U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:19 PM

706 posts, read 801,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Well I haven't met anybody that refuses to learn English. Some can't due to their age and others are still in the process of learning. Miami has a large of foreign born citizens but many are fluent in English.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't citizenship require a basic working knowledge of, and the ability to speak English ?

BL

Old 02-02-2010, 03:30 PM

1,150 posts, read 998,913 times
<<Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't citizenship require a basic working knowledge of, and the ability to speak English ?>>

It's supposed to. That's why I could never figure out why voting materials need to be printed in different languages.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:48 PM

706 posts, read 801,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
<<Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't citizenship require a basic working knowledge of, and the ability to speak English ?>>

It's supposed to. That's why I could never figure out why voting materials need to be printed in different languages.
Language
Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 15 years and are over 55 years of age;
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 20 years and are over 50 years of age; or
  • have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.
Requirements for US Citizenship (http://www.us-immigration-attorney.com/citizenship.htm - broken link)

But to be honest, some of the wording on the ballots leaves me a bit perplexed at times....even in English..after all,they are written by lawyers....

BL

Old 02-02-2010, 04:07 PM

13,126 posts, read 21,352,819 times
Quote:
This doesn't happen in Miami anymore. Even Anglo kids and Haitians speak Spanish.
What pray tell, are "Anglo kids"?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:09 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,702,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
Language
Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 15 years and are over 55 years of age;
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for at least 20 years and are over 50 years of age; or
  • have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.
Requirements for US Citizenship (http://www.us-immigration-attorney.com/citizenship.htm - broken link)

But to be honest, some of the wording on the ballots leaves me a bit perplexed at times....even in English..after all,they are written by lawyers....

BL
It CAN get a bit ironic, I agree. While I have nothing against people speaking the language of their choice, it's true that American 'citizenship' (i.e., naturalization) does call for a certain familiarity with English.

But I suppose that's not too surprising...after all, the 'Oath of Citizenship' also involves quite a long statement in which one vows 'loyalty to the US', and promises to 'renounce and disavow all former loyalties to any foreign power, leader, government, etc'...(or words to that effect)...yet we now offer the option of Dual Citizenship. If you can explain how one can swear loyalty to the US, but at the same time remain loyal to another country as well, I'd like to hear how that works....is it like taking the marriage vow, yet remaining loyal to your former girlfriend? I just don't get it...NOR do I 'get' how you must be familiar with English, but still 'need' official documents printed at government expense, in OTHER languages.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:11 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,702,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
They're the offspring of Anglo adults, I would imagine. Sometimes they're called "regular" kids...or just "non-ethnics".....

Old 02-02-2010, 04:21 PM

13,126 posts, read 21,352,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
They're the offspring of Anglo adults, I would imagine. Sometimes they're called "regular" kids...or just "non-ethnics".....
Would that be all the people left over when you group together all the "people of color"? i.e., those "colorless" folks? If the term Anglo is being used to describe them, then what of the majority of them who actually aren't even remotely "Anglo"? When did this terminology become acceptable to lump all caucasians with those who originate from England? It is not only inaccurate, it is ignorant and offensive.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:25 PM

2,930 posts, read 6,068,315 times
Quote:
Sorry I can't call them "white" as many hispanics are classified as such. White nonhispanics it's too long and confusing, and I'm sure 100% of the people here know what I mean when I say "anglo". If you don't like the word choice, then don't read my posts, put me in your ignore list, but this is the time I'm addressing this.

These nonsense arguments about what word to use or not to use are not my cup of tea, so find another poster to argue about this.

Quote:
When did this terminology become acceptable to lump all caucasians with those who originate from England? It is not only inaccurate, it is ignorant and offensive.
Well whatever, like I said put me in your ignore list.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,451,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
This is the first time I saw a positive to illegal immigration. Now that they have had a taste of the US pie, they want it for their own country. Let them march, wave their flags, demand rights and social services there, just don't do it here.

I agree with you, but guess what, they have done it here.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:30 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,247,324 times
Quote:
Well I haven't met anybody that refuses to learn English. Some can't due to their age and others are still in the process of learning. Miami has a large of foreign born citizens but many are fluent in English.
But what is the difference if they have turned Miami into a Spanish speaking city so that an English speaker can't even get a job in that city? If they are so fluent in English or not refusing to speak it, then how did that come about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or