U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 02:14 PM

398 posts, read 1,266,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollies mom View Post
So I was thinking......(could be a dangerous thing, my thinking) so many say our economy would suffer if we got rid of all the illegal immigrants here now and we would have no one to take the jobs they now hold (I don't believe it).......seems to me I remember people stating there being a long wait for those who choose to enter legally...........lets work out a trade off. Start to bring those into the country on those long lines that have been approved while at the same time removing those that are here illegally. I don't think it's fair to those who chose to come here by following all the proper procedures that they wait forever while this country decides what to do with the illegal bunch we have here now..........simple to me, DEPORT the illegal and replace with the legal who have been waiting for some what amounts to many years. You will then have workers to take those jobs the illegals are now doing........at least until the new immigrants get used to their new country and learn the language and customs............these would then be followed by more of the same as others continue coming here legally. At the same time we need to get aggresive and quick on the treatment of the illegals, forget the trials and such that stall their deportation and cost the taxpayers money........you're here illegally YOU GO IMMEDIATELY. Sound like a plan to anyone?

I support you. At this point, ANYTHING, and I repeat, ANYTHING is better than the current situation.

WE WILL NEVER HAVE LACK OF PEOPLE WILLING TO DO SPECIFIC JOBS AND TASKS. Even if we deport 100% of illegal immigrants and halt the legal immigration system, we can put a sign on the border saying "we need people to work for money in the USA, immigration approved for free", One day after I bet you we will have one billion of people from all around the world waiting on the border.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 02:53 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,573,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambina View Post
Well, I am a legal permanent resident in the USA, since 3 years. Married since 16 years to an US citizen, and having 4 children with him. We lived together in germany for 10 years. When we decided to move the whole family back to my husbands home country it took us 2 years to get all the paperwork done, we needed an affidavid of support, proof of clean criminal records, international birth certificates, proof of paid taxes the last 2 years, we had to show where we have been living in the last 15 years, where we travelled, I mean everything! And it cost us a good amount of money. But it never even crossed our mind entering the US just like that...
I am from germany myself, (legally ) and had to deal with the same stuff. Well, mine was a bit more challenging, because of some SS ties in my family
Well, guess what, THAT came up, as well as a lot of military stuff as well, brother in the Bundeswehr/ Intelligence and then husband in the US Army. Huh...I was caught somewhat in the middle.
I was interviewed twice by the Honorable Consul in Frankfurt/ Germany
But, I never gave up, just to do the right and legal thing...instead of coming here being a parasite and leech!

Old 06-03-2007, 03:28 PM

18,696 posts, read 35,486,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post
I support you. At this point, ANYTHING, and I repeat, ANYTHING is better than the current situation.

WE WILL NEVER HAVE LACK OF PEOPLE WILLING TO DO SPECIFIC JOBS AND TASKS. Even if we deport 100% of illegal immigrants and halt the legal immigration system, we can put a sign on the border saying "we need people to work for money in the USA, immigration approved for free", One day after I bet you we will have one billion of people from all around the world waiting on the border.
I agree. Anything is better then what's currently happening. But we had better think it out and do it right, not just throw a bandaid at the broken arm.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:09 PM

646 posts, read 1,637,830 times
Quote:
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++
I remember there being quotas on immigration when I was young, they were put in place to keep a balance so that the country wasn't overrun with any one group and it gave the newcomers time to assimilate into their new country, most of them back then came thru NYC and it never was like it is now. Maybe a lot of them shouldn't be allowed to immigrate legally so the balance remains equal, after all this is American.................not Mexico, China, Germany or any other nation............Our first thought needs to be what is good for us,not what these people want, and being over run with many illegals seems to not be making Americas citizens happy. I feel sorry for many of them for the conditions in their own countries that make them want to come here, but it's up to them to change it there, not to come here and change the face of America.
"Quotas on immigration" is a very broad concept, are you referring to a particular kind such as permanent residency based on family ties, employment or something else? I would suggest that instead of trying to remember how things were when you were young that you read about the current rules before making factual inaccurate statements. To become a permanent resident in the US you currently have these options:

- Lottery (55,000/year)
- Employment (Mostly only people with advanced skills and abilities who need to be sponsored by an employer in the US)
- Family member (only people with close ties to US citizens)
- Registry (you've resided in the US since 1972)
- Investment (15,000/year)

So, under which provision could most of the people who are entering the US illegally request to enter the country lawfully on a permanent basis?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:16 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,573,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
"Quotas on immigration" is a very broad concept, are you referring to a particular kind such as permanent residency based on family ties, employment or something else? I would suggest that instead of trying to remember how things were when you were young that you read about the current rules before making factual inaccurate statements. To become a permanent resident in the US you currently have these options:

- Lottery (55,000/year)
- Employment (Mostly only people with advanced skills and abilities who need to be sponsored by an employer in the US)

So, under which provision could most of the people who are entering the US illegally request to enter the country lawfully on a permanent basis?

Goosh, that's a good one...huh...let's see.
At first I wanted to say "none", but then I remembered, that it would have to be the "family member" choice, because of anchor babies being "lawfull US citizens".
Am I right?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:31 PM

233 posts, read 390,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglecall View Post

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
I fully agree with this statement! I cannot think of one thing that illegal immigration does to make this country better in any way...........can anyone else?

Old 06-03-2007, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post

- Lottery (55,000/year)

Maybe none of them, but then who's to say we need them here if they don't meet the list of requirements that have been set up. All I know is that after living with immigration and enjoying seeing and meeting people from all different countries and cultures for more than 50 years I have never seen things as bad as they are now and never seen the citizens of this country as up in arms over the immigration problems we have now. We have people here who willingly break our laws by entering the country and some people seem to feel they deserve a pass on the penalty for doing this............does that mean I too can get a pass if I decide to break into your home and rob it because you have more than I do and are living better than I ever have a hope to?

Old 06-03-2007, 07:43 PM

646 posts, read 1,637,830 times
Quote:
Maybe none of them, but then who's to say we need them here if they don't meet the list of requirements that have been set up. All I know is that after living with immigration and enjoying seeing and meeting people from all different countries and cultures for more than 50 years I have never seen things as bad as they are now and never seen the citizens of this country as up in arms over the immigration problems we have now. We have people here who willingly break our laws by entering the country and some people seem to feel they deserve a pass on the penalty for doing this............does that mean I too can get a pass if I decide to break into your home and rob it because you have more than I do and are living better than I ever have a hope to?
I thought you/others wanted them to just go ahead and apply the legal way, but as you see, there is no such option for most. The people who are in line the legal way will most likely NOT be in the market for many of the jobs that illegal aliens do today.
I think the current proposed bill isn't such a bad idea, it will give these illegal aliens a penalty and they will be sent to the back of the line since everybody currently in line will be processed first so there is no jumping in the line. Also, unemployment is very low right now, so you can't really say that they are "stealing" the jobs from people who reside lawfully in the country.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:31 PM

[quote=Stockholmaren;822530]I thought you/others wanted them to just go ahead and apply the legal way, but as you see, there is no such option for most. The people who are in line the legal way will most likely NOT be in the market for many of the jobs that illegal aliens do today.
I think the current proposed bill isn't such a bad idea, it will give these illegal aliens a penalty and they will be sent to the back of the line since everybody currently in line will be processed first so there is no jumping in the line. Also, unemployment is very low right now, so you can't really say that they are "stealing" the jobs from people who reside lawfully in the country.[/QUOTE+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++

I do prefer that they apply the legal way FROM THIER OWN COUNTRY before they ever jump the border and arrive here illegally and thumb their nose at us and our immigration laws...........I dare say that if the tables were reversed and it was Americans who were sneaking into their country by the millions we would be immediately deported or become citizens of their penal system, so why should our treatment of them be anything other than what we would expect if we did as they are doing. As for the people in the legal line not wanting to do those jobs available, hey you take what you can get just to be able to come here, most of us here have had to work jobs that we hated or we felt were beneath us at one time or another in our careers, so why should the immigrants be any different. I think most people that I have talked to about it feel that we should have a number of total immigrants we allow in each year and divide that among all who apply, seems fair to me that way. If the number is 100 and we have people from 10 countries looking to enter then each country would get 10 slots, if there are not enough people (10) who wish to come then they forfit the empty slots, they do not get picked up by any other country, seems to me we would be keeping a balance of all peoples entering instead of being overwhelmed by one group which seems to be what most posters here are angy at. Legal immigration is close to my heart as I grew up learning about all different nationalities and cultures and wish the same for my grandchildren.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:24 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,026,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delaneyland View Post
Another idea...reduce the welfare roles by requiring work from those that are able...let prisoners do "the jobs nobody wants"....I could go on and on...

I still vote for sending the illegals out of the country forever insteading of the back of the line, they jumped over the line and shouldn't be allowed back into line!! (does that make sense or have I had too much coffee??)
As long as you're consistent about rule breakers. We have to look carefully at whom we allow to enter; I don't think "cutting in line" is the most serious of offenses of people coming in. There are likely many folks "in line" obeying the immigration rules that have broken some other rule. I don't have a problem with them going to the end of the line. As long as they understand and comply with the notion that in order to receive the protection of our laws, you must submit to their jurisdiction. What I resent is giving them immediate amnesty. That would be a slap in the face of legals. Sending them to the end of the line after they have paid back taxes, etc, sounds fair; if they slack off on paying, they can't get in line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or