U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 PM

25 posts, read 20,563 times

Advertisements

Since there are many illegal immigrants coming from mexico and lesser extent canada, should America just absorb these 2 countries as the 52nd and 53rd states?

It would make a whole lot of things easier, we would have all of canada's water and oil. Then we can take care of all the problem mexico is giving us cause they are under our jurisdicition.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:50 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,150,384 times
I would imagine Mexico and Canada would have something to say about this. We can't go around the world just doing anything we please.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:57 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtar View Post
Since there are many illegal immigrants coming from mexico and lesser extent canada, should America just absorb these 2 countries as the 52nd and 53rd states?

It would make a whole lot of things easier, we would have all of canada's water and oil. Then we can take care of all the problem mexico is giving us cause they are under our jurisdicition.
No thanks, and what makes you think that Canada and Mexico would agree to this anyway?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 PM

Who cares if they agree, we are america, we are a nation who was formed by buying half our states in the louisana purchase and taking over the other half by bombing mexico.

Plus, isn't it clear that most mexicans would rather be under the american flag, or else why else would 1/5 their population come here?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:46 PM

8,973 posts, read 14,624,231 times
Quote:

America "absorbed" a part of Mexico 150 years ago, and the furor over that little 'stunt' still hasn't died down.

"Absorb" another country? No thanks....nice gesture, but I'm afraid it wouldn't work.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:48 PM

32,823 posts, read 30,091,418 times
Quote:
Who cares if they agree, we are america, we are a nation who was formed by buying half our states in the louisana purchase and taking over the other half by bombing mexico.

Plus, isn't it clear that most mexicans would rather be under the american flag, or else why else would 1/5 their population come here?
Pterodactyls? Did we have bombs then?
I

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 02-05-2010 at 07:09 PM.. Reason: too silly but funny

Old 02-05-2010, 07:02 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,646,709 times
Quote:

Bombing Mexico? When did we have bomber airplanes or even balloons in 1848?

All kidding aside: unless Mexico gets its act together; we (the USA) will wind up with the northern tier of Mx states----------and those Mexicans' (who live there) request.

As for Canada: the linchpin is Quebec; if its does break away from Canada (not likely), I can all but guarantee that the Maritime Provinces would petition to join the Union since they already have a lot in common with New England.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 PM

If I am not mistaken america did have bombs back in the 1800s. In fact if I am not mistake pirates in the 14-1600s had bombs aka canons. I never said anything about airplanes and bombs. Bombs do not necessarily have to come from airplanes. My understanding of a bomb is any device which uses some kind of checmical reaction to rapidly expand and release energy with the intent to cause damage.

When they use to use canons to shoot bombs to blow up boats and cities, yeah, I would say that counts as a bomb, but I am no bomb expert.

Actually the first airdropped bomb was used in austria in 1849.

Actually quebec wanted canada to be like america where all the states could make their own laws, but canada is a federalist system and most laws are made by the feds their not prov. legislature historically anyways.

Looking back on history, I don't remember america really caring what others thought of us taking more land. Too bad for mexico or canada, what is the world going to do if we invade them, nothing!

Old 02-05-2010, 07:31 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,158,884 times
Quote:

If someone wants to sell that is their business. When did we bomb Mexico? Parts of the southwest were bought and paid for by the U.S. government with the Treaty of Guadalupe Hildalgo and that agreement was also signed by the Mexican government.

No, most Mexicans would rather not be loyal to the American flag. Their loyalty is to Mexico. Mexico has a different culture and language then we do and it would be nothing but cultural clash with your scenario. We already have some of that going on now with those of that ancestry already living in our country.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:54 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,398,817 times
Quote:

Why would the US even remotely entertain the idea of "absorbing" the 3rd world country of Mexico?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration