U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:01 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,141,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Things would start to be much more expensive.
HOW? Back it up, please! Which things and why would they be more expensive? HOW?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:09 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,700,585 times
Quote:
Whatever products the immigrants are working with.

It doesn't matter what things were like in the past, people used to think the world was flat, we aren't going back to that.

Things will get more expensive because:

1. No one would be able to fill the positions fast enough.

2. They would have to be paid higher wages.
The products that ILLEGAL immigrants are working with/on/whatever? What do you predict? A $5 head of lettuce because the less than 2% illegal immigrant population working in agriculture are replaced by actual green card holders? An increase in restaurant prices because they had to replace their illegal alien dishwasher with a high school kid? A rise in housing costs because builders have to actually pay experienced contractors rather than $8 an hour illegal aliens?

I rather doubt filling positions would be a problem given the 10% plus unemployment rate in the U.S. There are plenty of out of work Americans that would jump at the chance of working for a living wage and they should certainly have that opportunity ahead of law scofflaws and identity thieves.

I guarantee you that they would not be sending their wages out of the country by the billions of dollars every year either. You want economic recovery? Allow American citizens, legal immigrants, and green card holders to work for a living wage--at least they will be pumping their earnings back into the American economy.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 PM

4,028 posts, read 6,236,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
HOW? Back it up, please! Which things and why would they be more expensive? HOW?
Did you not see the second part of my post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The products that ILLEGAL immigrants are working with/on/whatever? What do you predict? A $5 head of lettuce because the less than 2% illegal immigrant population working in agriculture are replaced by actual green card holders? An increase in restaurant prices because they had to replace their illegal alien dishwasher with a high school kid? A rise in housing costs because builders have to actually pay experienced contractors rather than $8 an hour illegal aliens?

I rather doubt filling positions would be a problem given the 10% plus unemployment rate in the U.S. There are plenty of out of work Americans that would jump at the chance of working for a living wage and they should certainly have that opportunity ahead of law scofflaws and identity thieves.

I guarantee you that they would not be sending their wages out of the country by the billions of dollars every year either. You want economic recovery? Allow American citizens, legal immigrants, and green card holders to work for a living wage--at least they will be pumping their earnings back into the American economy.
Show me where it says that less than 2 percent of the lower labor is illegal immigrants, overall and for lettuce.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:33 PM

48 posts, read 140,998 times
If the illegal immagrants left today. Our already struggling economy would be no more. Business would be forced to downsize including the Hospitals. As the total consumer and intake numbers would be greatly reduced. Prices on everything would then sky rocket as an end result. The cost to run business would be much higher as many Americans would refuse to work for such little pay. The crime rate would probably increase as a method of survival. Schools would close in many areas, and parents would be forced to get the children to school daily in neighboring areas.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:50 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,700,585 times
Quote:
Show me where it says that less than 2 percent of the lower labor is illegal immigrants, overall and for lettuce.
According to a 2005 report by the Pew Hispanic Center as well as Jeffrey Passell's report for the Urban Institute, which was cited by Pew in the 2005 report, the number of illegal aliens working in agriculture fluctuates between 2 - 4% in any given year. I'm not wading through the 300-plus page report again just to dig out that little snippet for you. Look it up yourself. You obviously have internet access.

As for the rest of your post (overall and for lettuce)? What precisely, are you asking?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:51 PM

3,863 posts, read 3,172,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth NJ View Post
If the illegal immagrants left today. Our already struggling economy would be no more. Business would be forced to downsize including the Hospitals. As the total consumer and intake numbers would be greatly reduced. Prices on everything would then sky rocket as an end result. The cost to run business would be much higher as many Americans would refuse to work for such little pay. The crime rate would probably increase as a method of survival. Schools would close in many areas, and parents would be forced to get the children to school daily in neighboring areas.
Just great"The sky is falling mentality"You must mean less money spent(wasted) on prisons,schools,social services,hospitals,Bi-lingual(press#2 for Spanish) everything from forms,signs,documents and phone lines and so on.Why hasn't Europe collapsed or other countries around the world that don't have 15 - 20 million Illegals.If they were so great for us then why aren't impoverished Latin American countries Economic Giants with the millions of illiterate,unskilled peasants they have?

Old 02-07-2010, 07:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,141,899 times
Quote:
If the illegal immigrants left today. Our already struggling economy would be no more. Business would be forced to downsize including the Hospitals. As the total consumer and intake numbers would be greatly reduced. Prices on everything would then sky rocket as an end result. The cost to run business would be much higher as many Americans would refuse to work for such little pay. The crime rate would probably increase as a method of survival. Schools would close in many areas, and parents would be forced to get the children to school daily in neighboring areas.
I do appreciate opinions, I'm looking for factual backups...

I mean, I can say........welfare services will no longer be strained, businesses will have to stop lining their pockets and offer a non obscene wage with insurance, neighborhoods will settle, no crime of the community type as they will respect one another, crime will go down because no one has to "survive" anymore, schools will offer decent education not being sidetracked by trying to teach those who do not speak English thus allowing themselves to concentrate on those who are there to learn other than a language, real schooling..gangs will go down...hell I can even say the Moon will grow but I would like to see statistics of proof of your claims....

Old 02-07-2010, 08:04 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Even if all of that were true (but it isn't) do you really want to live in a country that survives on lawlessness and corruptness to make a buck? If so, I suggest you move to a country where lawlessness is an accepted part of their culture.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:12 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,168,220 times
Quote:
Whatever products the immigrants are working with.

It doesn't matter what things were like in the past, people used to think the world was flat, we aren't going back to that.

Things will get more expensive because:

1. No one would be able to fill the positions fast enough.

2. They would have to be paid higher wages.

1. Baloney, there are millions of Americans uemployed right now. Unless they are retarded Americans catch on to a new job fast. Many of them probably did hold those same jobs before but were taken by an illegal so no training will even be necessary.

2. I'd rather think of it as being paid at a fair wage rather than slave labor wages with the illegals on them. Employers would just have to accept a little less profit or they won't be able to sell their goods. Most of these employers weren't passing the savings on to the consumer anyway they were pocketing the extra profits instead.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,678,111 times
Quote:
Proof please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or