U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 12:46 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Clearly, you have nothing to say, as evidenced by your compelling need to personalize this debate. Remember, attack the comments, not the poster. End of discussion.
That is how I handle some posters here as well (both pro and anti illegal immigration). If they have something worthwhile to say; I will reply, if not...........

Old 02-04-2010, 02:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,327 times
Quote:
Clearly, you have nothing to say, as evidenced by your compelling need to personalize this debate. Remember, attack the comments, not the poster. End of discussion.
Not personalizing the debate. Simply saying that the demographics of those in favor of your claims are typically (middle class, usually more conservative in values, and usually less educated...not dumb, just wanting to personalize the debate instead of taking a more academic approach). Not to mention they are more likely to have spending habits that are more mainstream (think Walmart, McDonald's, etc.)

You have stated your middle class existence. You have stated your lack of wanting an academic debate. Your views on housing arrangements imply more "mainstream" thought. Your jabs at political correctness imply being more conservative. Just saying you, fit a profile that is VERY typcial for those on your side of the debate. Nothing personal. If you took that as an insult, well, you can change.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That is how I handle some posters here as well (both pro and anti illegal immigration). If they have something worthwhile to say; I will reply, if not...........
You reply regardless with views that never make sense.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
You can Google how the Holocaust was fake... obviously that is false information.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Oh, like you said with citizens like ME, why have enemies. Do what you preach.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 PM

13,043 posts, read 21,154,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Nothing personal. If you took that as an insult, well, you can change.
That is beyond insolent. You verbally attack someone in this forum, and then claim that the person you just insulted should be the one to change.

"Nothing personal" after you slap someone in the face is the equivalent of prefacing a verbal smack-down with the words, "with all due respect".

How nice.

Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,112,510 times
Since they're so visibly out in public cleaning up then it shouldn't be too difficult for I.C.E. to find them right? How come nobody was around to "clean up" the illegals?

Old 02-04-2010, 04:22 PM

32,798 posts, read 30,025,534 times
I'll try to rehash what Macmeal posted a while back. Most of these people coming here illegaly didn't view their own Countries laws with much authority. They view the laws as simply a way to keep the haves having and the have nots without. I believe their views on our laws are the same, they won't stop doing anything until they are forced into not doing that behavior.

I didn't put it as well as Macmeal did but it made sense.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:38 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'll try to rehash what Macmeal posted a while back. Most of these people coming here illegaly didn't view their own Countries laws with much authority. They view the laws as simply a way to keep the haves having and the have nots without. I believe their views on our laws are the same, they won't stop doing anything until they are forced into not doing that behavior.

I didn't put it as well as Macmeal did but it made sense.
Pretty much a good summary of what I said. I've talked with NUMEROUS illegals (as well as legal immigrants from Mexico, etc) over the years....and that's pretty much the case. Where THEY come from, the laws AREN'T fair; no one is under the assumption that they are; therefore things can get pretty cynical. There's little repect for the law, because in most cases, the laws they live under aren't respectable. There's little respect for the police, because the police aren't there to 'serve'..they're there to keep the 'little people' in line.

Because 'the law' wasn't actually written 'by the people' in such lands, (but by some vague 'ruling class'), therefore the law has no 'moral dimension'...you obey it when you have to, and you ignore it when you can. 'The law' in Third World countries doesn't 'take care' of people..family, friends, and 'in-group' does. In some cases, the whole system is so corrupt that it's actually a badge of honor...or a point of pride..NOT to obey the law.

When people from such environments come here, and when their very COMING HERE is, from 'day one', a breach of OUR laws...and when there's no pressure on them to change, to learn our ways, or to assimilate here...then it should come as no surprise at all that people who've never in their lives lived under a 'respectable' law, nor experienced 'helpful' law enforcement, would have no reason to suddenly start respecting OUR laws. In fact, it would be quite amazing if they did. To these people, "the law" has always been a vague concept, put in place by 'those in charge' to control 'the poor', and administered by corrupt, brutal bullies with badges. That's their view of 'the law', and they have no reason to change it just for having crossed some theoretical "border"....(the border, in their eyes, being just one more obstacle, put in place by 'those in power' to restrict the movement of 'the poor').

I this view of 'the system' understandable? Of course it is, given a person's background. But is this view of 'the system' compatible with a long-lasting future in a free, open, and benevolent society? No. Should this view EVER become widespread in America, then America would soon (and inevitably) come to resemble those very Third World places in which 'this view' is the norm. Amazingly, we even have a few 'educated, privileged, affluent' Americans who share these views..although you'd think they'd know better.

Something to consider as we head full-speed ahead toward 'multiculturalism'. All of this is mostly a matter of culture. Should people coming here from abroad be required to understand our culture here? The way our system works, and why we do what we do? It would seem to me that this would make sense.

Last edited by macmeal; 02-04-2010 at 06:47 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 08:29 PM

That is beyond insolent. You verbally attack someone in this forum, and then claim that the person you just insulted should be the one to change.

I won't hate you (little play on your name). However, seeing how you don't know the context nor the history of this poster...it'd be best if you get off the proverbial high horse.

"Nothing personal" after you slap someone in the face is the equivalent of prefacing a verbal smack-down with the words, "with all due respect".

Again it isn't personal. To me, as to most of you, this poster is nothing more than mere 1s and 0s zipping around on the net. With that said, I feel that her lack of knowledge (at certain times) and extreme views should be pointed from time to time. Honestly, there is a mold for many people who are anti-illegal. Her posts are indicative of that. So from that perspective, as well, it is nothing personal.

How nice.

What's truly nice is a person just entering into a situation that is backing up another person that honestly believes that Hispanics have a tribal 3rd world mentality. A person who has remarked time and again those that want ANY sort of reform is essentially an enemy and against America. A person who has stated that we shouldn't take ALL things into consideration when looking at illegal immigration. Chinut, Benicar...among others take these stances. A stance that is unhealthy and is rooted in the blaise of middle class "ignorance". A stance that is both sheltered, yet feels under attack. There you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration