Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 12:29 AM

3,306 posts, read 4,154,654 times

Advertisements

Man, I was just reading the stuff in this forum and I'm amazed how much hate there is! I seriously wonder though, how many of you would not do the same as the "illegals"?

I can tell you if I was in Mexico and my family couldn't make enough for food etc, I would gladly jump the border to find work.

So much hate for a group of people that are just trying to feed their families.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:41 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
They are breaking the law...what other point is there?

At one point I was considering a move to the UK, I would never have dreamed of disrepecting their laws by entering illegally.

Let me tell you a story of my past...

I was in my mid 20s, I lived on the campus of the University of Texas at Arlington...I had been up late studying the night before and was sleeping during the day...a Mexican man who said he was a maintenance worker entered my apartment without a work order I might add...and found me asleep in bed.

I made my prescense known and he fled the apartment. Once I woke up, I called the maintenance department to ask if there was some reason someone would be entering my apartment because I knew I had not asked for something to be repaired.

Come to find out this man ilegally entered my apartment, the police feared his intent was to break the law, either to rob me or posibly lay in wait for me...I imagine he changed his mind when I said my boyfriends name when I heard my bedroom door open...I assumed it was Ray...he probably fled thinking that Ray was indeed on his way...

WELL by my description they figured out who he was...figured out his work documents were fake and that he was an illegal...AND had fled back to Mexico...they even found other people whose apartments he had entered ilegally...luckily the 900 numbers he had been calling in my apartment were comped by the phone company because I had asked for a block from them months before which they didn't put on there...funny how I felt the block would be a good idea because I had seen the caliber of people that UTA hired to do maintenance on the property.

This case made the University re-think their policy on giving master keys to all maintenance people, rather issue them ONE key for ONE apartment when a work order was issued.

The campus police outright told me I would have had the right to shoot him dead that day...he was entering illegally...

I narrowly escaped harm that day...maybe an angel was looking out for me...who knows...

SEND THEM HOME...I don't care what goes on in their country, its not OK for them to break the law and come here.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 AM

Lisa,

You didn't answer the question, really. Would you do different? Would you let your family starve? Also what was the point
of your story?

Old 05-30-2007, 01:54 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
Man, I was just reading the stuff in this forum and I'm amazed how much hate there is! I seriously wonder though, how many of you would not do the same as the "illegals"?

I can tell you if I was in Mexico and my family couldn't make enough for food etc, I would gladly jump the border to find work.

That is preposterous!!

There area TON of jobs in Mexico. That is why many people from Central America immigrate to Mexico for work. And when they do, they are beaten and robbed by the cops and are treated like felons in Mexico. Funny thing, the Mexicans come here, commit several crimes, including trespassing into a National Border, tax evasion, forgery of documents, etc etc and they DEMAND amnesty and when aliens enter Mexico, they are beaten and arrested. An outrage.

Furthermore, as I was stating, Mexico has a TON of jobs. The reason they come here is because they can make money in the USA tax-free, send it back home and take advantage of the currency exhange and end up with a lot of Mexican Pesos AND these illegals take advantage of free education, free healthcare services, food stamps, welfare, etc etc.

No wonder there is not a whole lot in terms of social servioces left for poor Americans... the illegals take it all!!

Old 05-30-2007, 02:19 AM

Quote:
There area TON of jobs in Mexico. That is why many people from Central America immigrate to Mexico for work.
There are not "tons of jobs in Mexico". Although the unemployment rate in Mexico isn't bad, the underemployment rate is high. Also, a lot of the Central Americans coming into Mexico are trying to make their way to the US. Mexico doesn't have an illegal immigration problem.

They come here to work because they can't find good work in Mexico. Have you actually talked to any of them?

PS. I don't care about social services for poor Americans or illegals.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:27 AM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Here's the point. I posted this in another thread, but it seems appropriate for this topic.

If the U.S. is indeed a sovereign country, then the U.S. as such has a responsibility to its citizens to protect our borders and enforce our sovereign laws.

Study after study shows that these people take more out of our system and thus the American taxpayer's pocket, than they contribute. This is not about the poor who deserve the opportunity to "work" in the U.S. Of course, almost anyone on earth would do what they think is necessary to support their families, but that doesn't give the green light to lawlessness.

The U.S. cannot be expected to save the world from poverty. We have enough destitute AMERICANS who need our help. If you really want to break this down into an issue of whose poverty makes it most necessary to import their poor into our country in order to "alleviate world poverty" then Mexico should be far down on the list.

Today in Africa, approximately 2,500 children died. Tomorrow another 2,500 will die. The day after that another 2,500 children will die. Every day of every week of every year. They will from starvation and from a lack of clean water, and from the diseases which are brought on by both.

There is no doubt that many of Mexico's people are poor. But there is poor and there is abject, without hope, destined to die, poverty. If human compassion is indeed the motivation behind illegal immigration (which we all know that it is not--it is the enslavement of an entire geo-political class of people for corporate benefit) then surely there must be a yardstick by which we measure need.

Why should the United States continue to receive unchecked, all of Mexico's poor and uneducated? If poor and uneducated people are what you are looking to import into the United States in the name of human compassion, then I suggest that we begin importing our illegal aliens from the following fifty poorest countries in the world. Please note that Mexico doesn't even make the top 50:

Afghanistan, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin, Bhutan, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Haiti, Kiribati, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Niger, Rwanda, Samoa, São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Solomon Islands, Somalia, Sudan, East Timor, Togo, Tuvalu, Uganda, Tanzania, Vanuatu, Yemen, Zambia.

Only then can America truly earn its reputation for saving the world. If human compassion is the ideal, then people from these fifty countries should be our top priority. I guarantee that they will be much more grateful for the opportunity to "improve" their lives than our current crop of illegals aliens and I doubt that they'll be marching in American streets whinning and blubbering that we haven't done enough for them yet and expect American citizens to embrace them for it.

By the way, Mexico doesn't have an illegal immigration problem because they strictly enforce border security and immigration law. If you are caught sneaking into Mexico illegally, they will throw you UNDER the jail for a very long time.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:47 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:

The first thing I would do is hold off on having a famliy until I've legally immigrated or until my situations improves. Even if I didn't utilize family planning and birth control, I still wouldn't risk my family's lives so I can make an extra buck. Let's face it, Mexicans are not dying of starvation, they are not going through civil wars or genocide, and although they have a corrupt govt., it is not the worst by far. Besides there are plenty of American's who are just as bad off or doing worse than Mexicans. We need to take care of these people first (and no I'm not talking about handouts for them).

Old 05-30-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Why should the United States continue to receive unchecked, all of Mexico's poor and uneducated?
I created this thread not because I think the US should continue its current immigration policy etc, rather because I find the hate speech disturbing. If you just replaced "illegals" with "jews" (or "blacks" etc) in most of what people say here its right out of Nazi Germany. Sadly hate speech against Meixcans has become acceptable lately, because Americans need a scapegoat for their problems.

Regardless. The point of my comment is simply this: If you would do no different then them why all the hate speech? You can be against current immigrantion policy without being nasty towards a group of people that is just trying to survive.

Quote:
f you are caught sneaking into Mexico illegally
I'm not suggesting that Mexico doesn't have strong immigration laws etc, rather I'm suggesting that people aren't trying to get into Mexico to work etc. They are trying to get into Mexico largely to get to the US or traffic drugs.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:01 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,372 times
Quote:

They come here for free health care, welfare, SSI, food stamps and every social program the U.S. offers.

The same social programs are denied to many American citizens who have lived here all their lives and paid into the system.

I forgot to mention....to commit crimes too.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:04 AM

Quote:
I still wouldn't risk my family's lives so I can make an extra buck
Typically "the man of the family" will come to the US to work, not the whole family.

Regardless, as I just stated to someone else. The point of my comments aren't that Mexicans are so poor and therefore we should take care of them. My comments where not "pro-immigration" or anything else of that nature. The hate speech is disturbing that is all I'm pointing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration