Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 10:26 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Nonsense, farmers do not hire legal or illegal farmworkers.

Growers( is the accurate term) do not provide healthcare or a place to live to farmworkers,

I don't need a link for my assertions, you do, find em.
What? They don't hire legal or illegal farm workers? Then who do they hire?

When someone posts something as facts then it is up to them to prove what they are saying is true. Evidently you can't or won't do that so that tells me right there that your assertions are not true.

When a farmer hires an H-2A legal immigrant they ARE required to provide shelter and heathcare for them. As I said, that is why they hire illegal aliens instead.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,289,862 times
Quote:
More nonsense, there is currently a labor shortage in the fields, I sure don't see any white people in the fields. There are of course, Mexican Americans in the fields, but the white folk are not out there, and there is no law preventing them, now, is there?
Why would there be a shortage of workers with LEGAL immigrants waiting in their countries to do that kind of work?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 PM

530 posts, read 1,128,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Since landlords are liable for renting to known criminals in most places--------what gives them a free skate vis a vis illegal aliens? They are also criminals.
I am a landlord in Los Angeles, CA and I am NOT allowed to ask legal status on any tenants. I can/could be sued for discrimination.

When my family first aquired this apartment building, Los Angeles was thinking about holding all landlords responsible for illegals (which the ones in my building all are under rent control and pay way under market value so I really wouldn't mind them out). Well the law did not pass due to it being discriminatory.

Us landlords (in some cities/states) are NOT allowed to ask such questions pertaining to citizenship.

Insane.

I have only been in Los Angeles for 3 years and it is a sad thing here. Today my best friend and I got to witness a lady pull her pants down and pee on the sidewalk at a very very busy intersection in Los Angeles. We could not believe our eyes. So disgusting.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:43 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,826,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreXican View Post
Depends on the illegal actually. If they are here to raise a family, then yes they would stay under the radar for the sake of their family. There are, however, drug traffickers who bring in marijuana, cocaine, and black tar heroin into this country. Drug dealing in and of itself is not a violent crime, but it is still a crime.

As for the violent crimes that happen because of drugs, we'd have to look up the facts for how deaths in America happen as a result of the Mexican drug wars.
OFF TOPIC>>>

We have to look at America...There are Mexican Drug wars because Americans Love to Smoke, Snort, and Shoot-up lots and lots of illegal drugs...thats the facts.

No American Demand, No Drug Lords on the US-Mexican border.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:51 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
OFF TOPIC>>>

We have to look at America...There are Mexican Drug wars because Americans Love to Smoke, Snort, and Shoot-up lots and lots of illegal drugs...thats the facts.

No American Demand, No Drug Lords on the US-Mexican border.
And since a lot of the demand (and drug flow) to the USA is down significantly; it is now Mexican nationals that are consuming said drugs. Judging by th gruesome murders in places like Juarez...........I strongly suspect that Meth is now a huge problem SoB.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,061,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mading6 View Post
I am a landlord in Los Angeles, CA and I am NOT allowed to ask legal status on any tenants. I can/could be sued for discrimination.

When my family first aquired this apartment building, Los Angeles was thinking about holding all landlords responsible for illegals (which the ones in my building all are under rent control and pay way under market value so I really wouldn't mind them out). Well the law did not pass due to it being discriminatory.

Us landlords (in some cities/states) are NOT allowed to ask such questions pertaining to citizenship.

Insane.

I have only been in Los Angeles for 3 years and it is a sad thing here. Today my best friend and I got to witness a lady pull her pants down and pee on the sidewalk at a very very busy intersection in Los Angeles. We could not believe our eyes. So disgusting.
That sucks. The law needs to be changed nationwide to at least allow landlords to ask the legal status of potential tenants. As it is: a landlord can be held responsible for illegal activity on its properties. Damned if you do; damned if you don't.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:35 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,531,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That sucks. The law needs to be changed nationwide to at least allow landlords to ask the legal status of potential tenants. As it is: a landlord can be held responsible for illegal activity on its properties. Damned if you do; damned if you don't.
Exactly! This is just crazy. I think more landlords need to demand a more comprehensive directive regarding their own assets.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:09 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,510,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks
Nonsense, farmers do not hire legal or illegal farmworkers.

Growers( is the accurate term) do not provide healthcare or a place to live to farmworkers,

I don't need a link for my assertions, you do, find em.

What? They don't hire legal or illegal farm workers? Then who do they hire?

When someone posts something as facts then it is up to them to prove what they are saying is true. Evidently you can't or won't do that so that tells me right there that your assertions are not true.

When a farmer hires an H-2A legal immigrant they ARE required to provide shelter and heathcare for them. As I said, that is why they hire illegal aliens instead.
Pretty tough to make comments on a subject that ya'll don't know the basics of. Here is why farmers don't hire field workers. I might need no one for the next two weeks, the following week I might need 50 for harvest, the week after that I might want four for weeding. I cannot keep 50 on the books, I cannot afford to round up the exact number I need at any given time. So I hire none.
Ya'll want to sound like experts but you have no idea who hires and how they hire, now do ya?

Quote:
Why would there be a shortage of workers with LEGAL immigrants waiting in their countries to do that kind of work?
I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying there are legal immigrants in Mexico wanting to work the fields in Mexico? Are you saying there are legal immigrants in Mexico wanting to work the fields in America? If so why did they get legal immigrant status in Mexico?

Quote:
I explained to you why H2A isn't used for field workers, it could be used for long term employees and is probably is, but, not for field workers which is the greater number of workers.

Last edited by Clarks; 02-20-2010 at 08:18 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 08:19 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,531,606 times
Quote:
Pretty tough to make comments on a subject that ya'll don't know the basics of. Here is why farmers don't hire field workers. I might need no one for the next two weeks, the following week I might need 50 for harvest, the week after that I might want four for weeding. I cannot keep 50 on the books, I cannot afford to round up the exact number I need at any given time. So I hire none.
Ya'll want to sound like experts but you have no idea who hires and how they hire, no do ya?

Oh really? As one who has been ingrained in the construction industry for decades, it is the same practice reflecting the flow of economy. Carrying a crew when work is slow is what you do and temp. layoff when slower. (deserved benefits help carry them until it picks up) Hire back with the benefits and desired wages, promotes loyalty, keeps families above water. TAKING CARE OF AMERICAN WORKERS.

Illegal practice undercuts the American system in so many ways I am not even going to try and explain to someone who has no concept of "how it really works, only how to work it illegally".

Get real.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:29 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,510,141 times
You think all workers in the fields are illegal? Wrong
You still don't have any idea how field workers are employed do ya?
The system used offers workers near continuous employment, lay offs don't work well with minimum wage jobs.

Funny thing, Growers are, in the overwhelming majority, standard issue die hard Republicans, they hate them liberals, and they, by the force of economics do what they must.

If you have another way, quit belly aching and come out with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration