U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 AM

787 posts, read 1,622,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I never said that particular article said that. What I said is most indicators are that most of the Hispanic growth is from illegal immigration (and their anchors I might add). Someone in here just posted the numbers of legal immigrants per year allowed from every Hispanic nation. The number of illegals coming through our southern border every year is triple or quadruple those numbers.

2) That article as I said didn't even distinguish between legal and illegal. Using the word ok on legal immigrants to me is the same thing as saying it is good. It isn't necessarily VERY postive as you are claiming. My background has nothing to do with it.

1) My ancestors came here when our population was quite small and there were a lot more resources available then. Times change. Get with the program. That is why we have quotas for legal immigration in today's world.

1) Uh..excuse me! No need to lecture me on getting with the program. My ancestors (primarily English, some Swedish) got here BEFORE the American Revolution. You have a right to your opinion and I've got a right to mine. I love getting lectured by Irish/Polish Americans on the evils of immigration and dwindling resources. It's great comedy.

2) Glad you finally admit you have NOT provided any data to back up your claims in the original post.

For the record, I do NOT support illegal immigration. That said, I also don't buy into your hysterical claims about Latinos (legal or illegal) ruining this country. It is as much B.S. as the NINA (No Irish Need Apply) campaigns and anti-catholic hysteria of the 2nd half of the 1800's.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:40 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
1) Uh..excuse me! No need to lecture me on getting with the program. My ancestors (primarily English, some Swedish) got here BEFORE the American Revolution. You have a right to your opinion and I've got a right to mine. I love getting lectured by Irish/Polish Americans on the evils of immigration and dwindling resources. It's great comedy.

2) Glad you finally admit you have NOT provided any data to back up your claims in the original post.

For the record, I do NOT support illegal immigration. That said, I also don't buy into your hysterical claims about Latinos (legal or illegal) ruining this country. It is as much B.S. as the NINA (No Irish Need Apply) campaigns and anti-catholic hysteria of the 2nd half of the 1800's.
There is nothing comedic about wanting to protect our environment and keeping our population growth manageable. I never said that legal immigration was evil either so don't twist my words. As I said, my background has nothing to do with the changing times and I pointed out why.

Repeating, someone in here already provided data on the numbers of legal Hispanics allowed in here each year. And I said that the number of illegal Hispanics who come here each year are at least triple that number. Those stats are readily available everywhere on the internet. That proves that their growth is mostly from the latter including their anchor babies.

Uncontrolled illegal immigration will ruin this country no matter what ethnic group they are from. I never said it would only be illegal Latinos that would ruin it. It is just that they are the largest group here illegally by far. Where did I say that the legal ones would ruin us? Twisting my words again?

What has the 1800's and the Irish have to do with illegal immigration today? Any objection to them back then or Catholicism had nothing to do with ILLEGAL immigration. The issue we are discussing here is illegal immigration not past legal immigration.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:44 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,296,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Take those numbers for legal immigration and quadruple them for the number of Hispanics coming here illegally every year and you will see where the real growth from Hispanics is from.
Let's not forget my hometown, Northern Virginia---El Salvadoran illegal aliens everywhere, on the streets, bringing down neighborhoods everywhere literally.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
Let's not forget my hometown, Northern Virginia---El Salvadoran illegal aliens everywhere, on the streets, bringing down neighborhoods everywhere literally.
I know what you mean. Several years ago I worked in Northern Virginia in the Sterling/Herndon area. I was recently in the area and decided to order Chinese food from a restaurant I used to frequent in Sterling. Talk about a transformation!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:07 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
its also hilarious how people assume that illegals didnt exist before. that all immigrants form the 1800's or early 1900's were here legally. hilarious.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
its also hilarious how people assume that illegals didnt exist before. that all immigrants form the 1800's or early 1900's were here legally. hilarious.
It is now 2010. What happened in the 1800ís or early 1900ís is in the past. We also had slavery in the 1800ís. Today, slavery in the U.S. is against the law. Times change.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:33 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
so all this "my ancestors came in bla bla bla" is irrelevant and should stay out of the conversation?
thanks for the clarification.
times change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It is now 2010. What happened in the 1800ís or early 1900ís is in the past. We also had slavery in the 1800ís. Today, slavery in the U.S. is against the law. Times change.

Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
so all this "my ancestors came in bla bla bla" is irrelevant and should stay out of the conversation?
thanks for the clarification.
times change.

That is NOT what I said, and you know it. It IS relevant that immigrants formerly arrived through the established procedures of a particular era. However, the notion that we should revert to past practices to justify illegal immigration today, ignores the fact that we now have immigration laws which dictate how foreigners may legally enter this country.

Yes, thankfully, times have changed.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:00 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
I think we are all quite aware that there were some illegal aliens that existed during that time period. Most of us are speaking of our own ancestors who did come legally. What is hilarious is basing the past on the present. I don't know how illegals were dealt with back then but today we enforce our immigration laws and deport illegal aliens (or at least our government is supposed to).

Old 07-07-2010, 09:53 PM

221 posts, read 317,174 times
[quote=chicagonut;12722417]Does anyone really believe that much of this is due to "legal" immigration by Hispanics? If so, I have a lake to sell you out in the Sahara Desert.

(CBS/AP) Hispanics accounted for half the 2.9 million U.S. population growth from 2003 to 2004 and now constitute one-seventh of all people in the United States.

A Census Bureau report issued Thursday said that trend probably will continue because of immigration and a Hispanic birth rate outstripping non-Hispanic blacks and whites.

The agency estimated there are 41.3 million Hispanics in the U.S. The bureau does not ask about legal status so its numbers are intended to include everyone.

The population growth for Asians ran a close second. Increases in both groups are due LARGELY TO IMMIGRATION, but also higher birth rates, said Lewis W. Goodman, an American University expert on U.S.-Latin American relations.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/09/national/main700582.shtml[/quote

I'm not really sure what this thread is about either, but I think the increase in the Hispanic population is GREAT!!! If I were religious, I'd even say I see the Hand of God is this racial mix, returning to people with more native blood. I'm not native American, I'm white, but whites almost wiped out the aboriginal peoples of the pre-American land, and now it is returning to a land of more people with native blood.

Actually, I am more in favor of people from the Americas migrating to the US than any other racial/national groups. Our political and economic policies in their countries have shaped their lives, often for the worse, and I don't blame those who come to El Norte for a better life.

I'll be moving to a community in NYS in about 9 months with a large Hispanic population. When I went there to visit, I was very impressed with the family values, the great treasure they believe children are and their generosity and friendliness. They don't have a lot of money, but they are very good people and want a good life for their children. In poorer areas there are some problems with drugs, but I don't think that has to do with the racial mix, but with the economic situation often. My little niece is learning Spanish and her best friend is Hispanic. I think that is very positive, esp. since her father is a racist (thnk God he can't see her since he is a dead-beat). I like the demographic shift, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or