U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:18 PM

684 posts, read 1,255,215 times

Advertisements

The U.S. is a Hispanic country.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:25 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
Since when? There are only 40 million Hispanics in this country and 240 million non-hispanics. Do the math.

Last edited by chicagonut; 07-08-2010 at 08:56 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 08:38 AM

[quote=starbugster;14944085]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Does anyone really believe that much of this is due to "legal" immigration by Hispanics? If so, I have a lake to sell you out in the Sahara Desert.

(CBS/AP) Hispanics accounted for half the 2.9 million U.S. population growth from 2003 to 2004 and now constitute one-seventh of all people in the United States.

A Census Bureau report issued Thursday said that trend probably will continue because of immigration and a Hispanic birth rate outstripping non-Hispanic blacks and whites.

The agency estimated there are 41.3 million Hispanics in the U.S. The bureau does not ask about legal status so its numbers are intended to include everyone.

The population growth for Asians ran a close second. Increases in both groups are due LARGELY TO IMMIGRATION, but also higher birth rates, said Lewis W. Goodman, an American University expert on U.S.-Latin American relations.

www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/06/09/national/main700582.shtml[/quote

I'm not really sure what this thread is about either, but I think the increase in the Hispanic population is GREAT!!! If I were religious, I'd even say I see the Hand of God is this racial mix, returning to people with more native blood. I'm not native American, I'm white, but whites almost wiped out the aboriginal peoples of the pre-American land, and now it is returning to a land of more people with native blood.

Actually, I am more in favor of people from the Americas migrating to the US than any other racial/national groups. Our political and economic policies in their countries have shaped their lives, often for the worse, and I don't blame those who come to El Norte for a better life.

I'll be moving to a community in NYS in about 9 months with a large Hispanic population. When I went there to visit, I was very impressed with the family values, the great treasure they believe children are and their generosity and friendliness. They don't have a lot of money, but they are very good people and want a good life for their children. In poorer areas there are some problems with drugs, but I don't think that has to do with the racial mix, but with the economic situation often. My little niece is learning Spanish and her best friend is Hispanic. I think that is very positive, esp. since her father is a racist (thnk God he can't see her since he is a dead-beat). I like the demographic shift, personally.
I already proved that the increase in the Hispanic growth is mostly due to illegal immigration and you think that is GREAT? Wow, that takes some explanation if you are a U.S. citizen. You're all about race, aren't you? What difference does it make what blood someone has as long they come here legally? It matters not who lived here long ago either.

No ethnic group holds the corner of the market on family values or any other positive qualities. That is just plain racist to make a blanket statement like that. There are good and bad in every ethnic group. If Hispanics are such great people then why do so many of them ignore our laws and even leave their children behind in Mexico to come here? Would you also like to see a demographic shift in Mexico by an illegal invasion of Chinese? Somehow I doubt it!

So treasuring children includes having many that you can't afford to feed without government assistance? Giving birth to many anchors so they can live off the public dole? Your idea of family values isn't the same as mine obviously.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:00 PM

787 posts, read 1,623,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

1) Repeating, someone in here already provided data on the numbers of legal Hispanics allowed in here each year. And I said that the number of illegal Hispanics who come here each year are at least triple that number. Those stats are readily available everywhere on the internet. That proves that their growth is mostly from the latter including their anchor babies.

2) What has the 1800's and the Irish have to do with illegal immigration today? Any objection to them back then or Catholicism had nothing to do with ILLEGAL immigration. The issue we are discussing here is illegal immigration not past legal immigration.
1) Again, your ORIGINAL POST is very misleading because you make a blanket statement about ILLEGAL immigrants DRIVING the growth in the HISPANIC population, without the modifying comment I bolded above.

Of course, as currently interpreted under the 14th Amendment, those babies are U.S. Citizens. You might not like that but that does not change the fact that those are LEGAL citizens under U.S. law.

In addition, I have linked a more recent and comprehensive study which shows that the GROWTH of the LATINO population in the U.S. is MOSTLY driven by NATURAL INCREASE, not immigration (legal or illegal).

The news article you linked only looked at ONE year over year increase (2003 to 2004). The link below studied the period from 2000 through 2005. The study was published in 2007 by two academics at Cornell and the Univ. of New Hampshire.

To quote from the study, "Between 2000 and 2005, MOST of the Hispanic population increase came from natural increase rather than immigration. Natural increase is now the engine of Hispanic population growth."

http://paa2008.princeton.edu/downloa...issionId=81148

2) My reference to the 1800's was NOT about the LEGAL status of those immigrants. It WAS about the negative reaction and feedback they got from native born Americans of that time. Clearly, SOME of the current public outcry about illegal immigration is based in a similar nativist tone as happened back then.

Please save the speeches that your only concern is the ILLEGAL status of these folks. That might be true for YOU...but there is no question SOME of the public outcry over this issue is driven by a similar xenophobic fear that surfaced circa the late 1800's.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:08 PM

1,273 posts, read 3,846,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post

America was a country built completely by European-Americans and African-Americans. They have a birth right to this country. Native-Americans were removed and placed on reservations and the Mexicans that were in Texas, California, and the State of Deseret were forced out by the military. The Founding Fathers never intended for Hispanics to come here and attempt a hostile takeover. This country should remain and hopefully will when we deport the illegal aliens a centre-right White majority country.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
1) Again, your ORIGINAL POST is very misleading because you make a blanket statement about ILLEGAL immigrants DRIVING the growth in the HISPANIC population, without the modifying comment I bolded above.

Of course, as currently interpreted under the 14th Amendment, those babies are U.S. Citizens. You might not like that but that does not change the fact that those are LEGAL citizens under U.S. law.

In addition, I have linked a more recent and comprehensive study which shows that the GROWTH of the LATINO population in the U.S. is MOSTLY driven by NATURAL INCREASE, not immigration (legal or illegal).

The news article you linked only looked at ONE year over year increase (2003 to 2004). The link below studied the period from 2000 through 2005. The study was published in 2007 by two academics at Cornell and the Univ. of New Hampshire.

To quote from the study, "Between 2000 and 2005, MOST of the Hispanic population increase came from natural increase rather than immigration. Natural increase is now the engine of Hispanic population growth."

2) My reference to the 1800's was NOT about the LEGAL status of those immigrants. It WAS about the negative reaction and feedback they got from native born Americans of that time. Clearly, SOME of the current public outcry about illegal immigration is based in a similar nativist tone as happened back then.

Please save the speeches that your only concern is the ILLEGAL status of these folks. That might be true for YOU...but there is no question SOME of the public outcry over this issue is driven by a similar xenophobic fear that surfaced circa the late 1800's.
I believe your study is flawed based on how many Hispanics are here illegally. There are only 40 million Hispanics in this country total, total including the illegal kind and their anchors. There really are at least 20 million illegals in this country not the 12 million figure that has been touted for years and most of them are Hispanics. Do the math.

It doesn't matter if some Americans are opposed to illegal immigration because they might dislike a certain group of them. The bottom line is that the majority aren't like that and it is really irrelevant anyway because this is about our immigration laws and that is all that counts regardless of personal feelings about a certain group. The immigrants back then weren't illegal so why you try to make this correlation is beyond me except to keep the race card alive in this issue. The issue is the law, period.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM

3,951 posts, read 3,583,774 times
I was just checking the last posts in this thread and it seems like you guys are talking about whether the Hispanic population here is fueled by illegal immigration or not or that the Hispanic growth isn't due to illegal immigration. I just wanted to say that it is impossible to try to say that the Hispanic growth isn't due to illegal immigration. Anyone who tries to say that it isn't is just ashamed to admit that or doesn't want to admit it.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post

LOL, that's the surreptitious reason so many are opposed to Hispanics: because they see the White population dwindling.
It's not just about white people, it's about everybody and everybody who feels the effects of illegal immigration across the country.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i love how people consider coming on a boat, as coming legally.
the system under which the italians and other europeans came thru is esentially an open border system. all you had to do was:
show up(as long as you werent chinese).
undergo a crusory physical check up.
be detained for 2 weeks max if you posed a health risk.
possibly change your name [giving up/hiding your past].
and walk about the US freely.
volia!

its the same old song.

lets be glad we dont have the same system as before. and by percentage we had way more immigrants then than we do now.
And illegal immigrants aren't doing that.

Old 07-08-2010, 06:55 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,298,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post

No it is because the the sneaky Hispanics come here and have too many babys and they are thus citizens and they do not parent these babys correctly and have them just to have them and get welfare and benefits in addition to creating a population overload inthis country and have this elitist entitlement attitude about being in this country because they bore children here. They are not citizens of our country. They produce innocent children and make them citizens because of our stupid laws and then exploit these laws. This is why Americans who are born and raised as I am in this country are sick and tired of putting up with this crap. I have experienced the outcome of this crap and I hear this complaint from Americans in my area everywhere everyday. These Hispanics have no desire to learn our culture or respect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or