U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 PM

747 posts, read 1,524,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Honestly, Clarks, I have managed businesses and still to this day and am successful. The hardest was construction, steel fabrication/installation. The easiest, my sweet farm deal. It pays the bills, mine and theirs-win -win. As a woman, I did NOT have to enact a minority clause, but I could have, I did not have to fit any Affirmitive Action, I hired who did the work well. Skilled labor and paid them well too, pay people well and they stay. The only reason I left construction (yet still have my husband working it) to farming was to live my dream. On the side, I sell "jogging suits" at local markets, at a fair price because I get them at a fair price. I pay my taxes. The only concern was when said suits were becoming too expensive because many greedy American companies started using cheap labor. I adjusted my costs by taking cuts, I still deal with an American company based out of NC, they are more expensive because they are American made, but people pay more for that and love doing it. Putting millions into starving lines will never happen. Our government will not let that happen again because they know we know who is at fault here this time.
Another great post! Reps coming when I'm allowed to.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:46 AM
Yac

5,887 posts, read 6,335,550 times
I'd like everyone here to turn down their aggression level down a notch, we really don't need this approach here, since the topic itself brings out enough, mostly negative, emotions already.
Yac.

Old 02-25-2010, 05:53 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,750,390 times
Quote:
I own a 50 acre farm. Nuff said E-Verify works very well
A fifty acre farm is a hobby, not a business, difference between 50 acres and 500 or a thousand, is far more than arithmetic.

E verify can only be used on new hires, not on existing employees

Somewhere around here someone stated that H2 visa would work because harvest time could be predicted by reading the instructions on the back of the seed packet. To tell the truth I was stunned by the simplicity of that remark. No four year degree in Ag science, no consideration for weather, rain sun heat drought, market conditions. A wonderful suggestion, I commend the poster.

In the mean time, illegals do stoop labor, the economy is dependent on that. How we got to that position when America had an excellent guest worker program is a political issue.

At this time, the illegal labor is needed, that is a given. I would like to see some one figure out an alternative.

Last edited by Clarks; 02-25-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 06:01 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,223,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
A fifty acre farm is a hobby, not a business, difference between 50 acres and 500 or a thousand, is far more than arithmetic.

E verify can only be used on new hires, not on existing employees
That is the way it is right now but it can be mandated to be used on employees currently employed also and it should be.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:43 PM

But, I and many others who like to eat live right now, not in some future possible reality.

I would like you to show a solution that will allow labor intensive farming to exist, farming that supplies much of the food we eat and drink, while stopping the use of illegals, so far I have seen no one on this board do so.

Primarily I think, because they do not have the faintest idea how America's food is grown.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:59 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,223,889 times
Quote:
But, I and many others who like to eat live right now, not in some future possible reality.

I would like you to show a solution that will allow labor intensive farming to exist, farming that supplies much of the food we eat and drink, while stopping the use of illegals, so far I have seen no one on this board do so.

Primarily I think, because they do not have the faintest idea how America's food is grown.
I have posted in here many times that there are unlimited H2-A visas available to import legal immigrants for farm work. Does that answer your question? There is no need to use illegals unless the farmer is trying to increase his profits through cheaper wages and doesn't want to provide the benefits to the workers that H-2A visa holders are entitled to. It is all about profit not a shortage of workers.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:44 PM

Look, I am not sure how I can say this in a way that will be understandable to you. H2A doesn't work, can't work, will not work was designed not to work.

Your repeated statements that it will work, show;
A. you don't know how H2A works.
B. you don't know how AG works.
C. you have no idea how the market works.

Let me say this again, H2A does not work. I explained why, and some cityslicker said, "all you have to do is read the back of the seed packet, it tells you when to harvest".

Next, you keep bringing up that "farmer"s try to increase profits through cheaper wages and doesn't want to provide the benefits.
Your statement does not demonstrate knowledge of how economics works, if you need me to explain that to you, I guess I will have to.

Growers used to provide camps and food to workers. As a kid when I worked in the fields I often ate lunch with the workers, eating the chile and tortillas supplied by the farmer. They don't do that anymore, again, why?

The growers had two kinds of camps, those at the fields for the legal, and those up side canyons in the hills for the illegals.

Economics. If you need me to explain that to you, I guess I will.

I have two books for you to read, I doubt you will, but you should.
The Circuit, Breaking Through, by Francesco Jimenez.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,785,343 times
Quote:
Look, I am not sure how I can say this in a way that will be understandable to you. H2A doesn't work, can't work, will not work was designed not to work.

Your repeated statements that it will work, show;
A. you don't know how H2A works.
B. you don't know how AG works.
C. you have no idea how the market works.

Let me say this again, H2A does not work. I explained why, and some cityslicker said, "all you have to do is read the back of the seed packet, it tells you when to harvest".

Next, you keep bringing up that "farmer"s try to increase profits through cheaper wages and doesn't want to provide the benefits.
Your statement does not demonstrate knowledge of how economics works, if you need me to explain that to you, I guess I will have to.

Growers used to provide camps and food to workers. As a kid when I worked in the fields I often ate lunch with the workers, eating the chile and tortillas supplied by the farmer. They don't do that anymore, again, why?

The growers had two kinds of camps, those at the fields for the legal, and those up side canyons in the hills for the illegals.

Economics. If you need me to explain that to you, I guess I will.

I have two books for you to read, I doubt you will, but you should.
The Circuit, Breaking Through, by Francesco Jimenez.
Your arguments are moot in light of so many Americans out of work and willing to accept so-called 'stoop work'------------just that farmers need to pay legal wages.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,103,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Your arguments are moot in light of so many Americans out of work and willing to accept so-called 'stoop work'------------just that farmers need to pay legal wages.
This is the best argument you can give at this juncture? Really? Really now?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:52 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,785,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
This is the best argument you can give at this juncture? Really? Really now?
While we are at it: knowingly hiring illegal aliens is a crime-----------and, said employers need to sit in jail.

You clearly do not believe in the Rule of Law. I do----------and, will do my part in nailing criminals-----------of which virtually all illegal aliens are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or