U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How do you want your food picked, by a sterile machine or by people who don't even have access to a toilet, soap and clean water?
again..,processing. picking is one aspect. Potatoes is one poduct.

if anyone thinks farmers dont need laborers is mistaken and has not spoken to a rancher/farmer lately.

like that one fellow said...he's not concerned. food prices will rise but lets not be concerned.

Guest worker program...wait till the guest workers say thanks but no thanks...no concern

higer prices dont worry the well to do.

because if there is a guest worker program, there are already advocates that are planning to fight that those guests get top dollar with benefits for their labor. No more 4.50 an hour...more like 12 dollars an hour plus benifits. but Im not concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 11:17 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post

if anyone thinks farmers dont need laborers is mistaken and has not spoken to a rancher/farmer lately.

like that one fellow said...he's not concerned. food prices will rise but lets not be concerned.

Guest worker program...wait till the guest workers say thanks but no thanks...no concern

because if there is a guest worker program, there are already advocates that are planning to fight that those guests get top dollar with benefits for their labor. No more 4.50 an hour...more lie 12 dollars an hour plus benifits. but Im not concerned.
At least those legal guest worker 12 dollar an hour fruit pickers would be paying taxes rather than being paid under the table or their earnings being so low that they have no income tax liability at all. The more one earns the more likely they are to buy things and pay sales tax also.

Right now, the so-called cheap illegal labor savings to us is being wiped out by their social costs to us.

Last edited by chicagonut; 02-01-2010 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:

because if there is a guest worker program, there are already advocates that are planning to fight that those guests get top dollar with benefits for their labor. No more 4.50 an hour...more like 12 dollars an hour plus benifits. but Im not concerned.
That is a bad thing how? If it means me (the consumer) paying a few more dollars for a bag of groceries...........so be it--------if it means paying people who are here legally.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Most LEGAL immigrants aren't unskilled labour, so I doubt they'll be picking your crops anytime soon. There are STANDARDS for legal immigrants that ILLEGAL aliens don't have to meet (like TB checks for example)
Guest workers can be unskilled labor. Oh, so you think it ok for illegals to work even though it means they don't have to meet certain disease checks? Anyone coming to our country to live or to work even on a temporary basis should have to pass health checks for the safety of our citizens. Don't you agree?

Old 02-01-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
At least those legal guest worker 12 dollar an hour fruit pickers would be paying taxes rather than being paid under the table or their earnings being so low that they have no income tax liability at all. The more one earns the more likely they are to buy things and pay sales tax also.

Right now, the so-called cheap illegal labor savings to us is being wiped out by their social costs to us.
Im not advocating illegal labor, im just pointing out that costs across the board will rise. A State can set any rules it likes for guest workers in their State.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Im not advocating illegal labor, im just pointing out that costs across the board will rise. A State can set any rules it likes for guest workers in their State.
Perhaps, perhaps not as the farmers can only get what the market will bear. For the most part right now they are only pocketing their profits from illegal labor and not passing the savings on to us anyway. I don't think our country should operate on corruptness to save a dime. Perhaps you feel otherwise.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Perhaps, perhaps not as the farmers can only get what the market will bear. For the most part right now they are only pocketing their profits from illegal labor and not passing the savings on to us anyway. I don't think our country should operate on corruptness to save a dime. Perhaps you feel otherwise.
I know a farmer in SouthTexas that is being swallowed up by big businesses moving in around her farm. she has to move her farm that she has lived on all her life. She told me she cant get anybody, legal or illegal to pick her all her crops. Family farmer are not shoving wads of money i their pockets...it a thin bottom line. I dont think she'll be farming many more years.That just means her crops of corn, cucumbers, squash, and bell peppers will have to come from further out. adding to cost and losing a part of Texas.

If a State Officails were smart, I think talks with businesses and industries to find out if american labor is enough, or is guest worker needed, then come up with a guest worker program, then institute E-verify.

If you need labor, and E-verify runs labor off. that will hurt companies-small and large.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
I know a farmer in SouthTexas that is being swallowed up by big businesses moving in around her farm. she has to move her farm that she has lived on all her life. She told me she cant get anybody, legal or illegal to pick her all her crops. Family farmer are not shoving wads of money i their pockets...it a thin bottom line. I dont think she'll be farming many more years.That just means her crops of corn, cucumbers, squash, and bell peppers will have to come from further out. adding to cost and losing a part of Texas.

If a State Officails were smart, I think talks with businesses and industries to find out if american labor is enough, or is guest worker needed, then come up with a guest worker program, then institute E-verify.

If you need labor, and E-verify runs labor off. that will hurt companies-small and large.
I reiterate...doing business by not following the law is not acceptable nor justifiable. Sorry you don't agree.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:14 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Guest workers can be unskilled labor. Oh, so you think it ok for illegals to work even though it means they don't have to meet certain disease checks? Anyone coming to our country to live or to work even on a temporary basis should have to pass health checks for the safety of our citizens. Don't you agree?
PLEASE show me where I said anything LIKE this? Did I not say that at the least legal immigrants have to have medical checks that ILLEGAL aliens don't.

Reading comprehension 101 seems to be a little lacking here. Either that or you quoted the wrong poster.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:19 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,946,003 times
Quote:
Because the bottom line (the one all the PRO illegals fail to mention) is that once workers are LEGAL (whether that's through amnesty or being a guest worker) their wages are suddenly REGULATED and not under the table less than minimum, which is why these pro illegals will ALWAYS want more and more and more illegals to take the places of those who become legal.

Are we supposed to keep that up until the USA is wall to wall people? Not the way I want to live thanks very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or