U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:50 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Variable smariable, itís all irrelevant. We have laws, and they need to be enforced. We do not need to change our laws to accommodate criminals.
And this is why I can't take you seriously sometimes (not wanting to look at root causes, not wanting to gain a historical perspective). You can't simply not take things into consideration...Obviously the illegal immigrants themselves are a large variable.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:51 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

Why not leave the people alone and change the damn laws. there is no real movement to solve this proplem.

?
Change WHAT damn laws? We have laws against crossing our borders without proper permission...we have laws against overstaying a visa...we have laws against using fake ID....we have laws requiring employers to take reasonable precautions not to employ illegals, and we have laws against loitering and accosting people.

What damn laws, in particular, are you advocating we change? What people, exactly, do you feel should be 'left alone'? I'm sure that all court rooms, (civil and criminal), all jails, and all groups of those who don't pay their rent, who drive over the speed limit, who fail to control their pets, who skateboard through shopping malls,who toss litter into the street, who fail to pay child support, and a dozen other groups, are made up almost entirely of people who, if given the choice, would like to be 'left alone'. Just what exactly are you suggesting here?

Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Change WHAT damn laws? We have laws against crossing our borders without proper permission...we have laws against overstaying a visa...we have laws against using fake ID....we have laws requiring employers to take reasonable precautions not to employ illegals, and we have laws against loitering and accosting people.

What damn laws, in particular, are you advocating we change? What people, exactly, do you feel should be 'left alone'? I'm sure that all court rooms, (civil and criminal), all jails, and all groups of those who don't pay their rent, who drive over the speed limit, who fail to control their pets, who skateboard through shopping malls,who toss litter into the street, who fail to pay child support, and a dozen other groups, are made up almost entirely of people who, if given the choice, would like to be 'left alone'. Just what exactly are you suggesting here?
For starters, we could increase the amount of worker visas and not exclude spouses. We could also increase the duration of said visas.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:56 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
No, since you can go as far back as mother's milk. There is no such thing as gateway anything.
Why of course not. Most teen carjackers, burglars, rapists, and murderers grow up to be our most productive and valued citizens. And, those released from jail rarely return.

Back on topic. Illegal alien day laborers deserve no concessions simply because they are involved in community service to improve their image.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
And this is why I can't take you seriously sometimes (not wanting to look at root causes, not wanting to gain a historical perspective). You can't simply not take things into consideration...Obviously the illegal immigrants themselves are a large variable.
You donít have to take me seriously. No, I donít buy the BS justifications for illegal immigration. Not now, not ever.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Why of course not. Most teen carjackers, burglars, rapists, and murderers grow up to be our most productive and valued citizens. And, those released from jail rarely return.

They all drank milk. Thus, milk causes people to become rapists and murders. The link to minor crimes to serious crimes is not a direct link. You stated that illegal immigrants are more likely to be serious (read violent) criminals since they broke the law once. Again, the trouble with such "gateway" theories is that you can go VERY far back. Thus, you have to take a more holistic approach. Those released from jail are more likely to have become more violent as a result of entering in the first place.

Back on topic. Illegal alien day laborers deserve no concessions simply because they are involved in community service to improve their image.

However, the infrastructure must be in place in order to aviod such concerns you and others have expressed, while benefiting both parties.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
You don’t have to take me seriously. No, I don’t buy the BS justifications for illegal immigration. Not now, not ever.
That's a relief. Okay, because for starters I feel that your emotionality and ommissions of information is a gross harbinger of things to come. I feel that you exemplify what is wrong with this debate. People who, themselves, stuck in a meaningless middle class existence only to try to find some value in a sea of suburban waste. They hold on to notions of patriotism and not understand the larger issues at hand. They, including yourself, rarely truly want to know the debate in its entirety. Thus, it's easier to parrot the lines fed to such people.

It's truly a sad state of affairs when you really think about it. Walmart patriots. This is a trend on the rise, which is not healthy for national discourse.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:14 PM

13,387 posts, read 16,200,288 times
Quote:
No, since you can go as far back as mother's milk.
Quote:
There is no such thing as gateway anything.
gateway crimes - Google Search

Old 02-04-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
That's a relief. Okay, because for starters I feel that your emotionality and ommissions of information is a gross harbinger of things to come. I feel that you exemplify what is wrong with this debate. People who, themselves, stuck in a meaningless middle class existence only to try to find some value in a sea of suburban waste. They hold on to notions of patriotism and not understand the larger issues at hand. They, including yourself, rarely truly want to know the debate in its entirety. Thus, it's easier to parrot the lines fed to such people.

It's truly a sad state of affairs when you really think about it. Walmart patriots. This is a trend on the rise, which is not healthy for national discourse.
Clearly, you have nothing to say, as evidenced by your compelling need to personalize this debate. Remember, attack the comments, not the poster. End of discussion.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration