U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 01:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Ah you make a valid point. It forces them to use fewer places to cross. Ie fewer places to patrol. In other words it is herding them to predictable points of entry.
Herding doesn't work when the border in question is about 2,000 miles. Again, San Diego showed this idea of "herding" didn't work.

This goes again to show that punative actions aren't the right methods for this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Herding doesn't work when the border in question is about 2,000 miles. Again, San Diego showed this idea of "herding" didn't work.

This goes again to show that punative actions aren't the right methods for this problem.
Sure they are. If you make the penalty severe enough as to far outweigh any benefit you create a deterrent.
Herding does work. Its forcing illegals to use decidedly more difficult routes to enter. This difficulty in itself is a deterrent.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:11 PM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,256 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

On topic: I refrained from commenting on the "fence" as I am only still learning the pro's, con's of said fence. I DO believe our borders need securing as a matter of national security. If we had not been having to focus mainly on mass illegal immigration, we could better serve our country by focusing on terrorists verses economic drainers, they've just made such a negative impact on this country, of course we need to stop them.
They are a national threat by proxy. Removing the illusion of amnesty coupled with no work for illegals, the border would settle allowing this country to do it's correct job of securing it's borders. Til then, unfortunately, whatever it takes to keep illegal aliens out of America to preserve an America worth saving.

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2010 at 03:43 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 PM

3,855 posts, read 4,084,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned
I want to ask a serious question of you. Ive been down that way, Siera Vista, Nogales, Bisbe. Do you think a physical barrier could be built in that area, say from Agua Prieta to Nogales?

Thats some tough land down there.

I would rather see the proposed 6.7 Billion go for more BP stations and Agents along the border.

Last edited by Yac; 02-17-2010 at 03:44 AM..

Old 02-16-2010, 02:46 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,144,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
The Constitution is there, the beauty is that the FF made it so that if the American People want to change it or up grade it, it could be done at the ballot box.

The problem I see, is that the "Anti-immigrant" movement has No national leader. No leader what so ever. The movement is like a rudderless ship with No direction.

Libertarians changed their platform just recently, Libertarians believed in a free and open border; with workers moving freely across boundries.

Most Rebublicans dont believe in Deportation and believe in some sort of visa or guest worker program...with pathway as an option.

So who is the Leader of this Movement? Who is the American Political leader that will in act all this change?
What anti-immigrant movement? I know of no such thing. I only know of an anti-illegal immigration movement. I would sure like to see some proof that most Republicans don't want illegals deported either voluntarily or involuntarily. We don't need a leader. We have our immigration laws on our side.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:08 PM

13,048 posts, read 21,158,596 times
We could always adopt the border control policies our southern neighbor, Mexico, employs on their southern neighbor, Guatemala. It seems to be working pretty well for them, no?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:10 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,881,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
We could always adopt the border control policies our southern neighbor, Mexico, employs on their southern neighbor, Guatemala. It seems to be working pretty well for them, no?
Works for me...

Old 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Talk about hypocrisy. But, that’s right, only the U.S. must coddle illegals and roll out the red carpet. Other governments have not only a right, but an obligation, to secure their borders and punish intruders. After all, they are only protecting their country. What a novel concept.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:29 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

Obviously; 'herding' is working since the death toll of illegal aliens is increasing due to them being forced through inhospitable areas i.e. deserts. Think of a 'passive' death strip along our southern border.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
I want to ask a serious question of you. Ive been down that way, Siera Vista, Nogales, Bisbe. Do you think a physical barrier could be built in that area, say from Agua Prieta to Nogales?

Thats some tough land down there.

I would rather see the proposed 6.7 Billion go for more BP stations and Agents along the border.
I want to say yes: E Germany built a ca. 800 mile barrier along the W German border and some to the terrain was rough so it would be feasible to do the same here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration