U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-16-2010, 07:53 AM
 
14,307 posts, read 11,152,437 times
Reputation: 2130

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
If you sell the American people "Snake Oil", and we buy it, we cant complain when it doesnt work.

I've never porposed an Open border, and I dont advocate 2200 miles of US Mexico border fence.

In San Diego, Ca., A proposed 14 mile stretch of physical barrier fence was estimated to cost 1million dollars per mile, the actual cost-10 million per mile. 140 million dollars for 14 miles.

The fence is proposed to cost 6.7 Billion, How many more Border Patrol stations and agents would that buy?
Actually, the fence would be a one time expense. Hiring more Border Patrol instead would not be. They get a paycheck every week. We can put the military down there as they are already on the payroll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-16-2010, 08:02 AM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Reputation: 957
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Actually, the fence would be a one time expense. Hiring more Border Patrol instead would not be. They get a paycheck every week. We can put the military down there as they are already on the payroll.
Its against the Constituton to use the military in a civilian purpose...not for the "rights" of the border crossers, but because the Founding Fathers didint want the Military to be used in the US as a police force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
Its against the Constituton to use the military in a civilian purpose...not for the "rights" of the border crossers, but because the Founding Fathers didint want the Military to be used in the US as a police force.
Is it also against the Constitution for our military to defend this country against invading forces?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 08:48 AM
 
Location: ...at a 3AM epiphany
2,206 posts, read 2,138,677 times
Reputation: 453
Illegal Invasion is not a civil concern, it is a matter of national security to name only ONE very important main detail. We need to militarize the borders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM
 
3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Reputation: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Yes because its always better to allow unlimited access to our country. No need to make an effort to restrict who enters. After all we owe the world a free ride.
I didn't say that. Simply the border fence is and was a bad idea. Put it this way, how did the experiment work in San Diego? Less crossings near the city, but an increase in illegal immigrants? Why? Because they came via the border crossings, via going more easterly or even in the ocean.

Punative actions only won't stop the problem. Typically people aviod wars of attrition...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 12:02 PM
 
Location: SouthCentral Texas
3,855 posts, read 4,087,243 times
Reputation: 957
The Constitution is there, the beauty is that the FF made it so that if the American People want to change it or up grade it, it could be done at the ballot box.

The problem I see, is that the "Anti-immigrant" movement has No national leader. No leader what so ever. The movement is like a rudderless ship with No direction.

Libertarians changed their platform just recently, Libertarians believed in a free and open border; with workers moving freely across boundries.

Most Rebublicans dont believe in Deportation and believe in some sort of visa or guest worker program...with pathway as an option.

So who is the Leader of this Movement? Who is the American Political leader that will in act all this change?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
The Constitution is there, the beauty is that the FF made it so that if the American People want to change it or up grade it, it could be done at the ballot box.

The problem I see, is that the "Anti-immigrant" movement has No national leader. No leader what so ever. The movement is like a rudderless ship with No direction.

Libertarians changed their platform just recently, Libertarians believed in a free and open border; with workers moving freely across boundries.

Most Rebublicans dont believe in Deportation and believe in some sort of visa or guest worker program...with pathway as an option.

So who is the Leader of this Movement? Who is the American Political leader that will in act all this change?
Do tell, who are the members of the Anti-Immigrant Movement in need of leadership? I have no issue with “immigrants.” As a matter of fact, if not for legal immigration I would not have my wonderful son. However, I am anti-illegal immigration. There is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Do tell, who are the members of the Anti-Immigrant Movement in need of leadership? I have no issue with “immigrants.” As a matter of fact, if not for legal immigration I would not have my wonderful son. However, I am anti-illegal immigration. There is a difference.
Thus the confusion. Some folks just can not fathom the difference. Or they will compare illegal immigration to jaywalking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Thus the confusion. Some folks just can not fathom the difference. Or they will compare illegal immigration to jaywalking.
I am convinced the IA profiteers deliberately conflate legal/illegal, but their minions have been indoctrinated to NOT recognize the difference. Only those devoid of a conscience can willfully endorse something that’s wrong. I’m not sure what was in the Koolaid, but it was potent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2010, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,887,954 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
I didn't say that. Simply the border fence is and was a bad idea. Put it this way, how did the experiment work in San Diego? Less crossings near the city, but an increase in illegal immigrants? Why? Because they came via the border crossings, via going more easterly or even in the ocean.

Punative actions only won't stop the problem. Typically people aviod wars of attrition...
Ah you make a valid point. It forces them to use fewer places to cross. Ie fewer places to patrol. In other words it is herding them to predictable points of entry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top