U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2010, 02:43 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Reputation: 13043

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Wow, you've never taken a science course. An estimate is more based on existing bodies of knowledge, whereas a guess doesn't have to be. Calculate and cipher, according to you are synonyms of estimate. By transitive property, does that mean that they (calculate and cipher) are synonyms of guess?
Wow, you've never taken a writing course. Those are words correlating to two different meanings (and pronunciations) of the word 'estimate'.

The first one: es timate (estimit)
The second one: esti mate (estimate)

As in:

"Can you give me an estimate for repairing my car?"

"What do you estimate the cost will be?"

 
Old 02-04-2010, 04:55 PM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130
Originally Posted by UKUKUK
I can't say I have a problem with Hispanics. They're driven, they work hard, they value education, family and the simple things in life.

Another reason the population is growing is because white Americans are having fewer and fewer kids. With a birth rate lower than the death rate, white populations in America are declining rapidly, while often times you'll see 3+ children in Hispanic and Asian families.

If you don't like it, go have lots of unprotected sex. That's all I've got to say.


I don't have a problem with Hispanics either as long as they are here legally and respect our laws as citizens. Not everyone in every ethnic group is a hard worker either. That is ridiculous stereotyping. They value education? Then why is it that they have the highest dropout rates in school? They value family? Well sure some do but not those who leave their families in Mexico to come here illegally don't fit that bill. They come here because that is all they have is the simple life there but they want more than that so they come here illegally. So no, they want more than the "simple life".

Our population is growing mostly through illegal immgration. Who says we need added population growth anyway? Certainly not the experts who agree our country and the whole damned planet needs to crub their birthrates. Whites and other Americans are breeding at replacement levels and even it were less than that it would be more desirable than rampant population growth especially from parents who can't even afford the broods they are having.

No, we don't like it and the answer isn't for Americans to increase their birthrates just because you say so without even researching the impact it has on this already overpopulated country and planet already. The answer is to make sure that immigrants only come here legally in pre-determined numbers that keeps population growth in mind. Anything else is completely idiotic.
 
Old 02-04-2010, 05:25 PM
 
1,807 posts, read 2,791,627 times
Reputation: 1228
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post


Also, on the topic of the USA being welcoming... Here's the process to American citizenship which my own parents followed:


It only took 10 years.

Many nations will give you a work visa if you can speak the language and show skills that will make you an asset to the country.

One of my friends travels between Japan and the USA and has had legal residency there for 6 years, he's 18. It took about 6 months.
LOL nice.
And surprising @ your friend having legal residency in Japan, a country well known for its unfriendliness towards immigrants.
 
Old 02-04-2010, 05:52 PM
 
8,973 posts, read 14,617,384 times
Reputation: 2983
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post

I don't have a problem with Hispanics either as long as they are here legally and respect our laws as citizens. Not everyone in every ethnic group is a hard worker either. That is ridiculous stereotyping. is completely idiotic.[/i]
This has always annoyed me, too. Though I've posted endlessly about the fact that I've known illegals for many decades, have been married for 40 years to a person who might be mistaken for a Hispanic, and have never met a truly 'evil' illegal myself, the simple fact remains that the rate of stereotyping is breathtaking.

While all of us can discuss the 'bad and good' present in American society, it's usually the 'bad' we concentrate on....you know, the 'typical' American..the overweight, unmotivated couch potato...the guy too lazy to pick vegetables...the disrespectful kids, the unfaithful spouses, the shallow 'consumer' culture...the xenophobia, the racism, the 'hatred' of anyone different, and the narrow-minded smugness....suddenly, in the next paragraph, many of these SAME writers will, with an apparent straight face, write glowing recommendations of illegals, in which they're described as "honest, hard-working, family-oriented, proud, and dersirous of NOTHING...(nothing at ALL) except the chance to work hard and support their families".

Come on, children!...let's get real here, for just a moment. Let's remember that just because you're illegal, doesn't mean you're a 'saint'. Even illegals must have a FEW bad apples, somewhere....and I refuse to believe that they're ALL good, nor do I believe they want nothing else, but to work. That's absurd, it's an insult to my intelligence, and it's simply not the case.

Meanwhile, "good" or not, they're here illegally, and that's against the law. Is that 'significant'? I think so.

Last edited by macmeal; 02-04-2010 at 06:47 PM..
 
Old 02-04-2010, 09:05 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Reputation: 822
Wow, you've never taken a writing course. Those are words correlating to two different meanings (and pronunciations) of the word 'estimate'.

What? Do you know how to read? Keep up with the convo. We were talking, at least I was talking, about "estimate" the noun, not the verb. Hey, all I can do is use the information presented in front of me. I can only base my response to the quotation on said quotation.

The first one: es timate (estimit)
The second one: esti mate (estimate)

As in:

"Can you give me an estimate for repairing my car?"

"What do you estimate the cost will be?"

Again you are proving what I wrote. The word estimate in this context uses already proven information (the price is assumed to be previously set). Benicar's assertion was that the estimates were tantamount to random guesses.
 
