U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
Can't (won't) any of those who keep saying we need illegal immigration, because it helps us, give me a reason...
To know that, one would have to follow history to the root of the problem. Chicken or egg? Greed or need? There are many theories out there, if you really care to know do the research, otherwise many have posted here from the "need" perspective, however it fails on deaf ears.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-07-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 03:47 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
To know that one would have to follow history to the root of the problem. Chicken or egg? Greed or need? There are many theories out there, if you really care to know do the research, otherwise many have posted here from the "need" perspective, however it fails on deaf ears.
Chicken? Egg? No, proof illegal aliens bring prosperity to this nation as a whole. Notice I used the term prosperity.

I am giving the opportunity for all those who bring up consistently how illegal immigration benefit this country. I tried the research and really could not find any good reason so that is why I am asking, truly, you. As pro-illegals seem to always say it is a good thing. How?

Share all that is proclaimed about how benefitial it is to America. I would like to know. Flat out (for once). I'm beginning to think there is no benefit and if that the case, why would anyone sell out our country? But back on topic hoping someone can give at least ONE good cause, if not, seriously look at your position as to why selling out Americs is a good thing.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 24 days ago)

9,060 posts, read 15,470,148 times
I thought the topic was "If Illegal Aliens all left today"? Not discussing the prosperity that illegals bring.

Regardless, I think those businesses would find a way to bring them back in legally. But I am one who really believes there are jobs Americans don't do, or at least jobs not many want to do.

Like I said previously, I think you need to explore why this all happened in the first place. Agricultural workers were coming in legally before all of this, and before them the US had slaves doing their work. Your average white Americans were not out picking strawberries. So there was already a shortage of workers. Combine that with slowly over time Americans of all colors have been told they need a college degree and to find a white collar office job, this has become the norm. It would take a large reversal of culture in America to bring citizens back to the days of wanting to be a construction worker or mechanic. Sure many fallback on it, but I seriously doubt many 6 years olds these days are inspired to be on that career track.

So what happens when all of the illegals leave? Not certain, but my guess is that another form of immigrant would fill these jobs, legally. I don't see Americans being paid that much higher to enjoy these jobs. Also take into account Americans now feel entitled to Welfare, Unemployment for 96 weeks...medicare...why would they do these jobs when they can sit at home watching TV eating cheap food.

In the end, I am not sure if there are true benefits to having illegals per se (although I am sure our companies hiring them are benefiting). However, just as we hire Software Engineers from China and India...there is a void of certain sets of skills. Adding in our culture of wanting white collar work, + entitlements of those who are low skilled and you have a large void these illegals fill. This has been corroborated by unemployment not rising during the large influx of illegals,...until the recession of course.

Quote:
Illegal immigrants seem to have very little impact on unemployment rates. Undocumented workers certainly do take jobs that would otherwise go to legal workers. But undocumented workers also create demand that leads to new jobs. They buy food and cars and cell phones, they get haircuts and go to restaurants. On average, there is close to no net impact on the unemployment rate.
Q&A: Illegal Immigrants and the U.S. Economy : NPR (2006)

That's all for now, Superbowl is on in 15 min . Enjoy.

Last edited by Mach50; 02-07-2010 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-07-2010, 04:30 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,138,154 times
Quote:
I thought the topic was "If Illegal Aliens all left today"? Not discussing the prosperity that illegals bring.

Regardless, I think those businesses would find a way to bring them back in legally. But I am one who really believes there are jobs Americans don't do, or at least jobs not many want to do.

Like I said previously, I think you need to explore why this all happened in the first place. Agricultural workers were coming in legally before all of this, and before them the US had slaves doing their work. Your average white Americans were not out picking strawberries. So there was already a shortage of workers. Combine that with slowly over time Americans of all colors have been told they need a college degree and to find a white collar office job, this has become the norm. It would take a large reversal of culture in America to bring citizens back to the days of wanting to be a construction worker or mechanic. Sure many fallback on it, but I seriously doubt many 6 years olds these days are inspired to be on that career track.

So what happens when all of the illegals leave? Not certain, but my guess is that another form of immigrant would fill these jobs, legally. I don't see Americans being paid that much higher to enjoy these jobs. Also take into account Americans now feel entitled to Welfare, Unemployment for 96 weeks...medicare...why would they do these jobs when they can sit at home watching TV eating cheap food.

In the end, I am not sure if there are true benefits to having illegals per se (although I am sure our companies hiring them are benefiting). However, just as we hire Software Engineers from China and India...there is a void of certain sets of skills. Adding in our culture of wanting white collar work, + entitlements of those who are low skilled and you have a large void these illegals fill. This has been corroborated by unemployment not rising during the large influx of illegals,...until the recession of course.

Yes! (the bolded) correlation of them leaving and what negative impact would ensue due to that. Damn! As a visitor to a southwestern State, I forgot it is an hour behind here! SuperBowl now! (will read yur views tomorrow) and thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:34 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:

Your comments simply aren't true. We have always had a large blue collar workforce in this country. Many Americans enjoy manual labor compared to sitting at a desk all day and there is nothing wrong with that. Construction for example use to pay a liveable wage but no so since the illegals arrived.

Americans can't collect welfare unless they have dependant children and from I understand that is also time limited. Medicare is for seniors not those of working age.

Of course when one gets laid off and unemployment is being collected many times it pays more than going out there getting a minimum wage job when there are no other jobs available similar to the one the worker got laid off from. Unemployment is limited anyway. You can only collect it for so many weeks. Our culture includes both white and blue collar workers and always has so what are you talking about "our culture"?

I love how the apologists for illegals always bring up crop picking. It is all they have as an argument and it is a very weak one because we have unlimited visas for legal farm workers but the farmers would rather hire cheap illegal labor instead. Also farm workers only make up 2% of our workforce anyway.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:14 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,223,837 times
Things would start to be much more expensive.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:23 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
No, they wouldn't when you weigh everything our costs would go down.

Old 02-07-2010, 05:30 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,689,216 times
Quote:
Things? Which things?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Wrong! I am old enough to remember when things were cheaper compared to now and there far fewer illegal aliens. Hell; we are discussing only 10 years ago.

And if food prices spike (slightly); oh well............many of us Americans (including myself) can stand to lose a few pounds .

Old 02-07-2010, 05:42 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,223,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Things? Which things?
Whatever products the immigrants are working with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Wrong! I am old enough to remember when things were cheaper compared to now and there far fewer illegal aliens. Hell; we are discussing only 10 years ago.

And if food prices spike (slightly); oh well............many of us Americans (including myself) can stand to lose a few pounds .
It doesn't matter what things were like in the past, people used to think the world was flat, we aren't going back to that.

Things will get more expensive because:

1. No one would be able to fill the positions fast enough.

2. They would have to be paid higher wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or