U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:37 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
how does a citizen lose their home to an Illegal...?
I think what Cal. jewel is trying to say is that during the buying or bidding process no legal should be beat out by an illegal. If for no other reason said illegal doesn't even have a right to be here let alone buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 08:21 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I think what Cal. jewel is trying to say is that during the buying or bidding process no legal should be beat out by an illegal. If for no other reason said illegal doesn't even have a right to be here let alone buy a house.
I guess I was confused because on page 1, it was stated that...

Nothing in federal law prohibits illegal immigrants from owning homes. And banks can legally accept passports, tax identification numbers, and consular cards from people who want to open bank accounts or get home loans, according to the Comptroller of the Currency, a bureau of the US Treasury that regulates national banks.

Illegal immigrants own homes with help of bank loans - The Boston Globe

So for you and her to be arguing that point was confusing...as you Now see.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,077,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Before I can opin on this topic I am curious about something. So let's say somebody has a permanent residency card or temporary work visa that is good for 10 years. If that individual buys a house and then doesn't/isn't able to renew their status after their visa/green card expires, does that mean they automatically lose their house? In other words, can home ownership only exist while a person is legally allowed to be in the country?

Another scenario, let's say someone has a family member living in the US and currently has a visa application in process. He/she decides to buy a lot next door to family member and has plans on building a home on that lot once the visa goes through.

Can both of these legally be done in the current system? I'm assuming everything can be done with a permanent residency card, but possibly not with a temporary work visa and/or while a visa is in process.

Due to these complicated scenarios I don't know if I feel e-verify should be required for any home/property transactions...I'm kind of leaning towards not.
These are good questions...

Old 02-11-2010, 05:53 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:

Nothing in federal law prohibits illegal immigrants from owning homes. And banks can legally accept passports, tax identification numbers, and consular cards from people who want to open bank accounts or get home loans, according to the Comptroller of the Currency, a bureau of the US Treasury that regulates national banks.

Ok, so an Illegal can buy a house and still get deported. Ok, story over. If they want to take that chance then yahoo. Where's my tiny violin.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:38 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Ok, so an Illegal can buy a house and still get deported. Ok, story over. If they want to take that chance then yahoo. Where's my tiny violin.
Deportation doesnt mean He has to forfits the house. He's just in another country.

He can rent the house to cover mortgage and taxes.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:55 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Deportation doesnt mean He has to forfits the house. He's just in another country.

He can rent the house to cover mortgage and taxes.
He also could have bought the house without breaking a bunch of laws too or begging the US Company for a loan
Since we tax payers bailed them out it's too bad we don't have more of a say who they loan it too. 5 million Illegals (est) bought homes during the rise but the articles I read stated a huge amount defaulted. That's not a wise business practice.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:35 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
He also could have bought the house without breaking a bunch of laws too or begging the US Company for a loan
Since we tax payers bailed them out it's too bad we don't have more of a say who they loan it too. 5 million Illegals (est) bought homes during the rise but the articles I read stated a huge amount defaulted. That's not a wise business practice.
If a bank wants to take that risk I think they should have the right to. When you start restricting these things you are cutting into capitalism.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
If a bank wants to take that risk I think they should have the right to. When you start restricting these things you are cutting into capitalism.
Right, then they should get no government bailouts (out tax dollars) when it comes back to haunt them.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 AM

5,891 posts, read 12,252,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Right, then they should get no government bailouts (out tax dollars) when it comes back to haunt them.
You're opening up an entirely different can of worms, but I think for the most part you're right, governement bailouts go against the ideals of capitalism.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:12 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,884,971 times
Quote:

Does the illegal have a right to be in this country?
Does the illegal have a right to work in this country?
Do we need to waste the effort to write laws that state that because an illegal does not have a right to be in this country, work in this country they then would have no right to own property in this country?
Evidently we do.
Is there a law that says one is not allowed to drive a car and burn a large pile of leaves in the back seat at the same time? No but maybe we should just in case someone thinks it would be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration