U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 PM
 
346 posts, read 616,298 times
Reputation: 273

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I want to point out that because these immigrants are here illegally, that they are actually more likely not to commit any sort of crime because they don't want to get caught. They are cautious. So to say that there would be a significant drop in crime, especially violent crime, is ludicrous.
Depends on the illegal actually. If they are here to raise a family, then yes they would stay under the radar for the sake of their family. There are, however, drug traffickers who bring in marijuana, cocaine, and black tar heroin into this country. Drug dealing in and of itself is not a violent crime, but it is still a crime.

As for the violent crimes that happen because of drugs, we'd have to look up the facts for how deaths in America happen as a result of the Mexican drug wars.

 
Old 02-18-2010, 11:26 PM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I want to point out that because these immigrants are here illegally, that they are actually more likely not to commit any sort of crime because they don't want to get caught. They are cautious. So to say that there would be a significant drop in crime, especially violent crime, is ludicrous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
If that was the case, we wouldn't be hearing anything about all those illegals who DO commit crimes.

Come to think of it, simply by being here illegally they are COMMITTING A CRIME. They begin committing crimes the second they cross that border. EVERYTHING THEY DO IS A CRIME IN THIS COUNTRY.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Let's start from the top:

Because they are illegal immigrants, they will be scrutinized, it's the opposite of what you said.

And you are playing semantics. You know the point I was getting at and and you are distorting it.

CAPS LOCKS IS NOT CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL, GIVE IT A BREAK.
IF the illegals are being so cautious then why does it seem like every news story from large cities involves illegals? IF they were cautious we would NOT hear about their crimes, but we ARE. This is what NoExcuses was saying. I got it.
Just the fact that one is illegal is not the crime we are talking about; above and beyond illegal entry they commit so many other crimes - on a daily basis.
Caps are used to make a point - LOUD and CLEAR. GOT IT?
 
Old 02-18-2010, 11:34 PM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,415,357 times
Reputation: 47455
that is a heck of an IF statement. you can make a months mexican wages in 10 days here.
 
Old 02-18-2010, 11:35 PM
 
346 posts, read 616,298 times
Reputation: 273
Also, correct me if I'm wrong because I will be oversimplifying and probably will be erroneous somewhere:
But violent crime rates are calculated by "violent crimes per 100,000", which basically takes into account the population, yes?

If illegals are not counted on the census, then one can assume the population are legal US citizens.
Violent crimes, on the other hand, do not take into account one's legal status when tabulated. A crime is a crime, regardless of citizenship.

So, assume 100 violent crimes happened in Town X in 2010 with a population of 100,000. Now let's say 10 of these violent crimes were performed by illegals. If they all left or never were here and these crimes never happened, we'd subtract them. That's 90 crimes per 100,000. That would technically lower the rate, albeit not significantly, but that is ten less crimes.

I realize this is oversimplifying, but it's an interesting way to look at it I think.
 
Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Chicagoland
4,028 posts, read 6,223,837 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
if the illegals are being so cautious then why does it seem like every news story from large cities involves illegals? If they were cautious we would not hear about their crimes, but we are. This is what noexcuses was saying. I got it.
Just the fact that one is illegal is not the crime we are talking about; above and beyond illegal entry they commit so many other crimes - on a daily basis.
Caps are used to make a point - loud and clear. Got it?

So: I CAN USE CAPS LOCK AND IT MAKES ME RIGHT.

Flawless. I would love to hear your other ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Depends on the illegal actually. If they are here to raise a family, then yes they would stay under the radar for the sake of their family. There are, however, drug traffickers who bring in marijuana, cocaine, and black tar heroin into this country. Drug dealing in and of itself is not a violent crime, but it is still a crime.

As for the violent crimes that happen because of drugs, we'd have to look up the facts for how deaths in America happen as a result of the Mexican drug wars.
True, but when I think of drug trafficking I think of them being transient and not really in America to live but to transport goods because they have to go back and fourth not really having a permanent home.

Last edited by thePR; 02-18-2010 at 11:55 PM..
 
Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,291,186 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Things would go back to how they were before the #'s of illegals came in.



Can't remember that far back! it has been oh so long.
 
Old 02-19-2010, 01:04 AM
 
Location: central Oregon
1,856 posts, read 2,026,086 times
Reputation: 2377
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
So: I CAN USE CAPS LOCK AND IT MAKES ME RIGHT.

Flawless. I would love to hear your other ideas.


No one said anything about caps making one 'right'. Using caps has nothing to do with right or wrong. We are talking online where we can't hear each others voices and the tones used. We can use bold, italics, CAPITAL letters, or underlined words to stress the words we really want someone to "hear". Nothing else. No right or wrong.
Haven't you ever had to YELL to get your point across to someone?
 
Old 02-19-2010, 03:25 AM
Yac
 
5,874 posts, read 6,292,130 times
I might start yelling soon though .. Please get back on topic and calm down.
Yac.
__________________
Forum Rules
City-Data.com homepage
 
Old 02-19-2010, 07:09 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I want to point out that because these immigrants are here illegally, that they are actually more likely not to commit any sort of crime because they don't want to get caught. They are cautious. So to say that there would be a significant drop in crime, especially violent crime, is ludicrous.
There are an estimated 10.8-20+ million illegal aliens in this country. Naturally, if they ALL left, we would see a decline in crime. Likewise, if the entire population of ANY group were to leave, the crime rate would decrease.

They are not all living in the shadows, reluctant to commit crimes. Otherwise, they would not have committed almost 1 million sex crimes. Nor, would they be responsible for countless murders, thefts, and DUIs.

If illegals really feared detection, they would not brazenly participate in protest marches; they would not routinely appear for benefits from our social services; they would not enroll their children in our public schools; they would not loiter by the dozens in Home Depot parking lots; and there wouldn’t be a group of DREAMies trekking to DC to DEMAND legalization. As a matter of fact, they would be so far underground we would barely even know they are here.

Contrary to your belief, illegals feel quite emboldened due to support from the ACLU, the Chamber of Commerce, MALDEF, La Raza (NCLR), the Catholic Church and other organized religions, the inaction of local officials, and the failure of our federal government to enforce our immigration laws. If anything, they have an in-your-face mindset. After all, they believe they have a “right” to be here. Why on earth would they hide?

Quote:
This translates to 93 sex offenders and 12 serial sexual offenders coming across U.S. borders illegally per day. The 1500 offenders in this study had a total of 5,999 victims. Each sex offender averaged 4 victims. This places the estimate for victimization numbers around 960,000 for the 88 months examined in this study.
Deborah Schurman-Kauflin, Ph.D. - Criminal Profiler : Crime & Terrorism investigation resources

Crime victims of illegal aliens

The illegal alien crime wave thread
 
Old 02-19-2010, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There are an estimated 10.8-20+ million illegal aliens in this country. Naturally, if they ALL left, we would see a decline in crime. Likewise, if the entire population of ANY group were to leave, the crime rate would decrease.

They are not all living in the shadows, reluctant to commit crimes. Otherwise, they would not have committed almost 1 million sex crimes. Nor, would they be responsible for countless murders, thefts, and DUIs.

If illegals really feared detection, they would not brazenly participate in protest marches; they would not routinely appear for benefits from our social services; they would not enroll their children in our public schools; they would not loiter by the dozens in Home Depot parking lots; and there wouldn’t be a group of DREAMies trekking to DC to DEMAND legalization. As a matter of fact, they would be so far underground we would barely even know they are here.

Contrary to your belief, illegals feel quite emboldened due to support from the ACLU, the Chamber of Commerce, MALDEF, La Raza (NCLR), the Catholic Church and other organized religions, the inaction of local officials, and the failure of our federal government to enforce our immigration laws. If anything, they have an in-your-face mindset. After all, they believe they have a “right” to be here. Why on earth would they hide?


Deborah Schurman-Kauflin, Ph.D. - Criminal Profiler : Crime & Terrorism investigation resources

Crime victims of illegal aliens

The illegal alien crime wave thread
And what I bolded will be their downfall-----------especially in this nasty recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top