U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2010, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
It is true that many employers are fooled by fake documents, however some do know that the person they are hiring is illegally in our country. That is the reason we need e-verify. Neither employer nor employee will be able to fool the system anymore.
Although I'm not going to say there aren't some exceptions, no large company with any kind of sense would purposely do this. It's an idiotic financial risk due to potential fines and investigations from various government organizations, namely Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration. The exceptions would likely occur with smaller family owned companies and the such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2010, 01:54 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
Although I'm not going to say there aren't some exceptions, no large company with any kind of sense would purposely do this. It's an idiotic financial risk due to potential fines and investigations from various government organizations, namely Homeland Security and the Social Security Administration. The exceptions would likely occur with smaller family owned companies and the such.
This would be true, IF our laws were actually being enforced. Who would dare knowingly hire an illegal if they thought they would receive hefty fines and possible imprisonment? We have an estimated 8 million illegal aliens working in this country. They canít ALL be working for Mom and Pop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This would be true, IF our laws were actually being enforced. Who would dare knowingly hire an illegal if they thought they would receive hefty fines and possible imprisonment? We have an estimated 8 million illegal aliens working in this country. They canít ALL be working for Mom and Pop.
No, there are plenty working for large employers but they were hired using somebody else's ID. Without doing an SSA check or E-verify this is very difficult to detect during the hiring process. Even with those two checks in place there are cases where somebody can slip through if their four points of ID all match. I've seen it happen plenty of times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slig View Post
No, there are plenty working for large employers but they were hired using somebody else's ID. Without doing an SSA check or E-verify this is very difficult to detect during the hiring process. Even with those two checks in place there are cases where somebody can slip through if their four points of ID all match. I've seen it happen plenty of times.
This is why we need something in addition to E-Verify. If they are using a stolen, yet valid SSN, they will pass E-Verify. Even if we had photos on social security cards, they could still get cards that look so authentic they would not be detected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 06:31 AM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times
Reputation: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is why we need something in addition to E-Verify. If they are using a stolen, yet valid SSN, they will pass E-Verify. Even if we had photos on social security cards, they could still get cards that look so authentic they would not be detected.
I love fingerprint and retina scans, dna verification. I'm even all for chip implantation to those who so choose, something that would prove you to be the human you claim to be. This issue does raise concerns regarding privacy issues, I just do not have a problem with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 07:25 AM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
60,088 posts, read 30,599,526 times
Reputation: 12815
It needs to be forbidden to sell to, or own American soil, if your not an American, PERIOD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:10 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It needs to be forbidden to sell to, or own American soil, if your not an American, PERIOD!
So we shouldn't have foreign corporations buy land in the US, build factories, and contribute to the overall economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 AM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Reputation: 17688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is why we need something in addition to E-Verify. If they are using a stolen, yet valid SSN, they will pass E-Verify. Even if we had photos on social security cards, they could still get cards that look so authentic they would not be detected.
We implemented E-verify last year and I had to be finger printed. It took all of two minutes for the entire process. The following Monday about a dozen people went awol from work. I guess they were finally sniffed out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:39 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,085,289 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It needs to be forbidden to sell to, or own American soil, if your not an American, PERIOD!
So there should be a Law against Foreign ownership of Property in America?

So what happens to all those properties owned by foreigners now, Do we give them their money back? And who is going to give back the money... private individuals, Banks, the Government?

If the Government gives back all thoses Billions in property costs, where do you think that money comes from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
5,891 posts, read 12,249,807 times
Reputation: 2520
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It needs to be forbidden to sell to, or own American soil, if your not an American, PERIOD!
This will never happen. Keep dreaming though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top