Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM

50,241 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

CAPS - American Jackpot: The Remaking of America by Birthright Citizenship

We just gradually started assuming that birth was enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 03:19 PM

2,205 posts, read 2,535,465 times
Quote:
“We have this common understanding of when you come here to visit, that you are subject to our jurisdiction. You have to obey our traffic laws. If you come here from England, you have to drive on the right side of the road and not on the left side of the road,” he said. “But the framers of the 14th Amendment had in mind two different notions of ‘subject to the jurisdiction.’ There was what they called territorial jurisdiction— you have to follow the laws in the place where you are—but there was also this more complete, or allegiance-owing jurisdiction that held that you not only have to follow the laws, but that you owe allegiance to the sovereign. And that doesn’t come by just visiting here. That comes by taking an oath of support and becoming part of the body politic. And it is that jurisdiction that they are talking about in the 14th Amendment.”

Then by definition—and one would think common sense—legal tourists here to enjoy Disneyland and illegal immigrants who broke into the country clearly do not fall under this blanket of allegiance-owing jurisdiction. Accordingly, their giving birth on American soil does not make their children citizens.

Again, the correct interpretation. This loophole will be closed yet not soon enough for me.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:48 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
CAPS - American Jackpot: The Remaking of America by Birthright Citizenship

We just gradually started assuming that birth was enough.
WOW! What a LONG read, but well worth it.

I picked out this gem:

Yale professor Peter H. Schuck, who teaches immigration law and is one of the nation’s preeminent scholars on the issue of birthright citizenship, lays out the question that the president, Congress and the courts have dodged decisively answering: “If mutual consent is the irreducible condition of membership in the American polity, questions arise about a practice that extends birthright citizenship to the native born children of such illegal aliens,” Schuck writes in Citizenship Without Consent: Illegal Aliens in the American Polity. “The parents of such children are, by definition, individuals whose presence within the jurisdiction of the United States is prohibited by law and to whom the society has explicitly and self-consciously decided to deny membership. And if the society has refused to consent to their membership, it can hardly be said to have consented to that of their children who happen to be born while their parents are here in violation of American law.”

Why is this so hard for some people to understand?

Old 02-17-2010, 04:09 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,313,780 times
Nothing hard to understand about it at all. That is why I don't understand how it came to be interpreted incorrectly some time ago. I mean it is just common sense if nothing else. I hope this gets fixed and fast. The way it is now, our citizenship is just a mockery set up to be abused by non-allegiance holding immigraton violaters. Ideally, it would become retroactive but realistically it won't be.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:13 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,105,634 times
Quote:
Eastman states plainly that the framers of the 14th Amendment had no intention of allowing another country to wage demographic warfare against the U.S. and reshaping its culture by means of exploiting birthright citizenship.
Illegal immigrants from mostly Mexico are invading American cities all over America and changing its demographics at break light speed. Something which could not be done with legal immigration.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Illegal immigrants from mostly Mexico are invading American cities all over America and changing its demographics at break light speed. Something which could not be done with legal immigration.
I think it too late though by about 20 years. The demographics and identity of this country have been changed forever IMO. We will be just another Hispanic nation along with the other 22 already on the Western Hemisphere and this transformation didn't take place by natural means.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think it too late though by about 20 years. The demographics and identity of this country have been changed forever IMO. We will be just another Hispanic nation along with the other 22 already on the Western Hemisphere and this transformation didn't take place by natural means.
Not quite so fast: the pendulum of public opinion is starting to swing against this multiculturalism nonsense..........and fast.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Not quite so fast: the pendulum of public opinion is starting to swing against this multiculturalism nonsense..........and fast.
Yes it is but even without an amnesty there have been far too many anchors born of the Hispanic persuasion that will be entitled to remain here or will return here at a later date. They can sponsor their parents and other relatives to come here when they reach adulthood thus the demographic transformation.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:44 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Yes it is but even without an amnesty there have been far too many anchors born of the Hispanic persuasion that will be entitled to remain here or will return here at a later date. They can sponsor their parents and other relatives to come here when they reach adulthood thus the demographic transformation.
True. Although it would not surprise me to see the rules pertaining to sponsoring family members tightened significantly---------especially those individuals who were here illegally and would up being deported.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Nothing hard to understand about it at all. That is why I don't understand how it came to be interpreted incorrectly some time ago. I mean it is just common sense if nothing else. I hope this gets fixed and fast. The way it is now, our citizenship is just a mockery set up to be abused by non-allegiance holding immigraton violaters. Ideally, it would become retroactive but realistically it won't be.
We must always remember that common sense is not common any longer. Political Correctness has replaced it.

I realize that we do have a lot of illiterate people in the world, but I never dreamed that we had an even bigger problem with reading comprehension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration