people are getting the free ride they are being accused of. And oh my god, are they speaking ENGLISH??!!?

Thanks for the site, Jdubs mom.
Oh please . . you pull up a few of your buddies' SOB stories and expect us to have a pity party in their honor? I've got printed versions of a multitude of posts from that board and many of them are not only ugly but very self incriminating.

Did I mention I have an upcoming meeting with Durbin in Washington?

You and your DREAMY buddies need to start packing. That amnesty you're waiting on? It ain't gonna happen.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-01-2008 at 06:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration