U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 04:11 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,201,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
i think that would be the case in cities with a more established hispanic populace. in places were labor drives migration (i.e. vegas, the south) it makes sense that the population might be a lot of immigrants (illegal or otherwise) who have essentially become gyspies. studies show that the south (and georgia in particular) saw a dramatic increase of hispnics in the last ten years.

they are leaving quicker than they showed up i suppose.

this also has to do with the economy being the way it is. business are suffering everywhere.

further, not all hispanics shop at the same places or look for the same products. [spanish] brand loyalty might be greater amongst recent arrivals as opposed to people who have been here longer. again, in places where the hispanic population has been around for longer/generations, you see the differnces amongst this group. its hard to generalize about hispanics in that sense.
Of course not all Hispanics like the same goods but it is not a stretch to say that most Hispanics relate to the same cultural foods and goods and go where they can buy them and that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 05:28 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,109,082 times
and i was saying that you can take 5 different hispanic families and each one will differ in shopping habits, based predominantly on factors like class, acculturation, language economics and even region. i know hispanic families that dont even eat "hispanic" foods. lots shop at costco and buy microwavable food. others eat fast food everyday. some only eat beans and rice (which varies depending on country). you would be suprised.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Of course not all Hispanics like the same goods but it is not a stretch to say that most Hispanics relate to the same cultural foods and goods and go where they can buy them and that was my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration