U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM

5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times

Advertisements

I guess my point in all of this is if somebody doesn't have a social security number in the US but for whatever reason they really want to own property here I don't see a problem with that. I guess I just don't see the relation between immigrant status and property ownership...they seem like two unrelated functions to me.

Take this example - a wealthy Mexican citizen (who has a US visitor's visa but has no social security number) wants to help his brother (permanent US resident) out so he buys a house there which he intends to rent out to his brother and his brother's family. Just because he doesn't have a social security number doesn't mean he shouldn't be able to make this transaction, should it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM

Also, what about rich foreigners who have US visitor visas and want to purchase vacation homes here where they plan on spending a few months out of the year. Foreigners with visitor visas do not have social security numbers and would not be able to pass E-verify, mind you.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Also, what about rich foreigners who have US visitor visas and want to purchase vacation homes here where they plan on spending a few months out of the year. Foreigners with visitor visas do not have social security numbers and would not be able to pass E-verify, mind you.
They would have a passport though.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
They would have a passport though.
Most illegal immigrants I know have passports from their country of origin...so what? A passport doesn't allow someone to pass e-verify. You'd need to accompany it with a valid social security card/number.

The more I think about this proposal, the more I think Rep. Marchant didn't think this through very well. E-Verify for mortgages is a TERRIBLE idea.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Quote:
Most illegal immigrants I know have passports from their country of origin...so what? A passport doesn't allow someone to pass e-verify. You'd need to accompany it with a valid social security card/number.

The more I think about this proposal, the more I think Rep. Marchant didn't think this through very well. E-Verify for mortgages is a TERRIBLE idea.

Oher Countries don't offer loans?

Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oher Countries don't offer loans?
Other countries offer loans to the USA...were not Chinese.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:31 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This should already be a requirement. Illegals have received fraudulent mortgage loans, and have no problem abandoning homes. They have no fear of having their credit ruined, because itís not THEIR credit being ruined.

Your so right. I have a feeling, that those illegals who are living here illegally, have absoutely no fear of anything.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:33 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,287,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
It is without a doubt a step in the right direction. Closing yet another avenue of abuse is the thing to do.
Imagine you are shopping for your dream home or just your first home. You place a fair bid only to lose out to someone else. Thats life and it happens. What should never happen is for a legal citizen or resident to lose to an illegal. An individual who has no right to be here let alone to own property.

Man you could not of said it any better believe me. I think it is an outrage, when a legal citizen loses a home new or used, to an illegal. Should be criminianl, should it not!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Man you could not of said it any better believe me. I think it is an outrage, when a legal citizen loses a home new or used, to an illegal. Should be criminianl, should it not!

how does a citizen lose their home to an Illegal...?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:35 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
They don't have all the same rights but I'm almost positive they have the right to land/property/business ownership. They definitely have the right to work in the US and pay taxes and receive tax paid benefits just like a citizen would. Permanent residents have social security cards and would pass E-verify anyways, my question was if their status had expired or was in process for renewal.
I tend to agree with you. No actually i agree with you 100%...
I also agree with A. Bear/ The green card holder owns the R on maintaining their status. If they should let it slide or do something to cause themselves to be deported, then they own this.
E verify should be used for all applicants. If here illegally they should not be rewarded by receiving a mortgage to buy a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration