U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,166,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
PLEASE show me where I said anything LIKE this? Did I not say that at the least legal immigrants have to have medical checks that ILLEGAL aliens don't.

Reading comprehension 101 seems to be a little lacking here. Either that or you quoted the wrong poster.
This is what you said:

"Most LEGAL immigrants aren't unskilled labour, so I doubt they'll be picking your crops anytime soon. There are STANDARDS for legal immigrants that ILLEGAL aliens don't have to meet (like TB checks for example)"

You claimed that most legal immigrants who come here would not pick crops. In your very next sentence you bring up the lack of healthchecks by illegal aliens as if it were another bonus reason for farmers to hire them ( you know that pesky paperwork stuff again). I took that to mean that you were siding with the farmers who would hire them anyway. If I took it the wrong way, I apologize. But I still don't see why you went from talking about legal immigrants supposed refusal to pick crops to talking about illegal aliens not having to get healthchecks. If you want someone to comprend then please be a little clearer in your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 08:03 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,324,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
It creates enforcement by attrition," Jorgenson told the Senate State Affairs Committee. "When people know we have this kind of structure in place, they leave the state or they don't come."
Jorgenson's measure would require employers after Jan. 1, 2011, to confirm a worker's eligibility through the federal "E-Verify" system. Violators would face fines of up to $50 a day per worker, up to $50,000. His bill goes even further: Written driver's license tests would be given in English only -- no interpreters allowed.

rewarding good behavior and punishing bad behavior. what a novel concept in this country! THUMBS WAY UP!
Your right, A BIG THUMBS UP!

Old 02-02-2010, 12:49 PM

1,150 posts, read 992,467 times
<<Look for the cost of your fries at McDonalds going up.>>

Before the big influx of illegal aliens in the last 20-30 years, most farm work was done by citizens, and some legal immigrant workers. This country had a large middle class. People bought homes, cars, and major appliances. In most households it didn't take both parents working to support a family. Things were pretty good for most people. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of living was much lower compared to earnings, than it is now. The only thing I've seen with millions of illegal aliens pouring into this country is higher prices, and lower wages.

A good portion of our produce comes from SOB anyway, so how do illegal aliens working in this country help keep those prices down?

Even in this country, considering the jobs that illegal aliens frequently do, have you noticed the price of construction going down? How about a hotel room or a meal in a restaurant?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:05 AM

32,911 posts, read 30,162,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Look for the cost of your fries at McDonalds going up.>>

Before the big influx of illegal aliens in the last 20-30 years, most farm work was done by citizens, and some legal immigrant workers. This country had a large middle class. People bought homes, cars, and major appliances. In most households it didn't take both parents working to support a family. Things were pretty good for most people. Adjusting for inflation, the cost of living was much lower compared to earnings, than it is now. The only thing I've seen with millions of illegal aliens pouring into this country is higher prices, and lower wages.

A good portion of our produce comes from SOB anyway, so how do illegal aliens working in this country help keep those prices down?

Even in this country, considering the jobs that illegal aliens frequently do, have you noticed the price of construction going down? How about a hotel room or a meal in a restaurant?
I can guarantee that any "savings" goes into the pocket of the employer. The market sets the price for goods not a bunch of Illegal Aliens.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:32 AM

23,627 posts, read 31,265,068 times
Even legal immigration lowers wages. Just look at my industry, I.T., where wage increases have been flat or have, at best, not kept up with inflation. Why? We are importing about 100,000 immigrants every year to do jobs that Americans are fully capable of doing ourselves. Every year thousands of newly-minted computer science degree-holders are forced into other industries because companies would rather hire foreigners. It's disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or