U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 07:23 AM

2,206 posts, read 2,137,548 times

Advertisements

Hispanics flee law, job loss *| ajc.com

Seems to me only those businesses that catered to those here illegally are having difficulty in remaining open. Guess they should have thought before focusing on criminals as thier source of income. All other outcomes of this enforcement shows it is a step in the right direction.

Quote:
Businesses in Cobb and Gwinnett have suffered staggering losses, said David Ruiz, who owns Shalom Distributors, an Atlanta-based company that supplies dozens of Hispanic grocery stores, gift shops and flea markets with their wares. After Cobb County implemented 287(g), stores that Ruiz supplied there plunged from 30 to five. Ruiz expected similar fallout in Gwinnett.
“The customers are leaving, they go to other states where there is no persecution or they go back to their country,” Ruiz said. “At Spanish neighborhoods, you see a lot of empty businesses.”
Quote:
The sharp decline might signal that illegal immigrants are leaving Gwinnett County to elude potential deportation, or unauthorized immigrants are avoiding contact with law enforcement, either by committing fewer crimes or by making themselves scarce, the sheriff said.
“It’s the proper outcome,” Conway said. “At this point I expect it to continue, probably exponentially.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 07:48 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Illegals are being persecuted? Oh, cry me a river! Where are all the legal Hispanics to support these businesses? Afterall, 2/3 of the Hispanic population are here legally.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:07 AM

32,799 posts, read 30,034,103 times
Three out of four of the nation’s unauthorized immigrants are Hispanic, and nearly half of them are couples with children, according to the Pew Hispanic Center.

Thanks govt for this mess. So if businesses can't do "business" without illegal business they fold? Good.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Illegals are being persecuted? Oh, cry me a river! Where are all the legal Hispanics to support these businesses? Afterall, 2/3 of the Hispanic population are here legally.
In all fairness: many Americans of 'Hispanic' lineage are against illegal immigration despite not coming out and stating that fact. Too; the former tend to frequent 'Anglo' establishments since quite a few do not even speak Spanish.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:20 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Oops! I didnít see your thread when I posted mine. Yes, illegals are leaving wherever laws are being enforced. Letís hope the exodus continues.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:41 AM

No matter, still the same outcome and all is ok with me! I double thread at times because as I search; another posts a thread before I get to it! Glad there are so many we can choose from these days.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:55 AM

14,307 posts, read 11,146,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
In all fairness: many Americans of 'Hispanic' lineage are against illegal immigration despite not coming out and stating that fact. Too; the former tend to frequent 'Anglo' establishments since quite a few do not even speak Spanish.
I know there are some Hispanic citizens who do not support illegal aliens but my point was since 2/3 of Hispanics are citizens or legal immigrants one would think there would be enough of them to support Hispanic oriented businesses. They are still culturally Hispanics and even if they don't speak Spanish the goods available to them in these establishments I would think would appeal to them. We can't assume that those who run these businesses are all illegal aliens that don't speak English.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:03 AM

I'll say it again:

Seems to me only those businesses that catered to those here illegally are having difficulty in remaining open (since the reduction of illegal aliens affects them). Guess they should have thought before focusing on criminals as thier source of income.

I agree chicagonut, if the businesses found that it could be sustained by a specific culture regardless of citizen status, in all probabilty should be able to remain. Obviously thier intentions were good for the culture but they targeted the wrong consumer group (illegal aliens) and are paying for it now.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:21 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getout View Post
I'll say it again:

Seems to me only those businesses that catered to those here illegally are having difficulty in remaining open (since the reduction of illegal aliens affects them). Guess they should have thought before focusing on criminals as thier source of income.

I agree chicagonut, if the businesses found that it could be sustained by a specific culture regardless of citizen status, in all probabilty should be able to remain. Obviously thier intentions were good for the culture but they targeted the wrong consumer group (illegal aliens) and are paying for it now.
Clearly, only those who risk deportation would fear shopping in these areas. Otherwise, they would not move due to the enactment of 287(g).

Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,068,069 times
i think that would be the case in cities with a more established hispanic populace. in places were labor drives migration (i.e. vegas, the south) it makes sense that the population might be a lot of immigrants (illegal or otherwise) who have essentially become gyspies. studies show that the south (and georgia in particular) saw a dramatic increase of hispnics in the last ten years.

they are leaving quicker than they showed up i suppose.

this also has to do with the economy being the way it is. business are suffering everywhere.

further, not all hispanics shop at the same places or look for the same products. [spanish] brand loyalty might be greater amongst recent arrivals as opposed to people who have been here longer. again, in places where the hispanic population has been around for longer/generations, you see the differnces amongst this group. its hard to generalize about hispanics in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I know there are some Hispanic citizens who do not support illegal aliens but my point was since 2/3 of Hispanics are citizens or legal immigrants one would think there would be enough of them to support Hispanic oriented businesses. They are still culturally Hispanics and even if they don't speak Spanish the goods available to them in these establishments I would think would appeal to them. We can't assume that those who run these businesses are all illegal aliens that don't speak English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration