U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:07 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times

Advertisements

We don’t know how many illegal aliens are living in this country, so we certainly don’t know how many are uninsured. However, we do know they are a factor in our astronomical healthcare costs. Illegal aliens should not even be a factor in our total number of uninsured, since they have no right to be here.

Again, most estimates agree around 8 to 12 million. We also know that this small population is NOT a large factor in healthcare costs (relative to the 309 million total population). At any given point in time, there are roughly 40 million Americans without insurance. There are illegal immigrants with health insurance. Thus the population of Americans without health insurance is WAY larger than the population of illegal immigrants without health insurance.

They should not be included in the UHC bill, and they should not receive any tax-funded treatment other than for bona fide life-threatening emergency care. Once they are stabilized, they should be deported.

Personally, I think that with us spending more per capita on healthcare than any other nation and getting nothing for it...I feel that we should provide a basic level of care to ALL persons living in our nation. It would be cheaper than waiting for a minor problem to turn into a larger problem (this really is what is driving emergency rooms to close its doors) and deportation is simply an emotional reaction that costs more.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:49 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Not too many due since we do know fairly certainly that less than 5% of the population (this comes from Pew Hispanic, CIS, the census, various univeristy studies) are illegal (the estimates range between 3% and 5% of the total population). Not to mention that some illegal immigrants have health insurance. In a nation with an uninsured population larger than its illegal immigrant population, it stands to reason that the true cost lies from uninsured Americans.
Even 4% of the people here are illegal aliens; that is still not acceptable---------they need to be thrown out of the USA (using force if they resist) and have all of their assets seized by LE.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Even 4% of the people here are illegal aliens; that is still not acceptable---------they need to be thrown out of the USA (using force if they resist) and have all of their assets seized by LE.
Umm...what? Here, I'll make it simple for you (since you clearly wouldn't understand)...that's dumb.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Again, most estimates agree around 8 to 12 million. We also know that this small population is NOT a large factor in healthcare costs (relative to the 309 million total population). At any given point in time, there are roughly 40 million Americans without insurance. There are illegal immigrants with health insurance. Thus the population of Americans without health insurance is WAY larger than the population of illegal immigrants without health insurance.

Personally, I think that with us spending more per capita on healthcare than any other nation and getting nothing for it...I feel that we should provide a basic level of care to ALL persons living in our nation. It would be cheaper than waiting for a minor problem to turn into a larger problem (this really is what is driving emergency rooms to close its doors) and deportation is simply an emotional reaction that costs more.
Again, estimates are “guesses” and often do not come close to reality. We don’t need to provide medical care for people who are in this country illegally. Let them return home for their insurance and healthcare needs.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Again, estimates are “guesses” and often do not come close to reality. We don’t need to provide medical care for people who are in this country illegally. Let them return home for their insurance and healthcare needs.
Estimates are not exactly guesses.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Estimates are not exactly guesses.
Synonyms for estimate

Synonyms (Grouped by Similarity of Meaning) of verb estimate

Sense 1:
estimate, gauge, approximate, guess, judge

calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure

Synonyms for estimate | Synonym.com

Old 02-04-2010, 12:29 PM

2,372 posts, read 4,327,831 times
I can't say I have a problem with Hispanics. They're driven, they work hard, they value education, family and the simple things in life.

Another reason the population is growing is because white Americans are having fewer and fewer kids. With a birth rate lower than the death rate, white populations in America are declining rapidly, while often times you'll see 3+ children in Hispanic and Asian families.

If you don't like it, go have lots of unprotected sex. That's all I've got to say.

Also, on the topic of the USA being welcoming... Here's the process to American citizenship which my own parents followed:
http://www.imagoetc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/small_us_citizen.jpg (broken link)

It only took 10 years.

Many nations will give you a work visa if you can speak the language and show skills that will make you an asset to the country.

One of my friends travels between Japan and the USA and has had legal residency there for 6 years, he's 18. It took about 6 months.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I can't say I have a problem with Hispanics. They're driven, they work hard, they value education, family and the simple things in life.

Another reason the population is growing is because white Americans are having fewer and fewer kids. With a birth rate lower than the death rate, white populations in America are declining rapidly, while often times you'll see 3+ children in Hispanic and Asian families.

If you don't like it, go have lots of unprotected sex. That's all I've got to say.
Thank you for your sage advice.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post

Also, on the topic of the USA being welcoming... Here's the process to American citizenship which my own parents followed:

It only took 10 years.

Many nations will give you a work visa if you can speak the language and show skills that will make you an asset to the country.

One of my friends travels between Japan and the USA and has had legal residency there for 6 years, he's 18. It took about 6 months.
Try again.

If illegal immigration were not an issue: the USA would be about at ZPG (2.1 children per woman).

Besides: since this nation is still a desirable destination; we can pick and choose whom we let in, if such a 'hardass' attitude enrages, say, Mexico-----------too bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Synonyms for estimate

Synonyms (Grouped by Similarity of Meaning) of verb estimate

Sense 1:
estimate, gauge, approximate, guess, judge

calculate, cipher, cypher, compute, work out, reckon, figure

Synonyms for estimate | Synonym.com
Wow, you've never taken a science course. An estimate is more based on existing bodies of knowledge, whereas a guess doesn't have to be. Calculate and cipher, according to you are synonyms of estimate. By transitive property, does that mean that they (calculate and cipher) are synonyms of guess?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or