Old 02-04-2010, 09:12 PM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Reputation: 822
I don't have a problem with Hispanics either as long as they are here legally and respect our laws as citizens. Not everyone in every ethnic group is a hard worker either. That is ridiculous stereotyping. They value education? Then why is it that they have the highest dropout rates in school? They value family? Well sure some do but not those who leave their families in Mexico to come here illegally don't fit that bill. They come here because that is all they have is the simple life there but they want more than that so they come here illegally. So no, they want more than the "simple life".

You've stated how much you dislike them speaking Spanish, how you don't like how Hispanics live in multi-generational houses, how you don't like their "tribal mentality"...doesn't sound like you actually like Hispanics.

Our population is growing mostly through illegal immgration. Who says we need added population growth anyway? Certainly not the experts who agree our country and the whole damned planet needs to crub their birthrates. Whites and other Americans are breeding at replacement levels and even it were less than that it would be more desirable than rampant population growth especially from parents who can't even afford the broods they are having.

You mean Malthus. He died before the modern age. Not to mention Malthusian theory is riddled with flaws. Many have pointed that out to you, yet you simply want to put your head in the sand. Whites are breeding BELOW replacement levels btw. Also, illegal immgiration isn't driving population growth (more legal immigrants than illegal immigrants).

No, we don't like it and the answer isn't for Americans to increase their birthrates just because you say so without even researching the impact it has on this already overpopulated country and planet already. The answer is to make sure that immigrants only come here legally in pre-determined numbers that keeps population growth in mind. Anything else is completely idiotic.

Again Malthus is dead. Your viewpoint doesn't take into consideration human ingenuity. Not to mention it assumes that resources are currently used efficiently. Also, your viewpoint assumes that the population wouldn't naturally stabilize. We don't even know if there is a carrying capacity of the earth if we efficiently use our resources. Neo-malthusian theorists don't clearly understand these variables.
 
Old 02-09-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: Nova, D.C.,
1,220 posts, read 3,298,513 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
This has always annoyed me, too. Though I've posted endlessly about the fact that I've known illegals for many decades, have been married for 40 years to a person who might be mistaken for a Hispanic, and have never met a truly 'evil' illegal myself, the simple fact remains that the rate of stereotyping is breathtaking.

While all of us can discuss the 'bad and good' present in American society, it's usually the 'bad' we concentrate on....you know, the 'typical' American..the overweight, unmotivated couch potato...the guy too lazy to pick vegetables...the disrespectful kids, the unfaithful spouses, the shallow 'consumer' culture...the xenophobia, the racism, the 'hatred' of anyone different, and the narrow-minded smugness....suddenly, in the next paragraph, many of these SAME writers will, with an apparent straight face, write glowing recommendations of illegals, in which they're described as "honest, hard-working, family-oriented, proud, and dersirous of NOTHING...(nothing at ALL) except the chance to work hard and support their families".

Come on, children!...let's get real here, for just a moment. Let's remember that just because you're illegal, doesn't mean you're a 'saint'. Even illegals must have a FEW bad apples, somewhere....and I refuse to believe that they're ALL good, nor do I believe they want nothing else, but to work. That's absurd, it's an insult to my intelligence, and it's simply not the case.

Meanwhile, "good" or not, they're here illegally, and that's against the law. Is that 'significant'? I think so.
A lot of the stereotyping is actually reality. I know because I am living it. The illegals are loud, dirty and disrespectful where I live. I was assaulted by one and have had to deal with all kinds of BS from them. From what I see, they have no interest in education here or bettering themselves, not even to learn English. Most of them are working the system and making their money at jobs that pay under the table, in addition to having baby after baby to gain even more services. It is just a fact. Look at all the states and it is getting worse. I have to deal with these people everyday. I have had it with their disrespect, loud music, and crude harassment period.
 
Old 02-10-2010, 04:55 AM
 
257 posts, read 302,684 times
Reputation: 114
I don't think anyone literally has a problem with Hispanics, as long as they stay a minority and are here legally, while working and living.

But to invade the country illegally and start to outnumber whites and Americans? That's ridiculous.
 
Old 02-10-2010, 08:38 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
I don't think anyone literally has a problem with Hispanics, as long as they stay a minority and are here legally, while working and living.

But to invade the country illegally and start to outnumber whites and Americans? That's ridiculous.
So you have a problem if legal hispanics were to be a majority in this country?
 
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
So you have a problem if legal hispanics were to be a majority in this country?
Let me put it this way: any group of people who have a tribal ethnocentric mentality are not wanted in the USA-------Hispanic or not. Note that not all Latinos cling to their ancestral culture----------quite a few are indeed true blue Americans.

Side note: Latinos will never be a majority in the USA; between their plummeting birthrates and growing efforts to deport the illegal ones.

And the odds are growing that the 'Hispanic' label will be retired since it is fast becoming derogatory--------much like the N word for Blacks. Besides: quite a few Latinos are actually 'White' (or Black).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top