U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 03:10 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Is that clause, debated but not added, or do you want the 14th ammended to add that clause?
"Subject to the jurisdicton thereof" is the actual wording of the 14th amendment. What I provided was what the Senator and others back then wanted it to be interpreted to mean when it was written. That interpretation changed when a case was brought before the Supreme Court challenging it and that case was won. If I remember right, the case made no sense at all. I believe the details of that case was posted in here under another topic not too long ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM

156 posts, read 111,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I guess since so many people have trouble understanding what the intent of the amendment was, then YES, this bit should be added.
Children born to foreign parents should NOT be automatic US citizens at birth!
Definitely children of those who are here illegally should not be conferred automatic citizenship. It is simply an abuse of the 14th amendment.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticat View Post
Definitely children of those who are here illegally should not be conferred automatic citizenship. It is simply an abuse of the 14th amendment.

The precedent has already been set...

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193)

The act also requires us to report on the extent to which means-tested public benefits are provided to illegal aliens for the use of eligible
individuals. This is most likely to occur when an illegal alien parent noteligible for aid receives benefits on behalf of his or her U.S. citizen child. A child born in the United States to an illegal alien obtains U.S. citizenship at birth regardless of the parentís immigration status and, as any other citizen in need, may receive welfare and other benefits. When such a child receives assistance, the aid also helps support the childís family, raising concerns about the use of public assistance by those illegally in the United States.

http://www.gao.gov/archive/1998/he98030.pdf

Old 02-11-2010, 06:33 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,149,569 times
Quote:

The Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act of 1996 (P.L. 104-193)

The act also requires us to report on the extent to which means-tested public benefits are provided to illegal aliens for the use of eligible
individuals. This is most likely to occur when an illegal alien parent noteligible for aid receives benefits on behalf of his or her U.S. citizen child. A child born in the United States to an illegal alien obtains U.S. citizenship at birth regardless of the parentís immigration status and, as any other citizen in need, may receive welfare and other benefits. When such a child receives assistance, the aid also helps support the childís family, raising concerns about the use of public assistance by those illegally in the United States.

Let's not play down this sentence, however.

When such a child receives assistance, the aid also helps support the childís family, raising concerns about the use of public assistance by those illegally in the United States.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,855,551 times
Quote:

individuals. This is most likely to occur when an illegal alien parent noteligible for aid receives benefits on behalf of his or her U.S. citizen child. A child born in the United States to an illegal alien obtains U.S. citizenship at birth regardless of the parent’s immigration status and, as any other citizen in need, may receive welfare and other benefits. When such a child receives assistance, the aid also helps support the child’s family, raising concerns about the use of public assistance by those illegally in the United States.

Which is exactly why we need a Constitutional Amendment, IMO.

I doubt any of our elected representatives are willing to alienate a major voting block to put such an Amendment forward, or that it would garner enough co-sponsor support to get out of committee.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:47 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Which is exactly why we need a Constitutional Amendment, IMO.

I doubt any of our elected representatives are willing to alienate a major voting block to put such an Amendment forward, or that it would garner enough co-sponsor support to get out of committee.
Which major voting bloc would this be? If discussing 'Hispanics'; maybe 10% of them are registered voters----------and, many of them are anti illegal immigration For that matter: American Blacks are equal in size to Latinos population wise--------and, I can safely say that most of them would be favor of reinterpreting the 14th to specifically exclude Anchor Babies.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,895,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Let's not play down this sentence, however.

When such a child receives assistance, the aid also helps support the childís family, raising concerns about the use of public assistance by those illegally in the United States.
Early on in the link provided the following is written:

In fiscal year 1995, about $1.1 billion in AFDC and Food Stamp benefits
were provided to households with an illegal alien parent for the use of his
or her citizen child.

$1.1 BILLION in 1995! Given the fact that illegals have been flooding into the USA since then, I would like to see what the number is in 2010 figures.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:20 AM

3,855 posts, read 4,086,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Which major voting bloc would this be? If discussing 'Hispanics'; maybe 10% of them are registered voters----------and, many of them are anti illegal immigration For that matter: American Blacks are equal in size to Latinos population wise--------and, I can safely say that most of them would be favor of reinterpreting the 14th to specifically exclude Anchor Babies.
That clause about concers did not escape me...and I didnt delete it, because my point was-

That 1996 law is setting precedent for the interpretation of the 14th.

I know there is the underlying concerns about illegals recieving aid...

but what ive been trying to say is, Hispanics only make up 15% of the American population

If hispanics only make up 10% of the registered/ or voters in this country...
How are all these laws being passed?.

If I recall, 1996 was a Republican admistration.

but it really doesnt mater the label of politican, they are the ones selling you down the river...Big Money intrests writes the laws. And yes, for a lot of years Big Business profited off cheap labor. Big Banks write banking laws, so if a Alien can buy a home here, thats been OKed up the line...

Yes America is paying through Taxes for aliens to be here...but those rules were NOT written by me, or Aliens, or by LULAC, or Hispanic Americans, or the average American tax payer...Big Business writes the laws and you fund it.

Follow the money.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:34 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Quote:
Follow the money.
We already know where that trail leads. The point is, in 2010, we do not need to ensure citizenship for the offspring of freed slaves. Thus, the 14th Amendment needs to be rescinded before illegals and their US-born children completely bankrupt this country.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:00 PM

1,144 posts, read 3,256,335 times
There are ballot initiatives gathering signatures in California on this issue. Does anyone know if there is any other push at the state level to address this issue? All we need, is to get this on a state referendum and it WILL pass. Then it goes to the courts. The courts is the only place we have a real chance on ending this huge problem.

The Supreme Court seems to be leaning right. They also seem to be very pro-business as well. 50-50 chances.

With 400,000 anchor babies born annually, we need to deal with this as soon as possible.

Does anyone know what would happen to current anchor children, if the courts did end birthright citizenship? Are there any precedents with a grandfather clause involved with a situation at least somewhat lateral to this issue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration