U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:43 PM

73 posts, read 185,779 times

Advertisements

I was just reviewing some of the recent events regarding the demonstrations, and rallies. Does the law provide people in this country illegaly with the right to demonstrate?

If not, should they not be arrested for gathering without the right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 09:44 PM

508 posts, read 1,521,511 times
No, I dont believe they do. I could be wrong though - it has been known to happen on rare occasions

Old 05-28-2007, 09:52 PM

911 posts, read 3,198,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
I was just reviewing some of the recent events regarding the demonstrations, and rallies. Does the law provide people in this country illegaly with the right to demonstrate?

I don't think there is any case law, YET, on this topic...

It is very unusual for a Group of Criminals, Here Illegally, to;

"Gather together LAWFULLY"...

I'm lol so hard I'm falling off my chair...

Old 05-28-2007, 11:23 PM

2,432 posts, read 6,003,968 times
Unfortunately they do have rights according to SCOTUS. I was watching a cable news show the other day and out of 90 some federal welfare type programs they qualify for 10. They also have the right to due process under the law as criminal defendants, and can file lawsuits in civil courts. Plus illegal alien children have almost all the rights legal citizen children have, including the right to health care, free education, and protection from discrimination as well as civil rights protections. And that is just from the feds. Individual states also grant protections and rights that vary from state to state.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:26 PM

985 posts, read 2,504,597 times
I don't think they have a legal right, but it comes down to practical application so they usually get away with it.

Since "looking Mexican" doesn't always equal "illegal immigrant", the local police don't really know (although they may suspect) who is an illegal at a rally (and there really isn't much legal weight to "participating in a protest chant"). The extra time needed to detain people, check documents, etc isn't feasible on such a large scale.

We are all used to protesters getting arrested en mass, but that is usually because the police say "disperse" and they don't (PS they also drop the charges the next day in virtually every case). "Ordered to disperse and didn't" is far easier to prove than immigration status.

I think the "throwing it in your face" aspect of rallies is what gets people the most upset, and undermines whatever sympathy had previously been built up.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:29 PM

911 posts, read 3,198,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Unfortunately they do have rights according to SCOTUS. I was watching a cable news show the other day and out of 90 some federal welfare type programs they qualify for 10. They also have the right to due process under the law as criminal defendants, and can file lawsuits in civil courts. Plus illegal alien children have almost all the rights legal citizen children have, including the right to health care, free education, and protection from discrimination as well as civil rights protections. And that is just from the feds. Individual states also grant protections and rights that vary from state to state.
Well, That is complete BS...
So SCOTUS said that "Illegal Criminal Aliens Have Rights";
The only "Right" they should have is to be "Dispensed" on the way in...

Old 05-29-2007, 08:59 AM

592 posts, read 2,531,730 times
Quote:

They certainly have the right to return to their country of origin , unfortunately that will rarely happen . If one is here illegally, I fail to see how they can do anything legally while their mere presence is an illegal act. Sadly, an illegal is still protected by the Constitution even though their physical presence in the USA is an illegal act itself. Rather depressing, isn't it?

Old 05-29-2007, 09:13 AM

4,800 posts, read 7,687,743 times
Quote:

They have human rights. They have civil rights...in their country of origin, not here.

They should go home and take advantage of their civil rights.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:50 AM

6,739 posts, read 8,540,895 times
It seems like they have more rights then the Citizens of this country.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 AM

390 posts, read 1,346,318 times
Quote:

Yes....they seem to have more rights than U.S. citizens. If they would have been U.S. citizens having the mass protests, the men in the black uniforms and shiny shields would have been down on them in a nano-second. The rubber bullets and tear gas would fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or