Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
When it creates job discrimination just because they want to feel all warm and fuzzy speaking their native tongue, then I have a problem with that. Job discrimination against mono-lingual English speakers is rampant in Miami.
Well for low paying jobs they really hire anybody that applies there, unless it's in the middle of a low income hispanic neighborhood, but only hispanics live there, so I don't think a nonhispanic would apply there in the first place.

However I have seen changes in some large companies where more non Spanish speakers are being hired. So maybe some employers were afraid of lawsuits. I think it's only fair to have both because the people that get affected the most are African Americans and haitians.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Well in that case, I'm glad you agree.

Here is some helpful reading so you can further yourself in cultural sensitivity should you so choose:

Definition of Anglo Americans | eHow.com

"Many people are upset by this terminology and find it offensive, while others find it just plain incorrect. Here's a look at what the word "Anglo" really means and why some people dislike its common use."

I'm glad CD is bringing people together and ironing out the rough spots.
Well I usually use white nonhispanic but I wish I could use something shorter but I heard complaints about Caucasian too. I'm not gonna use white only, sorry, not happening. I already heard enough of those white hispanics in the Miami forum.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM

77 posts, read 102,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
As the chickens come home to roost.

It would appear that,due to the economic downturn here in the U.S. , that many are returning to mexico and bringing with them some of the same problems that we face here in Our country. Maybe this "poetic justice" will force mexico to deal with its problems rather than passing them on to the U.S. taxpayer.....

One can only hope
BL

"They come back with more expectations than they left with. They want better public services – roads, schools, sewer systems – and, more important, jobs. Some complain about the lack of drinking water. Their children often speak only English or broken Spanish"

"We don't have enough room in our schools, much less bilingual teachers, as some students arrive speaking English, and they can't fit in," she said"

SNIP

Migrants struggling for work in Texas return to Mexico as a burden | News for Dallas, Texas | Dallas Morning News | Headline | International News
Poor children hope they can learn Spanish soon

Old 02-02-2010, 05:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Maybe Mexico will finish the border fence.
Keep me posted....

(If Mexico DOES decide to fence out those arriving from the north, will those who sneak across anyway be referred to as 'secos'? Or would that term be considered inappropriate?)

Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Well I usually use white nonhispanic but I wish I could use something shorter but I heard complaints about Caucasian too. I'm not gonna use white only, sorry, not happening. I already heard enough of those white hispanics in the Miami forum.
Wow, complaints in the Miami forum AND HERE. Sorry about that. It's starting to look like we Americans can't escape this mess no matter what.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Keep me posted....

(If Mexico DOES decide to fence out those arriving from the north, will those who sneak across anyway be referred to as 'secos'? Or would that term be considered inappropriate?)
Seco? Are you sure you do not mean the second time crossing the border----------back home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration