Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM

276 posts, read 747,370 times

Advertisements

As I browse through the immigration forum I am reading a lot. Mostly about Hispanics...the communities that house them and lots of details about how they manage to stay receiving everything from Medical attention to food and income, the odd referrence has been made about white illegals Canadians or Brits etc. What do these people do to stay and assimilate? Where do they live, how do they get jobs etc. I ask because it appears that the white community would not tolerate helping them in any way? I'm sure there is not much of that type of illegal immigration yet it has been mention so it must still be happening to some degree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 08:41 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
I've known several Canadians and a couple of Brits who were living in the US illegally. Since there's no real cultural or language difference, no one really asked many questions. However, since they needed to work under the table, most of them didn't stick around for all that long, as far as I know. They were mostly people who came over on student visas that expired. One was the spouse of someone who was hired by a US company, and, while I don't know the details, I know she needed to work under-the-table until her paperwork was approved. Several others were actors and comedians. (And this was all in Chicago, by the way.)

Old 01-24-2010, 08:47 AM

77 posts, read 102,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
As I browse through the immigration forum I am reading a lot. Mostly about Hispanics...the communities that house them and lots of details about how they manage to stay receiving everything from Medical attention to food and income, the odd referrence has been made about white illegals Canadians or Brits etc. What do these people do to stay and assimilate? Where do they live, how do they get jobs etc. I ask because it appears that the white community would not tolerate helping them in any way? I'm sure there is not much of that type of illegal immigration yet it has been mention so it must still be happening to some degree?
They usually live in large urban cities(because it's similar to their countries) cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami. Many live in condos(because again that's what they are used to). They work some of the same jobs Mexican do such as waiters, chefs, in retail stores. Usually small businesses, not in large factories or farms. They are not used to jobs with large physical demand so it's mainly jobs in the service sector.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:48 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
Suffice to say: if here illegally; I will not aid or abet said individuals-------even if they were White (Hispanic or not).

Old 01-24-2010, 02:18 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latino & Proud View Post
They usually live in large urban cities(because it's similar to their countries) cities like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami. Many live in condos(because again that's what they are used to). They work some of the same jobs Mexican do such as waiters, chefs, in retail stores. Usually small businesses, not in large factories or farms. They are not used to jobs with large physical demand so it's mainly jobs in the service sector.
Another blatent racist post.
Whites are not used to jobs with large physical demands....
No whites work in the construction industry? Or is construction another push button job?
No whites work in the landscapeing industry? Or do we use robots for all the work?
No whites work in factories?
No whites work in meat packing?
No whites are farmers?
This white grew up on a dairy farm. Yes thats a farm that works 365 days a year and 12 hours is a short work day.
This white did Drywall for a living. No we were piece rate so we didn't use machines to lift the sheetrock into place.
This white butchers his own meat.
This white currently works in one of, if not the largest paper mills in the country. So much for whites are not used to physical demands.
Guess what the majority of folks in the factory I work in are in fact white.
A good many of them have a very simular background.
3200 people work in our factory and not 1 of them is an illegal. How do I know? All applicants must provide a H.S Diploma, SSN card is photo copied, An original Birth certificate. Copies not accepted. In other words it must be an issued B.C from the state you were born in.
So much for all big corporations hire illegals.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM

77 posts, read 102,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No whites work in the construction industry? Or is construction another push button job?
No whites work in the landscapeing industry? Or do we use robots for all the work?
No whites are farmers?
This white grew up on a dairy farm. Yes thats a farm that works 365 days a year and 12 hours is a short work day.
This white did Drywall for a living. No we were piece rate so we didn't use machines to lift the sheetrock into place.
This white currently works in one of, if not the largest paper mills in the country.
You did not understand the original question. The question was about illegal Canadians and Europeans. I never mentioned skin color and this people I'm referring to, are as illegal as any white or brown Mexican

Old 01-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You did not understand the original question. The question was about illegal Canadians and Europeans. I never mentioned skin color and this people I'm referring to, are as illegal as any white or brown Mexican
Sure if you say so.
Ok so Americans are lazy, Canadians are lazy and so are Europeans. Ok got it.
Because there are no Canadian Dairy farmers, No Canadian construction workers. And of course Europe suffers from the same problems.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:05 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
A LOT in suburbs as well. I knew a few in suburban Orange and Riverside County (California).

Old 01-24-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
A LOT in suburbs as well. I knew a few in suburban Orange and Riverside County (California).
So do you agree with Latin and prouds post? Read the part in bold letters. They as in all?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:16 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times

Actually, it really wasn't.

North Americans and European are more likely in service sector jobs (white collar). The service sector is the largest source of employment is developed nations.

Yes, obviously there are Whites in construction. But, the majority of people (the vast majority) don't do labor intensive jobs. Regardless of race...However, minorities are more represented in manual labor (sometimes even over-represented).

No whites are farmers?

Most people live in suburban communities in the United States.

This white currently works in one of, if not the largest paper mills in the country. So much for whites are not used to physical demands.
Guess what the majority of folks in the factory I work in are in fact white.
A good many of them have a very simular background.
3200 people work in our factory and not 1 of them is an illegal. How do I know? All applicants must provide a H.S Diploma, SSN card is photo copied, An original Birth certificate. Copies not accepted. In other words it must be an issued B.C from the state you were born in.
So much for all big corporations hire illegals.

It's pretty hard to determine if all 3,200 people are legal. Regardless though, I think that LP was simply stating that in the developed world most people don't work in manufacturing, agriculture, or construction. Most work in service related industries. In fact, manufacturing as a percent of our economy has steadily decreased. It's not just a "White" thing or minority thing. I'm half White and grew up in a what was a small suburban/rural community and always had "white collar" jobs (working with kids IS labor intensive though IMHO). Most Hispanics, Whites, Blacks, Asians, etc. I know all have service level jobs. It's really the biggest part of the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration