Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
They're not coming just for a Christmas visit or town celebration, but with every intention of staying permanently. And that has the town in a bind.
Perhaps now they understand some of our problems. These are THEIR citizens. It’s alright for them to visit, but eventually they want them to leave. Yet, we are racists and xenophobes because we also want them to leave.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:34 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Perhaps now they understand some of our problems. These are THEIR citizens. It’s alright for them to visit, but eventually they want them to leave. Yet, we are racists and xenophobes because we also want them to leave.
Maybe Mexico will finish the border fence.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
Maybe Mexico will finish the border fence.
You have a point. Now that THEY are being “invaded” perhaps they will be more inclined to build the fence to keep their citizens OUT.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:41 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
But what is the difference if they have turned Miami into a Spanish speaking city so that an English speaker can't even get a job in that city? If they are so fluent in English or not refusing to speak it, then how did that come about?
It depends on the job. Customer service and sales jobs sometimes do prefer being bilingual due to our high foreign born population in some locations. Many jobs do not require to be bilingual. We are still 20% African American and 10% white nonhispanic and many of them work even in customer service or sales jobs. It is an advantage but they still get jobs, when they don't understand their customers they call someone who is bilingual. What is true though is that is is extremely difficult to get a job if you don't speak English, especially a good one.

About the second part of your question, most of the time people prefer to speak their mother tongue, even if they are fluent in English. For me it doesn't make a difference during a customer service transaction, but if I'm talking to friends who also speak English as a second language, it is easier for me to have that conversation in Spanish. Everybody has a different comfort level when they speak English as a second language.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:42 PM

706 posts, read 939,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

Their understanding will only increase, very painfully, as the decrease in the money sent home from the U.S. continues to decline, even as the demands on the town increase.

I suppose the pressure from Calderon to Obama, concerning Amnesty or most certainly some form of aid to Mexico will increase....

interesting......

Old 02-02-2010, 03:51 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Sorry I can't call them "white" as many hispanics are classified as such. White nonhispanics it's too long and confusing, and I'm sure 100% of the people here know what I mean when I say "anglo". If you don't like the word choice, then don't read my posts, put me in your ignore list, but this is the time I'm addressing this.

These nonsense arguments about what word to use or not to use are not my cup of tea, so find another poster to argue about this.

Well whatever, like I said put me in your ignore list.
Struck a nerve there, Princess?

I can read what I please - you really should think about why this has you so up in arms, darling. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Making excuses for use of ignorant terminology isn't a "well whatever" issue. This is no different than when someone refers to all hispanics as "those Messicans".

Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
What pray tell, are "Anglo kids"?
Here in Arizona: any non Hispanic White person is an Anglo. I certainly am counted as one and identify as such despite my 1/2 Hungarian lineage.

Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Quote:
It depends on the job. Customer service and sales jobs sometimes do prefer being bilingual due to our high foreign born population in some locations. Many jobs do not require to be bilingual. We are still 20% African American and 10% white nonhispanic and many of them work even in customer service or sales jobs. It is an advantage but they still get jobs, when they don't understand their customers they call someone who is bilingual. What is true though is that is is extremely difficult to get a job if you don't speak English, especially a good one.

About the second part of your question, most of the time people prefer to speak their mother tongue, even if they are fluent in English. For me it doesn't make a difference during a customer service transaction, but if I'm talking to friends who also speak English as a second language, it is easier for me to have that conversation in Spanish. Everybody has a different comfort level when they speak English as a second language.
When it creates job discrimination just because they want to feel all warm and fuzzy speaking their native tongue, then I have a problem with that. Job discrimination against mono-lingual English speakers is rampant in Miami.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,058,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Struck a nerve there, Princess?

I can read what I please - you really should think about why this has you so up in arms, darling. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Making excuses for use of ignorant terminology isn't a "well whatever" issue. This is no different than when someone refers to all hispanics as "those Messicans".
You can call me Mexican, Cuban, Nicaraguan, Your choice, if you want to add a litol ispanic asent, fine too, but I don't think the mods will be too happy with that.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:13 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
You can call me Mexican, Cuban, Nicaraguan, Your choice, if you want to add a litol ispanic asent, fine too, but I don't think the mods will be too happy with that.
Well in that case, I'm glad you agree.

Here is some helpful reading so you can further yourself in cultural sensitivity should you so choose:

Definition of Anglo Americans | eHow.com

"Many people are upset by this terminology and find it offensive, while others find it just plain incorrect. Here's a look at what the word "Anglo" really means and why some people dislike its common use."

I'm glad CD is bringing people together and ironing out the rough spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration