Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,536 times

Advertisements

I need some help. I am a LEGAL resident alien daughter of US Citizens. I am here legally and have been since I was a little girl. I have three children and I do the best to support and provide for them. A year and a half ago I subleased half a building from a man to start a carwash. At the beginning i had not that many customers and sometimes i did not make enough to pay the rent but since I had some savings I always managed to be on time. Time passed by and I found out the man was here illegally by his own admiting. He also admited that all his workers were illegal and he had brought them here. I just kept to myself and worked hard, paid my rent on time . I have alot of customers now since I offera good service at a fair price. I have worked so hard and followed all the rules. Since he noticed that I have many customers he wants me out. Just like that!!The only document I have as a contract is the one signed by him when my father lent him money over and over again in which he states that as in good faith he would let me rent and would not drastically increase my rent. He says that it is not worth anything since it is not signed by a notary public. I told him that i would go to court and that if he kept trying to intimidate me I would call the inmigration on him . He replied that even if he was in jail he knew people outside that could harm me too. I have tried to look for another place to rent but cannot find one close enough. I am willing to go as far as three cities away but I have found nothing. I asked the OWNER to let me rent to him so as to avoid any problems with this man but he wont rent to me. How can that be so? He knows that he has been deported twice and he is back here illegaly. I do not want this man's business I just want to stay in a place where I have built my business and I am willing to pay to the owner the same he pays. What can I do to protect me? Don't I have any rights?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:46 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel7blur View Post
I need some help. I am a LEGAL resident alien daughter of US Citizens. I am here legally and have been since I was a little girl. I have three children and I do the best to support and provide for them. A year and a half ago I subleased half a building from a man to start a carwash. At the beginning i had not that many customers and sometimes i did not make enough to pay the rent but since I had some savings I always managed to be on time. Time passed by and I found out the man was here illegally by his own admiting. He also admited that all his workers were illegal and he had brought them here. I just kept to myself and worked hard, paid my rent on time . I have alot of customers now since I offera good service at a fair price. I have worked so hard and followed all the rules. Since he noticed that I have many customers he wants me out. Just like that!!The only document I have as a contract is the one signed by him when my father lent him money over and over again in which he states that as in good faith he would let me rent and would not drastically increase my rent. He says that it is not worth anything since it is not signed by a notary public. I told him that i would go to court and that if he kept trying to intimidate me I would call the inmigration on him . He replied that even if he was in jail he knew people outside that could harm me too. I have tried to look for another place to rent but cannot find one close enough. I am willing to go as far as three cities away but I have found nothing. I asked the OWNER to let me rent to him so as to avoid any problems with this man but he wont rent to me. How can that be so? He knows that he has been deported twice and he is back here illegaly. I do not want this man's business I just want to stay in a place where I have built my business and I am willing to pay to the owner the same he pays. What can I do to protect me? Don't I have any rights?
Call 1-866 DHS 2 ICE on this guy and notify the IRS as well.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:06 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Quote:
What can I do to protect me? Don't I have any rights?
With all the knowledge displayed here everyday, I'm sure that you came to the perfect place to get legal advise

Old 02-17-2010, 09:26 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
It was fine to do business with this fellow when it was beneficial to her, now that he wants to end the lease, she wants immigration called out?

Call ICE if you like, but you benefiting from that action is unconscionable.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 2,536 times
It wasn't benefitial to me, it was benefitial to him . I pay more than half his rent. When I started the business I had one, maybe two customers per day. Customers that paid 10 dollars per car washed. Trust me, that did not cover the rent. He did not care. He was there to collect the money every month and I had to take from my savins in hopes that business would pick up. It took me more than a year to start seeing some improvements. I worked almost till the day I gave birth to my youngest son. I worked in the heat and in the cold, from 7 am till 7 pm. That is the reason people kept coming back, I was a dependable carwash and that is why now I am doing ok. Moving somewhere else would mean to start from zero. I would not mind that much but I cannot even find a place to start. The reason he is kicking me out is because he goes to Mexico every year and crosses back with extra workers that are doing nothing right now . Since it has been slow for him and it is costing him money to have them standing there he wants them to work in the place I rent. And I could call Ice, yes I could and i could have done it along time ago but I do not want to hurt the other guys there. I want the owner to rent to me. I want my business, what I worked hard for. I don't want to get rid of him because it is convenient to me. I want him to leave me alone, I just want to keep working.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:34 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Quote:
It wasn't benefitial to me, it was benefitial to him . I pay more than half his rent. When I started the business I had one, maybe two customers per day. Customers that paid 10 dollars per car washed. Trust me, that did not cover the rent. He did not care. He was there to collect the money every month and I had to take from my savins in hopes that business would pick up. It took me more than a year to start seeing some improvements. I worked almost till the day I gave birth to my youngest son. I worked in the heat and in the cold, from 7 am till 7 pm. That is the reason people kept coming back, I was a dependable carwash and that is why now I am doing ok. Moving somewhere else would mean to start from zero. I would not mind that much but I cannot even find a place to start. The reason he is kicking me out is because he goes to Mexico every year and crosses back with extra workers that are doing nothing right now . Since it has been slow for him and it is costing him money to have them standing there he wants them to work in the place I rent. And I could call Ice, yes I could and i could have done it along time ago but I do not want to hurt the other guys there. I want the owner to rent to me. I want my business, what I worked hard for. I don't want to get rid of him because it is convenient to me. I want him to leave me alone, I just want to keep working.
Sorry, but the owner has no legal requirement to rent to you. Unfortunately, you used poor judgment by subleasing from someone you knew had no respect for the law. Did you actually expect him to honor a “gentlemen’s agreement?” You’ll just have to continue to search for a new location. If you fail, you will simply have to consider this experience costly, yet enlightening.

As AzBear suggested, report him to ICE, and the IRS. Given that his carwash operation could be a front for something else, you may also want to contact DHS.

However, be prepared to explain why you knowingly agreed to a business arrangement with an illegal alien; and why despite knowledge of previous deportations, and illegal employment practices, you felt no legal or moral obligation to contact authorities. No offense, but I believe there may be more to your story.

Just a suggestion. In the future, NEVER enter into an agreement involving your finances or livelihood, without a legally binding written contract. This applies to family members and friends as well. It will also be well worth the cost to seek the services of an attorney, rather than drafting your own contract. Notary publics provide a valuable service. However, they cannot offer legal advice, unless they are also an attorney. Good luck.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:53 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,088,985 times
Call ICE. If you do not want to call them, email one of us with the information and we will be more than happy to call ICE for you. If he signed an agreement it will still be recognized by the courts, with or without the notary. Lastly, if you have been here since you were a little girl, why have you not applied for citizenship?

Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,573,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
Call ICE. If you do not want to call them, email one of us with the information and we will be more than happy to call ICE for you. If he signed an agreement it will still be recognized by the courts, with or without the notary. Lastly, if you have been here since you were a little girl, why have you not applied for citizenship?
Oh Friend of Mine, I have a feeling....the OP is a fraud. LYING.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM

2,205 posts, read 2,536,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Sorry, but the owner has no legal requirement to rent to you. Unfortunately, you used poor judgment by subleasing from someone you knew had no respect for the law. Did you actually expect him to honor a “gentlemen’s agreement?” You’ll just have to continue to search for a new location. If you fail, you will simply have to consider this experience costly, yet enlightening.

As AzBear suggested, report him to ICE, and the IRS. Given that his carwash operation could be a front for something else, you may also want to contact DHS.

However, be prepared to explain why you knowingly agreed to a business arrangement with an illegal alien; and why despite knowledge of previous deportations, and illegal employment practices, you felt no legal or moral obligation to contact authorities. No offense, but I believe there may be more to your story.

Just a suggestion. In the future, NEVER enter into an agreement involving your finances or livelihood, without a legally binding written contract. This applies to family members and friends as well. It will also be well worth the cost to seek the services of an attorney, rather than drafting your own contract. Notary publics provide a valuable service. However, they cannot offer legal advice, unless they are also an attorney. Good luck.
I also question the authenticity of this OP yet the scenario is typical when dealing with lawless criminals.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:13 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
The problem is not the promissory note he signed for her dad. At issue is the fact that she has no lease. Had both parties signed a document specifying the terms, he could not arbitrarily terminate their agreement. IMHO, the story is suspect, as well as her status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration