U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 03:48 PM

451 posts, read 1,016,794 times

Advertisements

I would love to see your so called data to back up even half of the BS you post on here.

Quote:
Humanoid
In general this isn't true.
I would have to say that in general, you need to read up on what you decide to dispute.

Quote:
Dried apples preserved with a cancer-causing chemical.

Frozen catfish laden with banned antibiotics.

Scallops and sardines coated with putrefying bacteria.

Mushrooms laced with illegal pesticides.

These were among the 107 food imports from China that the Food and Drug Administration detained at U.S. ports just last month, agency documents reveal, along with more than 1,000 shipments of tainted Chinese dietary supplements, toxic Chinese cosmetics and counterfeit Chinese medicines.

For years, U.S. inspection records show, China has flooded the United States with foods unfit for human consumption. And for years, FDA inspectors have simply returned to Chinese importers the small portion of those products they caught -- many of which turned up at U.S. borders again, making a second or third attempt at entry.
From China to Panama, a Trail of Poisoned Medicine - New York Times
Tainted Chinese Imports Common - washingtonpost.com

Quote:
Poisoned Toothpaste in Panama Is Believed to Be From China

Diethylene glycol, a poisonous ingredient in some antifreeze, has been found in 6,000 tubes of toothpaste in Panama, and customs officials there said yesterday that the product appeared to have originated in China.

“Our preliminary information is that it came from China, but we don’t know that with certainty yet,” said Daniel Delgado Diamante, Panama’s director of customs. “We are still checking all the possible imports to see if there could be other shipments.”

Some of the toothpaste, which arrived several months ago in the free trade zone next to the Panama Canal, was re-exported to the Dominican Republic in seven shipments, customs officials said. A newspaper in Australia reported yesterday that one brand of the toothpaste had been found on supermarket shelves there and had been recalled.

Diethylene glycol is the same poison that the Panamanian government inadvertently mixed into cold medicine last year, killing at least 100 people. Records show that in that episode the poison, falsely labeled as glycerin, a harmless syrup, also originated in China.

There is no evidence that the tainted toothpaste is in the United States, according to American government officials.
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_594151...ce=most_viewed
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/19/wo...1 &ei=5087%0A

Quote:
Anyhow, middle class this middle class that. The American middle class is dying because they aren't learning new skills. The world has changed you can no longer be middle class while working low skill jobs. If you want to make more learn new skills. Many corporations have to import workers from India and China because they can't find enough talent in the US. And just to note, these workers are being paid well enough to be "middle class" in america.
Learning new skills?? I guess it is a skill to cross a border illegally and then work for table scraps. I guess that takes real talent. What corporations? Where do these workers live? It's not that corporations can’t find enough talent in the U.S., the corporations do not want to pay what should rightfully be paid to an American worker.

Quote:
anybody that thinks it can be solved by simply deporting millions of Mexicans is extremely naive.
It is extremely naive of you to think that the criminal immigrants that are crossing the border are doing America and most importantly American citizens any good. These people are uneducated peasants who will undercut every American just to get work. It is also naive of you to think that these people are not taking jobs from Americans. Who did they replace? I guess new jobs that didnt exist before the criminal immigrants crossed the border appeared at the same time they did. I have this last thing to say to you Humane Humanoid, If all of the illegals were deported and the Federal Government Revoked the Free Trade Act what do you think would happen? You act as if America would shut down without your criminal horde. It would not, the economy would take a hit but it would eventually work itself out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 PM

3,306 posts, read 3,328,572 times
Quote:
It's not that corporations can’t find enough talent in the U.S., the corporations do not want to pay what should rightfully be paid to an American worker.
Many of the major Tech companies import workers, they are paying decent wages. Like I said well enough to be considered "middle-class". They are importing the workers because they can't find enough people with the appropriate skills in the US. If an "American worker" is having trouble finding work with his current skill set then he should learn new skills.
Quote:
It is also naive of you to think that these people are not taking jobs from Americans. Who did they replace?
They didn't replace anybody. Most the jobs only exist because they are here, if they left the jobs would leave too.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:39 PM

451 posts, read 1,016,794 times
Quote:
Humanoid
Many of the major Tech companies import workers, they are paying decent wages. Like I said well enough to be considered "middle-class". They are importing the workers because they can't find enough people with the appropriate skills in the US. If an "American worker" is having trouble finding work with his current skill set then he should learn new skills.
Data please! The only data I have seen rebuts what you keep on saying. Bill Gates is one of those wanting to import workers...guess why! Its so he can pay them lower wages!

Quote:
Humanoid
They didn't replace anybody. Most the jobs only exist because they are here, if they left the jobs would leave too.
So you’re saying they brought their own jobs into this country then? And if they were to leave their job would go with them? Is that correct? This is what you are saying right?

I do believe you just figured out the way to send them all packing!! Hooray for you Humanoid!!!

If they take their jobs with them if they were to leave, then that means that they can all go back to their country of origin. This means that there is no reason for the criminal immigrants to be here illegally. They can go back to their country of origin and at the same time take the job that they currently have back with them.

That works for me!!! Thanks for clearing up the whole Illegal Criminal Immigration problem for me and the rest of America.

Last edited by chloedog; 05-30-2007 at 05:59 PM..

Old 05-30-2007, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Bill Gates is one of those wanting to import workers...guess why! Its so he can pay them lower wages!
Its not clear to me what "data" you want. I never suggested that the foreign workers are paid the same, only that they get wages that are well within the bounds of "middle-class".
Mircosoft is not the only company interested in H1-B visas. Its really hard to get data that shows that Microsoft or others really need the visas or not though. Its not something you can determine from the outside, only they truly know.

Additionally, its hard to know if there is a true labor shortage or not. But what is true is that companies are having problems finding people at the wages they are currently offering. If they raised wages would it allow their competitor to out do them? So even without a true labor shortage global competition can cause shortages because if the company did indeed raise labor costs then it would be out done by a foreign company.

Quote:
So you’re saying they brought their own jobs into this country then? And if they were to leave their job would go with them? Is that correct?
Ugh. No they didn't bring their own jobs. Instead their existence in the country allowed others to start businesses that utlized their labor. These business couldn't exist otherwise because they can't afford to pay high wages. People go on and on about big corporations, but the fact is the same issues effect the small guys too. I know many small businesses that rely on the existence of cheap labor in the US, without it their margins would be too low to exist.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Yac

5,875 posts, read 6,298,527 times
Calm down, please.
Yac.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:23 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,377,082 times
I would be interested to see ANY data from Humanoid. He is totally pro open-borders and amnesty for illegals, but where is the data to support claims about illegal aliens?

I would like some intelligent data and polls to back up the claims for/against illegal alien amnesty.

Anyone want to add their 2 cents??

Old 06-01-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
He is totally pro open-borders and amnesty for illegals
I don't recall suggesting the US borders should be "open", nor that there should be "amnesty for illegals". I did suggest that removing 10 million+ illegal immigrants from the US is both logistically and economical infeasible. I would be happy to look at any studies you have that talk about the costs and logistics of massive deportation though.

If you let a problem go unsolved for too long often there is no longer a good solution available.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:16 AM

7,731 posts, read 11,953,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The new census report says America's now one third minority. And in four states — California, New Mexico, Texas and Hawaii — whites are the minority. So with the infusion of as many as 20-30 million new citizens in the next 10 years the landscape of America will absolutely change.

Finally, the happiest guy in the country tonight is Senator Edward Kennedy because this amnesty is a boon to the Democratic Party. Most of the new citizens will become Democrats simply because of entitlements and peer pressure. Most of the illegals aliens in the USA are uneducated, are angry and dislike the USA and are only here for the jobs, and many are simply lazy and sell drugs or are on welfare. It's not pretty to have only 1 party running the country forever. That is NOT Democracy... that is the perfect setting for Tyranny and intolerance.

But when you look at the Amnesty bill (which politicians REFUSE to admit it is an amnesty bill, which it is, and if you cannot see, you are either blind or not the sharpest tool in the shed ) in detail it's an amazingly badly written bill. For example, there are at least 30,000 illegal immigrants who belong to gangs, which are violent, which are drug dealing.

Those 30,000 gang members, according to analysis I got a few minutes ago, would all be grandfathered in under a Z-visa and could not be deported. Now, I mean, this is as close to madness as anything I've seen in modern government.

The White House ALSO knocked out a provision to require that illegal immigrants at least pay back taxes. So every idiot American and legal immigrant pays taxes, but illegals don't??!? WTH?!?

This bill is a disaster. It is a failure. It should be defeated. It should cease to exist. The Senate ought to go back to regular business. They ought to try to produce an immigration bill through the regular committee process out in the open, where people can look at it, amend it, refine it, criticize it.

But this particular deal is as big a disaster as any Republican has had in my lifetime. And I predict if, in fact, it gets through the Senate, it will be a disaster for every Republican senator and for a lot of Democratic senators ... I think the anger is bipartisan. NO ONE other than large corporations and dumb ****s like George Bush (whom I formerly supported) want this to pass.

Tax-paying Americans do not want to be told that international gang members are going to be amnestied. And believe me, if they only have 24-hours to do a background check, these people WILL not have their backgrounds looked at. What American wants to be told that, as long as you are illegal you don't have to pay your back taxes?? Americans also don't want to be told that their desire to enforce the law means that they're bigots.

The Amensty bill (whatever it is they want to call it) is a shame and is the begining of the end of the USA. Makes you wnat NOT have any kids... after all, who would wnat to raise kids to live in an extremely ****ed up country where newly-legalized illegal aliens work for 1/2 of what US workers make and take all the jobs?

Any thoughts on any of this...??
That's shocking!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:21 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,942,001 times
I see H1B visa issue thrown about frequently on these forums.

To get more informed on this issue please google: H1B visa abuse ... there are numerous websites dedicated to this issue.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:38 PM

1,735 posts, read 4,140,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post

This is total BS. These tech workers are paid 1/3rd of what an American tech worker is paid and if there services are out sourced to their country they are paid even less.
There are plenty of Americans that can do these jobs, but they will not do them for 1/3rd of the pay. These high tech jobs were created by Americans. The big companies have gotten so greedy that they would rather put up with the hassles of out sourcing to increase their bottom line than keep Americans employed.

As for some of your other rants. If Mexicans would stick to just picking our fruit then there wouldn’t be any problem. Instead they are taking our middle class jobs by under bidding them. Example, construction has always been a good paying middle class blue collar job. These Mexicans have come in and cut the pay so much that Americans can’t support themselves much less a family.
Meat factories. These factory workers were once the hart of middle class workers now that the illegals have under cut the pay Americans had to either lower their living standards or find other work. Perfect example is the Swift Cos. They recently had a raid on illegals and had to shut down because so many employees were illegal. Now they have replaced their work force with legal Americans and they pay has more than doubled to attract workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or